* Question about how brightness up/down to call the code of xf86-video-intel like intel_output_dpms_backlight etc
@ 2013-07-12  8:53 Li, Hao H
From: Li, Hao H @ 2013-07-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hi

When we press the key like brightness up/down from keyboard, kernel will receive the keyevent.
My question is how the keyevent from kernel call the code of xf86-video-intel like intel_output_dpms_backlight etc to adjust the backlight.
Can someone help to explain more details about it?

Thanks!

Li Hao
Best Regards
Email:hao.h.li@intel.com<mailto:hao.h.li@intel.com>

Tizen Enabling Team
Software and Service Group
Intel Asia-Pacific Research & Development Ltd.
Tel: 86-21-61167039

* Re: Question about how brightness up/down to call the code of xf86-video-intel like intel_output_dpms_backlight etc
@ 2013-07-12 12:10 ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2013-07-12 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Hao H; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:53:23AM +0000, Li, Hao H wrote:
> Hi
>
> When we press the key like brightness up/down from keyboard, kernel will receive the keyevent.
> My question is how the keyevent from kernel call the code of xf86-video-intel like intel_output_dpms_backlight etc to adjust the backlight.
> Can someone help to explain more details about it?

Kernel doesn't call the brightness adjustment code. There's a bit of
bonghits in acpi where the acpi brightness keys directly adjust the acpi
backlight, but that's just not yet been fixed.

What's supposed to happen is that userspace listens to this key event and
reacts appropriately, e.g. by adjusting the brightness but also by drawing
a nice brightness scale on the screen

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: Question about how brightness up/down to call the code of xf86-video-intel like intel_output_dpms_backlight etc
@ 2013-07-13  0:29   ` Li, Hao H
From: Li, Hao H @ 2013-07-13  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: intel-gfx

For userspace listens to this key event and reacts appropriately, is it done on gnome-shell? Or any other packages?

Thanks!