* UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-18 16:03 Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-08-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi all,

I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its APIs will be almost the same as
current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do some changes:

	1. Add PIN remain retry count support
	2. replace properties 'Present' 'PinRequired' and 'LockedPins' with a new add property 'Status'

Properties	string Status [readonly]

			Contains the string type of the status of the SIM.
			The possible values are:
			"ready" - Not waiting for a password
			"pin" - SIM PIN is required
			"phone" - Phone-to-SIM PIN is required  [GSM only]
			"firstphone" - Phone-to-very-first SIM
						PIN is required  [GSM only]
			"pin2" - SIM PIN2 is required
			"network" - Network Personalization password is
						required  [GSM only]
			"netsub" - Network subset personalization
						password is required  [GSM only]
			"service" - Service Provider personalization
						password is required  [GSM only]
			"corp" - Corporate personalization password
						is required  [GSM only]
			"puk" - SIM PUK is required
			"firstphonepuk" - Phone-to-very-first SIM PUK is
						required  [GSM only]
			"puk2" - SIM PUK2 is required
			"networkpuk" - Network personalization unblocking
						password is required  [GSM only]
			"netsubpuk" - Network subset personalization
						unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
			"servicepuk" - Service provider personalization
						unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
			"corppuk" - Corporate personalization unblocking
						password is required  [GSM only]
			"absent" - No SIM inserted

		array{uint8} PinRetryCount [readonly]

			 Contains the remain retry count of PIN,PIN2,PUK and PUK2

I marked all the values that only support in GSM with [GSM only].

Yes, ofono current API is OK. This is just my suggestion. Maybe I should completely
follow current SIM manger atom's APIs.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Caiwen

* Re: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-18 16:55 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

> I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its APIs will be almost the same as
> current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do some changes:
>
> 	1. Add PIN remain retry count support
> 	2. replace properties 'Present' 'PinRequired' and 'LockedPins' with a new add property 'Status'
>
> Properties	string Status [readonly]
>
> 			Contains the string type of the status of the SIM.
> 			The possible values are:
> 			"ready" - Not waiting for a password
> 			"pin" - SIM PIN is required
> 			"phone" - Phone-to-SIM PIN is required  [GSM only]
> 			"firstphone" - Phone-to-very-first SIM
> 						PIN is required  [GSM only]
> 			"pin2" - SIM PIN2 is required
> 			"network" - Network Personalization password is
> 						required  [GSM only]
> 			"netsub" - Network subset personalization
> 						password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"service" - Service Provider personalization
> 						password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"corp" - Corporate personalization password
> 						is required  [GSM only]
> 			"puk" - SIM PUK is required
> 			"firstphonepuk" - Phone-to-very-first SIM PUK is
> 						required  [GSM only]
> 			"puk2" - SIM PUK2 is required
> 			"networkpuk" - Network personalization unblocking
> 						password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"netsubpuk" - Network subset personalization
> 						unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"servicepuk" - Service provider personalization
> 						unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"corppuk" - Corporate personalization unblocking
> 						password is required  [GSM only]
> 			"absent" - No SIM inserted

why? What is wrong with the current properties? I like to see this from
the UI point of view (and ConnMan as one user) why we should change it.

> 		array{uint8} PinRetryCount [readonly]
>
> 			 Contains the remain retry count of PIN,PIN2,PUK and PUK2

Only uint8 is needed here. The UI doesn't care about the retries other
PINs. I only care about the current one it needs to enter.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-19  6:32 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2010-08-19  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

"Zhang, Caiwen" <Caiwen.Zhang@windriver.com> writes:

> I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its APIs will be almost the same as
> current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do some changes:
>
> 	1. Add PIN remain retry count support

Doesn't GSM also support this? If yes, any pointers/tips how to access
the retry count from the modem/SIM? I need this in my UI and I would
like to give a shot implementing this in ofono, but I don't know where
to start.

(Actually I doubt that my Huawei E1552 even supports this, but miracles
do happen some times...)

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-19  8:15   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-19  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Kalle,

> > I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its APIs will be almost the same as
> > current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do some changes:
> >
> > 	1. Add PIN remain retry count support
>
> Doesn't GSM also support this? If yes, any pointers/tips how to access
> the retry count from the modem/SIM? I need this in my UI and I would
> like to give a shot implementing this in ofono, but I don't know where
> to start.

yes, GSM modems support this as well. It is just vendor specific.

> (Actually I doubt that my Huawei E1552 even supports this, but miracles
> do happen some times...)

Yes, the Huawei supports this as well. Check $QCPINSTAT or ^CPIN
commands.

