* First design proposal - building non-Git layers
@ 2016-06-14 11:01 Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2016-06-14 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster; +Cc: Avery, Brian, Tufto, Kathleen, Eggleton, Paul

Hi all,

I've put together an initial proposal to cover the following requirements

* get Toaster to build layers not set up as Git repositories
* build without Internet connectivity.

The design proposal is explained in this video

https://youtu.be/N6gvTtZUP3Y

I hope it's not too boring.

This is just a starting point: the goal of the video is to kick off a
discussion on how to enable this functionality. Things can change as much
as needed, so don't be afraid of expressing concerns, asking questions,
making alternative proposals or saying that you don't like it at all.

I've organised a design review meeting as follows:

Date: July 7th 2016
Time: 4pm BST / 8am PST / 8:30pm IST
Tel: 1-888-875-9370
Bridge: 4
Passcode: 1434913

Until then, feel free to send your feedback / questions by replying to
this thread. I am away for a couple of weeks from tomorrow, but I will
collect all feedback on my return. If you can, please also attend the
design review, since decisions are made there that you might care about,
and the review is your best chance to have your say.

Thanks!

Belén

* Re: First design proposal - building non-Git layers
@ 2016-06-14 11:36 ` sujith h
From: sujith h @ 2016-06-14 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Avery, Brian, Tufto, Kathleen, Eggleton, Paul, toaster

Hi Belen,

Initially I posted this reply on wrong thread. My mistake.

Thanks a bunch for the visual presentation using a video. I have a comment
to share. This works great if user has lets say, 1-4 layers to add from
local path. But if there are, lets say, 10-15 layers then a bulk addition
of layers might be helpful. Hope this comment makes sense :)

Thanks,
Sujith H

--
സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
Bangalore

* Re: First design proposal - building non-Git layers
@ 2016-07-06 11:17   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2016-07-06 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sujith h; +Cc: Tufto, Kathleen, toaster

On 14/06/2016 12:36, "sujith h" <sujith.h@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Belen,
>

>Initially I posted this reply on wrong thread. My mistake.
>

>Thanks a bunch for the visual presentation using a video. I have a
>comment to share. This works great if user has lets say, 1-4 layers to
>add from local path. But if there are, lets say, 10-15 layers then a bulk
>addition of layers might be helpful. Hope this
> comment makes sense :)

It does make sense. I guess it depends on what we are talking about here.
There are 3 cases I can see:

1) You want the users of your Toaster instance to have easy access to a
set of 15 layers, so that they can choose from those 15 the subset they
want to add to bblayers.conf

2) You want the users of your Toaster instance to create projects that
have all 15 layers already added to bblayers.conf

3) You are a Toaster user and you build the same 15 layers all the time in
all your projects

Which case of the 3 did you have an in mind?

The bulk addition would somehow address number 3, but so would the ability
to clone an existing project, which might be easier and faster for users.

For number 1, the right solution would be pre-populating the Toaster
database you provide to your users with the 15 layers so that, when users
create a project, the 15 layers are listed in the "all layers" page and
users can click a button to add them to, and remove them from bblayers.conf

For number 2, you would do as above, plus you would specify all 15 layers
as the default project layers, so any project created with Toaster will be
created with the 15 layers already added to bblayers.conf. The existing
toasterconf.json file we use for configuration has the ability to specify
the default project layers, and I think we should keep it if we move to a
different way of defining configuration for Toaster.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Belén