* packagegroup not appearing in HOB
@ 2015-10-07 17:36 Allen Curtis
From: Allen Curtis @ 2015-10-07 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I created a packagegroup file as per the instructions called packagegroup-foo.bb

Within that file I define 2 package groups as such.

PACKAGES = "\
 packagegroup-foo-apps \
 packagegroup-foo-tools \
"

RDEPENDS_packagegroup-foo-apps = "…"

RDEPENDS_packagegroup-foo-tools = "…"

However, when I run HOB and inspect the list of packages it shows packagegroup-foo but it does not list packagegroup-foo-apps or packagegroup-foo-tools.

Is this correct?

How do I verify the groups are created correctly so I can complete implementation using the new group definitions?

TIA

* Re: packagegroup not appearing in HOB
@ 2015-10-12 14:01 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2015-10-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Curtis, yocto

On 07/10/2015 18:36, "yocto-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of Allen
Curtis" <yocto-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of
allen.curtis@curtisembedded.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I created a packagegroup file as per the instructions called
>packagegroup-foo.bb
>
>Within that file I define 2 package groups as such.
>
>PACKAGES = "\
> packagegroup-foo-apps \
> packagegroup-foo-tools \
>"
>
>RDEPENDS_packagegroup-foo-apps = "Š"
>
>RDEPENDS_packagegroup-foo-tools = "Š"
>
>However, when I run HOB and inspect the list of packages it shows
>packagegroup-foo but it does not list packagegroup-foo-apps or
>packagegroup-foo-tools.
>
>Is this correct?
>
>How do I verify the groups are created correctly so I can complete
>implementation using the new group definitions?

Hi Allen,

Hob development has been on hold for quite a while, so I am not sure how
reliable the list of packages currently is.

If you would like to know if your package group is set up correctly, and
you want to do it with a graphical tool, you can use Toaster, which is the
replacement for Hob. There is a manual here

www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/toaster-manual/toaster-manual.html

And a quick video tutorial here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gDg75FwFo

Assuming you are building with 1.8 fido, you can set up Toaster
dependencies as explained here

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/toaster-manual/toaster-manual.html#toa
ster-manual-start

And then run Toaster locally as explained here

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/toaster-manual/toaster-manual.html#set
ting-up-locally-and-running-in-build-mode

You would then need to import your custom layer (the one providing your
package group) and build packagegroup-foo

Once the build finishes, you can select it, view the list of packages
built, search for packagegroup-foo, and look at its dependencies. If the
package group is working as intended, the dependencies should list
packagegroup-foo-apps and packagegroup-foo-tools, and in turn the
dependencies for each of those should list the RDEPENDS you specified.

I know this all sounds quite convoluted, but it's actually not too bad :)
This is how the RDEPENDS for a package group look like in Toaster

http://imgur.com/E7OCp08

If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers

Belén