Regards

Marcel

* RE: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-19  9:48     ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-08-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your review. I don't know what is wrong with our company's
Mail server. I miss your reply mail. Fortunately,I see it on the ofono
website.
I create a similar mail. Hope it looks the same.

only]
> > 			"pin2" - SIM PIN2 is required
> > 			"network" - Network Personalization password is
> > 						required  [GSM only]
> > 			"netsub" - Network subset personalization
> > 						password is required
[GSM only]
> > 			"service" - Service Provider personalization
> > 						password is required
[GSM only]
> > 			"corp" - Corporate personalization password
> > 						is required  [GSM only]
> > 			"puk" - SIM PUK is required
> > 			"firstphonepuk" - Phone-to-very-first SIM PUK is
> > 						required  [GSM only]
> > 			"puk2" - SIM PUK2 is required
> > 			"networkpuk" - Network personalization
unblocking
> > 						password is required
[GSM only]
> > 			"netsubpuk" - Network subset personalization
> > 						unblocking password is
required
> [GSM only]
> > 			"servicepuk" - Service provider personalization
> > 						unblocking password is
required
> [GSM only]
> > 			"corppuk" - Corporate personalization unblocking
> > 						password is required
[GSM only]
> > 			"absent" - No SIM inserted
>
> why? What is wrong with the current properties? I like to see this
from
> the UI point of view (and ConnMan as one user) why we should change
it.

Current properties are OK. I think maybe we can improve it. Generally,
user
Only care the SIM status, e.g. whether SIM is insert or need input
password.
In fact, He/she doesn't care which Pins are locked. So we can simplify
it.
replace 'Present' 'PinRequired' with "Status" and remove 'LockedPins'.

In fact, there is no way to get all the Locked Pins, 'LockedPins'
property
Value maybe incorrect.

> > 		array{uint8} PinRetryCount [readonly]
> >
> > 			 Contains the remain retry count of PIN,PIN2,PUK
and
> PUK2
>
> Only uint8 is needed here. The UI doesn't care about the retries other
> PINs. I only care about the current one it needs to enter.

There are some cases that need show PIN remain retry count  but the SIM
status
is ready (Not waiting for a password).
such as, activates/ deactivate PIN lock.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Best regards,

@ 2010-08-19 10:57       ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-19 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

> > > I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its
> > APIs will be almost the same as
> > > current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do
> some
> > changes:
> > >
> > > 	1. Add PIN remain retry count support
> > > 	2. replace properties 'Present' 'PinRequired' and 'LockedPins'
> > with a new add property 'Status'
> > >
> > > Properties	string Status [readonly]
> > >
> > > 			Contains the string type of the status of the
> SIM.
> > > 			The possible values are:
> > > 			"ready" - Not waiting for a password
> > > 			"pin" - SIM PIN is required
> > > 			"phone" - Phone-to-SIM PIN is required  [GSM
> only]
> > > 			"firstphone" - Phone-to-very-first SIM
> > > 						PIN is required  [GSM
> only]
> > > 			"pin2" - SIM PIN2 is required
> > > 			"network" - Network Personalization password is
> > > 						required  [GSM only]
> > > 			"netsub" - Network subset personalization
> > > 						password is required
> [GSM only]
> > > 			"service" - Service Provider personalization
> > > 						password is required
> [GSM only]
> > > 			"corp" - Corporate personalization password
> > > 						is required  [GSM only]
> > > 			"puk" - SIM PUK is required
> > > 			"firstphonepuk" - Phone-to-very-first SIM PUK is
> > > 						required  [GSM only]
> > > 			"puk2" - SIM PUK2 is required
> > > 			"networkpuk" - Network personalization
> unblocking
> > > 						password is required
> [GSM only]
> > > 			"netsubpuk" - Network subset personalization
> > > 						unblocking password is
> required
> > [GSM only]
> > > 			"servicepuk" - Service provider personalization
> > > 						unblocking password is
> required
> > [GSM only]
> > > 			"corppuk" - Corporate personalization unblocking
> > > 						password is required
> [GSM only]
> > > 			"absent" - No SIM inserted
> >
> > why? What is wrong with the current properties? I like to see this
> from
> > the UI point of view (and ConnMan as one user) why we should change
> it.
> >
> Current properties are OK. I think maybe we can improve it. Generally,
> user
> Only care the SIM status, e.g. whether SIM is insert or need input
> password.
> In fact, He/she doesn't care which Pins are locked. So we can simplify
> it.
> replace 'Present' 'PinRequired' with "Status" and remove 'LockedPins'.
>
> In fact, there is no way to get all the Locked Pins, 'LockedPins'
> property
> Value maybe incorrect.

actually the user and the UI cares about which PIN is locked. It has to
tell the user which PIN to enter and how long it is. So that is
important.

