* [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-04-25 16:36 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-04-25 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper,
	Marek Marczykowski, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant,
	committers, Jan Beulich, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Chao Gao

Alright,

there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag. E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".

The options which seemed to have least objections are
1: [ANNOUNCE]
2: [OPERATIONS]
3: [PROCESS]

And that we should use these for other messages/announcements related to the operation of Xen Project Development.

In the interest of time, please vote for each option with -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 in line of our governance under Lazy Voting (https://xenproject.org/developers/governance/#lazyconsensus and scroll down a bit) before end of Day Monday, the 29th

Regards
Lars

On 25/04/2019, 10:04, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:

    >>> Those e-mails become easily unnoticed on xen-devel when you are not CCed. In all
    >>> honesty, I probably missed the all those e-mails for the past year because they
    >>> didn't land in my inbox. Yes I think they are important for the maintainers to
    >>> see what's going on.
    >>
    >> So you're not subscribed to xen-devel?
    >
    > Not everyone has time to go through xen-devel. I only received e-mail where I am
    > CCed in my inbox. All the others are queued in a folder.

    Oh, so just a matter of terminology. This means you still get them,
    you just have to fish them out.

    >>> Could we find a way to easily filter them? On IRC, Juergen suggested [Procces].
    >>> Any opinions?
    >>
    >> How would a tag help? That tag would be there on all the replies
    >> of people not trimming the Cc lists. And if you asked them to drop
    >> the tag, they'd surely honor the request as much as they do
    >> honor the Cc list clipping one.
    >
    > I honestly don't expect a low volume of e-mail on such tagged e-mail. So I don't
    > see any concern here.

    I'm confused by your reply: Either you inverted the sense and
    meant you don't expect a high volume of mails, or you really
    love getting mountains of mail.

    And just to be clear - I'm not really opposed to the tagging
    approach, I'm merely afraid that it'll not help and / or get
    abused (again).

    Jan

[-- Attachment #2: IRC-LOG.pdf --]

* [Xen-devel] [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-04-25 16:36 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-04-25 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper,

* Re: [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-04-25 22:59   ` Rich Persaud
From: Rich Persaud @ 2019-04-25 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper,
	Marek Marczykowski, Luwei Kang, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Jan Beulich, Pu Wen, xen-devel,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Chao Gao

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 12:36, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Alright,
>
> there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag. E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
>
> The options which seemed to have least objections are
> 1: [ANNOUNCE]
> 2: [OPERATIONS]
> 3: [PROCESS]
>
> And that we should use these for other messages/announcements related to the operation of Xen Project Development.

On mobile devices, shorter subjects are better.  A [xen-devel] email already has one 11-character tag. Since tags are in CAPITALS, abbreviated tags = less SHOuting.

> [Diziet] Only because we copy everything from -announce to -devel.

Some mailing lists use [ANN] for announcements.  Email mirrored to xen-devel from -announce could prefix the [ANN] tag, which would not be used for non-mirrored email, since all announcements would be directed to -announce.

> [gwd] But in my mind, things like RM updates (which happen pretty regularly) and say, Developer Summit announcements, are different things.

The messages which prompted this discussion were related to release management.  These were called RM in the IRC discussion, which suggests [RM] as a possible tag.  It's quick to type and non-distracting to read.  This would not preclude other tags for non [RM] messages.

Rich

* Re: [Xen-devel] [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-04-25 22:59   ` Rich Persaud
From: Rich Persaud @ 2019-04-25 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper,

@ 2019-04-26  9:47     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-04-26  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski,
	Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, committers, Pu Wen,
	Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk, Chao Gao

>>> On 26.04.19 at 00:59, <persaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  On Apr 25, 2019, at 12:36, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Alright,
>>
>> there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The
> consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag.
> E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
>>
>> The options which seemed to have least objections are
>> 1: [ANNOUNCE]
>> 2: [OPERATIONS]
>> 3: [PROCESS]
>>
>> And that we should use these for other messages/announcements related to the
> operation of Xen Project Development.
>
> On mobile devices, shorter subjects are better.  A [xen-devel] email already
> has one 11-character tag. Since tags are in CAPITALS, abbreviated tags = less
> SHOuting.
>
>> [Diziet] Only because we copy everything from -announce to -devel.
>
> Some mailing lists use [ANN] for announcements.  Email mirrored to xen-devel
> from -announce could prefix the [ANN] tag, which would not be used for
> non-mirrored email, since all announcements would be directed to -announce.
>
>> [gwd] But in my mind, things like RM updates (which happen pretty regularly)
> and say, Developer Summit announcements, are different things.
>
> The messages which prompted this discussion were related to release
> management.  These were called RM in the IRC discussion, which suggests [RM]
> as a possible tag.  It's quick to type and non-distracting to read.  This
> would not preclude other tags for non [RM] messages.

Otoh the shorter you make a tag, the more ambiguous it becomes.
This may not be an issue to people involved in the discussion here,
or regularly reading the list, but it may easily be confusing to others
(and even the ones mentioned first, if it gets used rarely enough).

Jan

From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-04-26  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,

@ 2019-04-26  9:50   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-04-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Chao Gao

>>> On 25.04.19 at 18:36, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
> Alright,
>
> there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The
> consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag.
> E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
>
> The options which seemed to have least objections are
> 1: [ANNOUNCE]

+1

If mails to xen-announce really get reflected to xen-devel (I didn't
know this, and hence would have pointlessly sent stable release
announcements to both lists), then preferably with the tag
getting added in the process of reflecting.

