* announcing the toaster test framework
@ 2015-04-27 17:22 Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2015-04-27 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

I put together a couple of scripts that will monitor the toaster mailing
list, and provide smoke testing on each patchset submitted to review
request.

A very rough form of these scripts existed for some time, but I've taken
time to clean that up, and enough code to be able to add tests very easily,
and make everything a bit more reliable.

It lives outside of the poky/ or bitbake/ trees, and you can check out the
code here, until moved to a proper repo.

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yocto-tts/master

Currently, my installation is emailing tests results only to me, but once
I've been satisfied that it doesn't crash or burn the mailing list, I will
update the setup to mail results directly to the mailing list.

You can also use it to manually run tests on your branch prior to
submission.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Damian
Yocto Project

* Re: announcing the toaster test framework
@ 2015-04-28 19:54 ` Michael Wood
From: Michael Wood @ 2015-04-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

On 27/04/15 18:22, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put together a couple of scripts that will monitor the toaster
> mailing list, and provide smoke testing on each patchset submitted to
> review request.
>
> A very rough form of these scripts existed for some time, but I've
> taken time to clean that up, and enough code to be able to add tests
> very easily, and make everything a bit more reliable.
>
> It lives outside of the poky/ or bitbake/ trees, and you can check out
> the code here, until moved to a proper repo.
>

> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yocto-tts/master
>

> Currently, my installation is emailing tests results only to me, but
> once I've been satisfied that it doesn't crash or burn the mailing
> list, I will update the setup to mail results directly to the mailing
> list.
>

> You can also use it to manually run tests on your branch prior to
> submission.

I know this wasn't an RFC but I do have one question... you're
encoraging people to write tests for this new framework, but when are we
saying a test be sent to the "toaster test framework" and when should it
be a unit test in Toaster?

...My thoughts are that if it's possible to write the unit test in
toaster with django[1] (i.e no external tools) then that should be the
primary place for tests, we should be in the habbit of running
./manage.py test pre-submission of patches. Those tests are broken or
missing at the moment, so I hope we can fix those first.

What do you think?

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/error-report-web/tree/Post/test.py

@ 2015-04-29  9:27   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2015-04-29  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wood, Michael G, toaster

On 28/04/2015 20:54, "Michael Wood" <michael.g.wood@intel.com> wrote:

>On 27/04/15 18:22, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I put together a couple of scripts that will monitor the toaster
>> mailing list, and provide smoke testing on each patchset submitted to
>> review request.
>>
>> A very rough form of these scripts existed for some time, but I've
>> taken time to clean that up, and enough code to be able to add tests
>> very easily, and make everything a bit more reliable.
>>
>> It lives outside of the poky/ or bitbake/ trees, and you can check out
>> the code here, until moved to a proper repo.
>>

>>http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yocto-tts/m
>>aster
>>

>> Currently, my installation is emailing tests results only to me, but
>> once I've been satisfied that it doesn't crash or burn the mailing
>> list, I will update the setup to mail results directly to the mailing
>> list.
>>

>> You can also use it to manually run tests on your branch prior to
>> submission.
>>

>I know this wasn't an RFC but I do have one question... you're
>encoraging people to write tests for this new framework, but when are we
>saying a test be sent to the "toaster test framework" and when should it
>be a unit test in Toaster?
>
>...My thoughts are that if it's possible to write the unit test in
>toaster with django[1] (i.e no external tools) then that should be the
>primary place for tests, we should be in the habbit of running
>./manage.py test pre-submission of patches. Those tests are broken or
>missing at the moment, so I hope we can fix those first.

So, we have unit tests in django that developers can run before submitting
their patches. We also have the stuff from Alex, which will run tests on
patches submitted to the mailing list. Both things seem useful, but I
wonder: is there any way we could integrate them into a coherent workflow?
Could we centralise all tests in django, for example, and run them on the
patches landing on the mailing list just in case developers didn't or
didn't catch a failed result?

I am not sure this would make sense, but just in case it does ...

Cheers

Belén

@ 2015-05-01  9:10   ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2015-05-01  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Wood; +Cc: toaster

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Michael Wood <michael.g.wood@intel.com>
wrote:

> On 27/04/15 18:22, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I put together a couple of scripts that will monitor the toaster mailing
>> list, and provide smoke testing on each patchset submitted to review
>> request.
>>
>> A very rough form of these scripts existed for some time, but I've taken
>> time to clean that up, and enough code to be able to add tests very easily,
>> and make everything a bit more reliable.
>>
>> It lives outside of the poky/ or bitbake/ trees, and you can check out
>> the code here, until moved to a proper repo.
>>

>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=yocto-tts/master
>>

>> Currently, my installation is emailing tests results only to me, but once
>> I've been satisfied that it doesn't crash or burn the mailing list, I will
>> update the setup to mail results directly to the mailing list.
>>

>> You can also use it to manually run tests on your branch prior to
>> submission.
>>

> I know this wasn't an RFC but I do have one question... you're encoraging
> people to write tests for this new framework, but when are we saying a test
> be sent to the "toaster test framework" and when should it be a unit test
> in Toaster?
>
> ...My thoughts are that if it's possible to write the unit test in toaster
> with django[1] (i.e no external tools) then that should be the primary
> place for tests, we should be in the habbit of running ./manage.py test
> pre-submission of patches. Those tests are broken or missing at the moment,
> so I hope we can fix those first.
>
> What do you think?

​This would be ideal. I'm preparing a test in the TTS that will run the
Django unit tests, but the TTS is designed to smoke-run (is this a term?)
functional tests before pushing upstream.

It is not intended to replace unit testing, which should occur in Django
tests, as you described. So it's an addition, not a replacement.

@ 2015-05-01  9:15     ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2015-05-01  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: toaster