> > > 		array{uint8} PinRetryCount [readonly]
> > >
> > > 			 Contains the remain retry count of PIN,PIN2,PUK
> and
> > PUK2
> >
> > Only uint8 is needed here. The UI doesn't care about the retries other
> > PINs. I only care about the current one it needs to enter.
> >
> There are some cases that need show PIN remain retry count  but the SIM
> status
> is ready (Not waiting for a password).
> such as, activates/ deactivate PIN lock.

And when is that. I don't see that use case. Why would you show the
remaining entries if your SIM card is active and unlocked?

Please provide clear examples where this would be needed.

Regards

Marcel

* RE: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-20  3:12         ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-08-20  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Marcel,

[GSM
> > only]
password is
only]
personalization
required
> > [GSM only]
personalization
required
> > [GSM only]
password
[GSM only]
SIM PUK
> is
only]
> > unblocking
required
> > [GSM only]
personalization
password is
> > required
> > > [GSM only]
personalization
password is
> > required
> > > [GSM only]
> unblocking
required
> > [GSM only]
> > >
> > > why? What is wrong with the current properties? I like to see this
> > from
> > > the UI point of view (and ConnMan as one user) why we should
change
> > it.
> > >
> > Current properties are OK. I think maybe we can improve it.
Generally,
> > user
> > Only care the SIM status, e.g. whether SIM is insert or need input
> > password.
> > In fact, He/she doesn't care which Pins are locked. So we can
> simplify
> > it.
> > replace 'Present' 'PinRequired' with "Status" and remove
'LockedPins'.

> > In fact, there is no way to get all the Locked Pins, 'LockedPins'
> > property
> > Value maybe incorrect.
>
> actually the user and the UI cares about which PIN is locked. It has
> tell the user which PIN to enter and how long it is. So that is
> important.

Generally, SIM status (I mean +CPIN? Result) will be PIN required at two
cases:
	1. when the modem is power on
		a)PIN lock is enabled. or
		b) case 2 has occur Before power off last time and the
password is not reset.

	2. When user input wrong password time reach the max count,
required input relatives PUK,
to reset the password.

In other status, the SIM status is always be 'READY'.

e.g. enable PIN lock

To achieve this, use AT command: +CLCK= "SC", 1, <PIN>
At this time the SIM status is still be 'READY'
Even after input PIN error twice.

Once input PIN incorrect three times the Status changes to PUK required
(case 2 of above case).

That's to say, once the modem is power on. SIM status
Will always be ready. Except above case 2 occurs.
When case 1 or 2 occurs, user have to input password, otherwise,
Modem enter function limited mode.

For other cases that user must input password, they are independent on
The SIM status, it is always required. Such as when enable/disable PIN
lock (above example),
Always require PIN; When Enable/disable FDN (fixed dialing number)
always required input PIN2.

That's to say, when enter password wrong, it doesn't mean it is locked,
it just subtract the retry count 1. When must input password, it not
always due to SIM status
changes to password required case.

> PIN,PIN2,PUK
> > and
> > > PUK2
> > >
> > > Only uint8 is needed here. The UI doesn't care about the retries
> other
> > > PINs. I only care about the current one it needs to enter.
> > >
> > There are some cases that need show PIN remain retry count  but the
> SIM
> > status
> > is ready (Not waiting for a password).
> > such as, activates/ deactivate PIN lock.
>
> And when is that. I don't see that use case. Why would you show the
> remaining entries if your SIM card is active and unlocked?
>
> Please provide clear examples where this would be needed.

e.g.
	I'd like to protect my phone. So I enter the setting to enable
PIN lock.
Before do this, I see I have ever try this twice (as the description
above at
this time the SIM status is still 'READY')and failed due to I'm not sure
the
PIN code. It is very useful, because if I am not sure the PIN code and
PUK code
I will not try, otherwise if fail again my device will be locked.