> 2: [OPERATIONS]

-1

> 3: [PROCESS]

0

Jan

From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-04-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Chao Gao

>>> On 25.04.19 at 18:36, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
> Alright,
>
> there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The
> consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag.
> E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
>
> The options which seemed to have least objections are
> 1: [ANNOUNCE]

+1

If mails to xen-announce really get reflected to xen-devel (I didn't
know this, and hence would have pointlessly sent stable release
announcements to both lists), then preferably with the tag
getting added in the process of reflecting.

> 2: [OPERATIONS]

-1

> 3: [PROCESS]

0

Jan

* Re: [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-05-01 16:03     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Chao Gao

Hi all,

I almost dropped this: apologies. With the votes in, we have a clear winner for [ANNOUNCE] over the other options

ANNOUNCE	1	2	2
OPERATIONS	-1	-1	1
PROCESS	0	0	-2

Lars

On 26/04/2019, 03:50, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:

    >>> On 25.04.19 at 18:36, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
    > Alright,
    >
    > there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The
    > consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag.
    > E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
    >
    > The options which seemed to have least objections are
    > 1: [ANNOUNCE]

    +1

    If mails to xen-announce really get reflected to xen-devel (I didn't
    know this, and hence would have pointlessly sent stable release
    announcements to both lists), then preferably with the tag
    getting added in the process of reflecting.

    > 2: [OPERATIONS]

    -1

    > 3: [PROCESS]

    0

    Jan

From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Chao Gao

Hi all,

I almost dropped this: apologies. With the votes in, we have a clear winner for [ANNOUNCE] over the other options

ANNOUNCE	1	2	2
OPERATIONS	-1	-1	1
PROCESS	0	0	-2

Lars

On 26/04/2019, 03:50, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:

    >>> On 25.04.19 at 18:36, <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
    > Alright,
    >
    > there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The
    > consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag.
    > E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
    >
    > The options which seemed to have least objections are
    > 1: [ANNOUNCE]

    +1

    If mails to xen-announce really get reflected to xen-devel (I didn't
    know this, and hence would have pointlessly sent stable release
    announcements to both lists), then preferably with the tag
    getting added in the process of reflecting.

    > 2: [OPERATIONS]

    -1

    > 3: [PROCESS]

    0

    Jan

* Re: [VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: Xen 4.13 Development Update)
@ 2019-05-01 18:37     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski,
	Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, committers,
	'Jan Beulich',
	Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk, Chao Gao

Rich,
as nobody replied to the mail, I am inclined to dismiss the proposal of ANN for now
Lars

From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,

@ 2019-05-01 18:56       ` Rich Persaud
From: Rich Persaud @ 2019-05-01 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Andrew Cooper, Marek Marczykowski,
	Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall, Paul Durrant, committers,
	Jan Beulich, Pu Wen, Luwei Kang, Volodymyr Babchuk, Chao Gao

> On May 1, 2019, at 14:37, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Rich,
> as nobody replied to the mail, I am inclined to dismiss the proposal of ANN for now
> Lars

What do you think about the suggestion to apply a tag ("ANNOUNCE"?) for emails that are mirrored to xen-devel from the -announce mailing list?  Jan commented on that suggestion in a separate thread.

From: Rich Persaud @ 2019-05-01 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Lars Kurth, Wei Liu, xen-devel,

@ 2019-05-02 14:35         ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud, Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,

On 01/05/2019, 12:56, "Rich Persaud" <persaur@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On May 1, 2019, at 14:37, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Rich,
    > as nobody replied to the mail, I am inclined to dismiss the proposal of ANN for now
    > Lars

    What do you think about the suggestion to apply a tag ("ANNOUNCE"?) for emails that are mirrored to xen-devel from the -announce mailing list?  Jan commented on that suggestion in a separate thread.

I think that's fine, although we may have to change how the announce list works, otherwise on that list we get "[xen-announce] [ANNOUNCE] ..." if messages are cross posted, which would be odd and will surely annoy some people
Lars

From: Lars Kurth @ 2019-05-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud, Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,

       [not found] <6DD29A1E-62F8-45C3-B381-04DCEA350C02@citrix.com-0>
@ 2019-04-25 17:06 ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2019-04-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Pu Wen,
	Marek Marczykowski, Luwei Kang, Dario Faggioli, Julien Grall,
	Paul Durrant, committers, Jan Beulich, Andrew Cooper, xen-devel,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Chao Gao

Lars Kurth writes ("[VOTE] tagging for operational messages sent to xen-devel@ (was Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.13 Development Update)"):
> Alright,
>
> there was a lengthy discussion on this topic on IRC - log attached. The consensus appears to be to use Canonical messages with a CAPITALISED tag. E.g. "[TAG] Xen 4.13 Development Update".
>
> The options which seemed to have least objections are
> 1: [ANNOUNCE]

+2

> 2: [OPERATIONS]

+1 (on the basis that we should have *something* and this will do,
   not because I like it)

> 3: [PROCESS]

-2

> And that we should use these for other messages/announcements related to the operation of Xen Project Development.

Ian.