* guidelines on new entity-manager classes
@ 2019-11-26  1:02 Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-11-26  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Shawn McCarney, Matthew Barth

Hi James

another EM question for you...

Are there any guidelines or best practices on upstreaming EM configurations?  Put another way, if I wanted to ensure that you would accept my configurations with new types or classes (e.g. Pid, ADC, etc..), what would I need to do up front to make that process as smooth as it can be?

thx - brad

* Re: guidelines on new entity-manager classes
@ 2019-11-26 17:28 ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-11-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: Shawn McCarney, OpenBMC Maillist

On 11/25/19 5:02 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> Hi James
>
> another EM question for you...
>
> Are there any guidelines or best practices on upstreaming EM configurations?  Put another way, if I wanted to ensure that you would accept my configurations with new types or classes (e.g. Pid, ADC, etc..), what would I need to do up front to make that process as smooth as it can be?

EM configurations are meant to be flexible, and as long as the daemon
understands it, and the Type is unique, there shouldn't be any issues.
There is a script here to make it a bit more pretty that CI will fail if
it is not ran
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/scripts/autojson.py.
The only real things that block configuration reviews are things that
can make them shorter (using the template stuff when possible). But as
they are per vendor, I normally let each vendor own their own destiny
with the files.

There is a json schema
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/schemas/global.json
that I eventually have the dream of creating a script to generate a
schema for every checked-in Type, but I'm not there yet.

-James

> thx - brad

* RE: [ExternalEmail] Re: guidelines on new entity-manager classes
@ 2019-11-28  6:41   ` Troy.Lee
From: Troy.Lee @ 2019-11-28  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, Brad Bishop; +Cc: Shawn McCarney, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi James,

Is there a cmake option to NOT install entity-manager/configurations?
It would be easier for vendors to install their own configurations.

Thanks,
Troy Lee

> Are there any guidelines or best practices on upstreaming EM configurations?  Put another way, if I wanted to ensure that you would accept my configurations with new types or classes (e.g. Pid, ADC, etc..), what would I need to do up front to make that process as smooth as it can be?

EM configurations are meant to be flexible, and as long as the daemon understands it, and the Type is unique, there shouldn't be any issues.
There is a script here to make it a bit more pretty that CI will fail if it is not ran https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/scripts/autojson.py.
The only real things that block configuration reviews are things that can make them shorter (using the template stuff when possible). But as they are per vendor, I normally let each vendor own their own destiny with the files.

There is a json schema
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/schemas/global.json
that I eventually have the dream of creating a script to generate a schema for every checked-in Type, but I'm not there yet.

-James

> thx - brad

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of the e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies from your system.

* Re: [ExternalEmail] Re: guidelines on new entity-manager classes
@ 2019-12-02  7:53     ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-12-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troy.Lee, James Feist, Brad Bishop; +Cc: Shawn McCarney, OpenBMC Maillist

Tony,
You can upload your own config file in entity manager repository. Or you can also install it through bbappend file.

Regards
-Vijay