* enabling USB Host controller on ppc405ex based board
@ 2009-11-03  3:04 Jignesh Patel
From: Jignesh Patel @ 2009-11-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Mukunda Saddi

Hi,

We have Kilauea based board using ppc405ex. & it has usb-otg tranciever chi=
p on it.

I am trying to enable USB Host Controller Driver in linux kernel (version D=
ENX 2.6.27-stable).  For this to be enabled, I also have to enable PCI in k=
ernel config.
But when I load the kernel uImage with both USB Host Controller & PCI optio=
ns selected in kernel config, the board doesn't boot up properly. Boot proc=
ess halts after loading device tree.

When I load the kernel without PCI options selected, kernel boots up proper=
ly.  But removing PCI config option also removes USB Host Controller option=
s in kernel.

My questions are:
1. Why is PCI config required for USB Host Controller options to be enabled=
 in kernel config?
2. What needs to be done to boot our board with PCI & USB enabled kernel?

Best regards,

-Jignesh=

* Re: enabling USB Host controller on ppc405ex based board
@ 2009-11-03  7:33 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-11-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jignesh Patel; +Cc: Mukunda Saddi, linuxppc-dev, eldk

Dear Jignesh Patel,

please do not post the same messages several times to several mailing
lists.

In message <D7C6597E47CDAD4BA48EE3D2B03B385102E7C3CE9D@VMBX113.ihostexchange.net> you wrote:

> We have Kilauea based board using ppc405ex. & it has usb-otg
> tranciever chip on it.
>
> I am trying to enable USB Host Controller Driver in linux kernel
> (version DENX 2.6.27-stable). For this to be enabled, I also have to

Please note that the Synopsys USB driver in our  tree  has  not  been
maintained  for  a long time. Over time, it detoriated. Only recently
we have put some more efforts into it to at least make it work again.
It still is in a pretty poor state, which is the main reason we never
attempted to push this upstream.  [In  my  opinion  it  needs  to  be
rewritten from scratch.]

For the relevant changes please see for example
http://git.denx.de/?p=linux-2.6-denx.git;a=commit;h=126bae384eacef18bcae302024d49e25a06cb648

> My questions are:
> 1. Why is PCI config required for USB Host Controller options to be enabled in kernel config?
> 2. What needs to be done to boot our board with PCI & USB enabled kernel?

Please use a more recent kernel version - either use top of tree from
the master branch of our repository, or a recent version from our
2.6.30.y or 2.6.31.y stable branches, i. e at least DENX-v2.6.30.3 or
DENX-v2.6.31.4

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
Conceptual integrity in turn dictates that the  design  must  proceed
from  one  mind,  or  from  a  very small number of agreeing resonant
minds.               - Frederick Brooks Jr., "The Mythical Man Month"

* Re: enabling USB Host controller on ppc405ex based board
@ 2009-12-20 15:13 Weirich, Bernhard
From: Weirich, Bernhard @ 2009-12-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

If you enable PCI on 405EX you MUST have valid clock signals on the PCIE po=
rts. If you do not have these on your board your kernel will hang just as y=
ou said.

I do not know why PCI is required for the USB controller, if it is just for=
 some software interfaces to be present then you can try to remove the PCIE=
 entries from the kilauea.dts device tree.
Then you will be able to boot even without proper clock signals, yet I do n=
ot know whether the USB controller will work.

Best regards,
Bernhard