* Re: Minimal GPLv3-free x86 image
@ 2015-05-14  4:24 Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2015-05-14  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Rosenqvist, yocto; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

On 5/13/15, 12:11 AM, "Dan Rosenqvist" <danro@kth.se> wrote:

>Hi,

Hi Dan,

>I'm trying to create a minimal GPLv3-free x86 image using the yocto
>project. As I'm looking for ways around the GPLv3 license, I'm unable to
>use certain packages (such as the live-install which depends on parted,
>and grub-2.0).

First - I am not a lawyer - just getting that out there.

>Instead I'm trying to create a minimal filesystem, stored as a tarball,
>which includes grub-0.97.

So dropping the live image type avoids the first set of issues.

Is your target system using legacy PC BIOS or UEFI?

If UEFI, then you can specify EFI_PROVIDER = "gummiboot" and use that
instead of grub-efi as gummiboot is LGPL v2.

If you are using PC BIOS, have you considered not using grub at all and
just relying on syslinux, GPL v2 or later.

> To install the image in the target environment (currently a virtual
>machine) I use a small bootable linux image used to set up the partitions
>and extracting
> the tarball image. After doing so, I mount proc and dev to be able to
>chroot into the target file system and run grub-install (to set up grub
>in the mbr). However, grub-install seem to segfault (a lot), and later
>prints out that the installation was successful.

Grub-install is a nightmare in my experience, and doubly so in atypical
environments as you describe. Without a lot more diagnostics, straces,
etc, I can't offer much advice.

Which device are you attempting to install grub to?

>This methodology has previously been working with gentoo minimal builds.

Same version of Grub?

--
Darren

>It feels like I can't be the only one who is in need of a minimalistic
>GPLv3-free x86 build, is there someone here who might be able to guide me
>in the right direction?
>
>Regards,
>Dan
>

>--