@ 2010-08-20  8:26           ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-20  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

> [...]
>
> To achieve this, use AT command: +CLCK= "SC", 1, <PIN>
> At this time the SIM status is still be 'READY'
> Even after input PIN error twice.
>
> Once input PIN incorrect three times the Status changes to PUK required
> (case 2 of above case).
>
> That's to say, once the modem is power on. SIM status
> Will always be ready. Except above case 2 occurs.
> When case 1 or 2 occurs, user have to input password, otherwise,
> Modem enter function limited mode.
>
> For other cases that user must input password, they are independent on
> The SIM status, it is always required. Such as when enable/disable PIN
> lock (above example),
> Always require PIN; When Enable/disable FDN (fixed dialing number)
> always required input PIN2.
>
> That's to say, when enter password wrong, it doesn't mean it is locked,
> it just subtract the retry count 1. When must input password, it not

for PIN and PUK this is always the case the PinRequired is filled in.

Currently nothing inside oFono even attempts to use PIN2 or PUK2. We
have no support for FDN. And even if we would have then it seems more
reasonable to solve this problem in that interface. Crossing interfaces
for totally independent functions seems wrong to me.

> > PIN,PIN2,PUK
> > > and

> > other
> > > >
> > > There are some cases that need show PIN remain retry count  but the
> > SIM
> > > status
> > > is ready (Not waiting for a password).
> > > such as, activates/ deactivate PIN lock.
> >
> > And when is that. I don't see that use case. Why would you show the
> > remaining entries if your SIM card is active and unlocked?
> >
> > Please provide clear examples where this would be needed.
> >
> e.g.
> 	I'd like to protect my phone. So I enter the setting to enable
> PIN lock.
> Before do this, I see I have ever try this twice (as the description
> above at
> this time the SIM status is still 'READY')and failed due to I'm not sure
> the
> PIN code. It is very useful, because if I am not sure the PIN code and
> PUK code
> I will not try, otherwise if fail again my device will be locked.

But then again, when unlocked it is the PIN again in the first place. If
you try it wrong three times you phone gets locked and then it is the
PUK again. They always happen in one order.

I must be missing something really obvious here, but I just don't see
your use case. Then PinRequired=none, we can have PinRetry=3 and that is
perfectly fine. Even if the PIN check is not enabled.

Regards

Marcel

* RE: UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-23  2:27   ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-08-23  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi andrzej,

Sorry, I misunderstand 'LockedPINs' property's meaning.

If so, we should initialize its value at the first time SIM is ready. I see
currently, its value is initialized with the result of +CPIN?
If it is used as the purpose that you said, it should be +CLCK=<pin type>,2

Besides, the possible values of this property are: "pin","phone","firstphone"
"pin2","network","netsub","service","corp". It can't be other puk relative values.

Maybe we can use a method to replace this property. Such as:
	Boolean GetPinLock(string type)
If the return value is TURE, means PIN authentication is enabled, otherwise,
Means PIN authentication is disabled.

Thanks!

@ 2010-08-20 14:13 ` andrzej zaborowski
From: andrzej zaborowski @ 2010-08-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

On 19 August 2010 05:46, Zhang, Caiwen <Caiwen.Zhang@windriver.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to implement an UIM manager atom for CDMA extension. Its APIs will be almost the same as
> current SIM manger atom's APIs.  But I suggest maybe will can do some changes:
>
>        1. Add PIN remain retry count support
>        2. replace properties 'Present' 'PinRequired' and 'LockedPins' with a new add property 'Status'
>
> Properties      string Status [readonly]
>
>                        Contains the string type of the status of the SIM.
>                        The possible values are:
>                        "ready" - Not waiting for a password
>                        "pin" - SIM PIN is required
>                        "phone" - Phone-to-SIM PIN is required  [GSM only]
>                        "firstphone" - Phone-to-very-first SIM
>                                                PIN is required  [GSM only]
>                        "pin2" - SIM PIN2 is required
>                        "network" - Network Personalization password is
>                                                required  [GSM only]
>                        "netsub" - Network subset personalization
>                                                password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "service" - Service Provider personalization
>                                                password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "corp" - Corporate personalization password
>                                                is required  [GSM only]
>                        "puk" - SIM PUK is required
>                        "firstphonepuk" - Phone-to-very-first SIM PUK is
>                                                required  [GSM only]
>                        "puk2" - SIM PUK2 is required
>                        "networkpuk" - Network personalization unblocking
>                                                password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "netsubpuk" - Network subset personalization
>                                                unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "servicepuk" - Service provider personalization
>                                                unblocking password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "corppuk" - Corporate personalization unblocking
>                                                password is required  [GSM only]
>                        "absent" - No SIM inserted

This API does not convey the information that LockedPINs conveys.
LockedPINs can be useful if you wanted a settings application that can
enable and disable PIN authentication.

Best regards

* UIM manager atom APIs review request
@ 2010-08-19  3:46 Zhang, Caiwen