* This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-02 21:27 Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-02 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I've successfully built core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, with NO
modifications, no meta-oe layer to pull in Samba, no attempt to partition
the flash drive, just the .hddimg file dd'ed to /dev/sdb, to see if I can
get something, anything to boot out of the box.

I get a kernel panic when it tries to boot on my Intel DN2800MT mobo, with
1GB of RAM. The error messages, which appear on the attached VGA monitor,
are:

VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
here are the available partitions:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
User configuration error - no valid root filesystem found

Here is the syslinux.cfg file that is controlling the boot:

# Automatically created by OE
serial 0 115200
ALLOWOPTIONS 1
DEFAULT boot
TIMEOUT 10
PROMPT 1
LABEL boot
KERNEL /vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=boot  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318
LABEL install
KERNEL /vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=install  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318

This is a live-image boot, and the flash drive contains the usual five
files. As far as I can tell, a live-image boot is a two-stage boot beginning
with a really stripped down vmlinuz and a small RAM-disk read from initrd,
which then reads the big rootfs.img into another RAM-disk and tries to boot
the real kernel from that. I don't know which kernel is panicking, because
it all flies by so fast.

Any ideas, or am I cursed?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-02 23:57 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-02 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Followup:

I figured I'd try a sato build, since that's what the example on the BSP
page uses. But core-image-sato-cedartrail-nopvr panics in the same way as
core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr. For sato, I surmised maybe 1GB wasn't
enough, so I put in a second stick. This time, instead of spewing out a lot
of kernel startup stuff ending in a panic, it gave me a SYSLINUX signon on
the top of the screen, sat there for about 10 seconds, then rebooted into
the BIOS, repeatedly. So I put back core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, and it
also gave me the SYSLINUX signon, and rebooted after 10 seconds.

The fact that it behaves differently with 2GB suggests that maybe 1GB isn't
enough, but that seems hard to imagine even for sato, let alone the base
console version. I've run Ubuntu on these particular RAM modules, on a
different motherboard, so I don't think I've got bad RAM.

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. For all my work, and
apparently successful builds, I haven't managed to boot anything yet.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 15:38 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-04-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

Hi Paul,

First off, please CC the relevant maintainers of the recipes and BSPs
you are having trouble with. The README in the cedartrail BSP lists
Kishore as the maintainer, now on CC. This will help improve response
time to your post as well as getting the right people looking at it.

Kishore, can you please work with Paul to get him booting?

Some ideas on things to check/try inline below.

On 04/02/2013 02:27 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I've successfully built core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, with NO
> modifications, no meta-oe layer to pull in Samba, no attempt to partition
> the flash drive, just the .hddimg file dd'ed to /dev/sdb, to see if I can
> get something, anything to boot out of the box.
>
> I get a kernel panic when it tries to boot on my Intel DN2800MT mobo, with
> 1GB of RAM. The error messages, which appear on the attached VGA monitor,
> are:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
> here are the available partitions:
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> User configuration error - no valid root filesystem found

Believe it or not, this is the single most common boot error in the
history of boot errors on Linux :-)

It is telling you there is no block device called "ram0" to load and
there are no other block devices detected. The USB stick doesn't show up
here because USB can take a while to enumerate and unless you tell the
kernel to wait for it, it doesn't. That shouldn't be your problem here
as you are attempting to boot from a ramdisk.

The most obvious question is whether or not the kernel you built has
ramdisk support. You can do this by analyzing the .config file in your
linux-yocto build tree
(build/tmp/work/cedartrail.../linux-yocto*/linux-cedartrail-standard-build/.config).
You want to look for:

$ grep BLK_DEV_RAM .config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

> Here is the syslinux.cfg file that is controlling the boot:
>
> # Automatically created by OE
> serial 0 115200
> ALLOWOPTIONS 1
> DEFAULT boot
> TIMEOUT 10
> PROMPT 1
> LABEL boot
> KERNEL /vmlinuz
> APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=boot  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
> console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318
> LABEL install
> KERNEL /vmlinuz
> APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=install  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
> console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318
>
> This is a live-image boot, and the flash drive contains the usual five
> files. As far as I can tell, a live-image boot is a two-stage boot beginning
> with a really stripped down vmlinuz and a small RAM-disk read from initrd,
> which then reads the big rootfs.img into another RAM-disk and tries to boot
> the real kernel from that. I don't know which kernel is panicking, because
> it all flies by so fast.

Well, see my comment above, the kernel was about as explicit as it can
be - it didn't find a block device to mount as root. However, when
debugging kernel issues, it is important to be able to record the log.
You have a serial port console configured in your kernel parameters
(console=ttyS0,115200), it would be a good idea to connect to the serial
console and capture the boot messages to a file using minicom, screen,
or similar.

> Any ideas, or am I cursed?

Another common problem is the hddimg format itself and conflicts with
certain firmware. You can try the zip image format as described in
poky/README.hardware under the "Intel Atom based PCs and devices" section.

Finally, usb sticks are terrible about just being bad. Many of them are
literally write once devices. They're fine so long as you don't fill
them up, which works for shuffling small files around, but writing full
OS images to them tends to kill them in a hurry. Try with a brand new stick.

Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Technical Lead - Linux Kernel

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 16:04   ` Marc Ferland
From: Marc Ferland @ 2013-04-03 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

"Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Followup:
>
> I figured I'd try a sato build, since that's what the example on the BSP
> page uses. But core-image-sato-cedartrail-nopvr panics in the same way as
> core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr. For sato, I surmised maybe 1GB wasn't
> enough, so I put in a second stick. This time, instead of spewing out a lot
> of kernel startup stuff ending in a panic, it gave me a SYSLINUX signon on
> the top of the screen, sat there for about 10 seconds, then rebooted into
> the BIOS, repeatedly. So I put back core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, and it
> also gave me the SYSLINUX signon, and rebooted after 10 seconds.
>
> The fact that it behaves differently with 2GB suggests that maybe 1GB isn't
> enough, but that seems hard to imagine even for sato, let alone the base
> console version. I've run Ubuntu on these particular RAM modules, on a
> different motherboard, so I don't think I've got bad RAM.
>
> Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. For all my work, and
> apparently successful builds, I haven't managed to boot anything yet.

Hi Paul,

The live images boot in (roughly) the following way:

1- BIOS loads the bootloader (syslinux)
2- Bootloader loads the kernel and initrd
3- Kernel starts and executes the 'init' script from the initrd
4- The 'init' script mounts sysfs, devtmpfs and procfs filesystems and
   starts udev. It then waits for a storage device containing the
   rootfs.img file to appear (udev rules will mount the device in
   /media).
5- Once the file (rootfs.img) appears it loop-mounts and switch_root to
   it to continue the booting process.

BTW, there is only _one_ kernel. The two stage process allows more
flexibility as where your rootfs is located (CD, usb flash, network
boot, etc.).

From what I see in the kernel messages you supplied it looks like the
init script doesn't even got a chance to run. Kernel issue?

One strange thing also is the use of the 3.0 kernel on this BSP. Which
doesn't shows up in the list of available kernels (well at least on the
git.yoctoproject.org web site.) so I don't know what happens in such
cases.

It would definitely help if the maintainer of the cedartrail BSP could
drop-in and give some advice!

Good luck,

Marc

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 17:47   ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-03 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

Thanks Darren, will follow up on this.

Hi Paul,
Please try out what Darren has suggested.

-Kishore.

@ 2013-04-03 19:57   ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Darren Hart'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Darren Hart
>
> The most obvious question is whether or not the kernel you built has
> ramdisk support. You can do this by analyzing the .config file in your
> linux-yocto build tree
> (build/tmp/work/cedartrail.../linux-yocto*/linux-cedartrail-st
> andard-build/.config).
> You want to look for:
>
> $ grep BLK_DEV_RAM .config
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

That directory (full path is
/home/pauld/yocto-atom/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yoct
o-3.0.32+git1+a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c_1+1e79e03d115ed177882
ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build) is
completely empty. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a hidden file. This is
right after completing a "successful" build of core-image-sato.

> Well, see my comment above, the kernel was about as explicit as it can
> be - it didn't find a block device to mount as root. However, when
> debugging kernel issues, it is important to be able to record the log.
> You have a serial port console configured in your kernel parameters
> (console=ttyS0,115200), it would be a good idea to connect to
> the serial
> console and capture the boot messages to a file using minicom, screen,
> or similar.

Done. Attached.

> Another common problem is the hddimg format itself and conflicts with
> certain firmware. You can try the zip image format as described in
> poky/README.hardware under the "Intel Atom based PCs and
> devices" section.

Tried that, same result.

> Finally, usb sticks are terrible about just being bad. Many
> of them are
> literally write once devices. They're fine so long as you don't fill
> them up, which works for shuffling small files around, but
> writing full
> OS images to them tends to kill them in a hurry. Try with a
> brand new stick.

Tried a fresh one, same results. I'm using a 1GB eUSB SSD, which is
basically an industrial grade flash drive that uses SLC memory, on a card
that sits on the mobo USB header. The image doesn't come close to filling it
up. I've successfully done a live-image boot of full Ubuntu from the 2GB
version of the same drive (same vendor).

It smells to me like that first problem is the real one. Should I try a
clean rebuild? Is there anything I can do short of nuking the entire build
tree with its downloads to ensure a clean rebuild? Or would that be like
waving a dead chicken over it?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

[-- Attachment #2: 2013-04-03 120607.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 16958 bytes --]

\0Linux version 3.0.32-yocto-standard (pauld@Chroma) (gcc version 4.7.2 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Mar 1 07:34:08 PST 2013
Disabled fast string operations
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000008f000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000000008f000 - 0000000000090000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000090000 - 000000000009e800 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000000009e800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000000e0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000003ee95000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003ee95000 - 000000003eebf000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003eebf000 - 000000003eeee000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003eeee000 - 000000003efbf000 (ACPI NVS)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003efbf000 - 000000003efef000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003efef000 - 000000003efff000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003efff000 - 000000003f000000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000003f000000 - 0000000040000000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000e0000000 - 00000000e4000000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000ffe00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
Notice: NX (Execute Disable) protection cannot be enabled: non-PAE kernel!
DMI 2.7 present.
last_pfn = 0x3f000 max_arch_pfn = 0x100000
x86 PAT enabled: cpu 0, old 0x7040600070406, new 0x7010600070106
found SMP MP-table at [c00fbe40] fbe40
init_memory_mapping: 0000000000000000-00000000377fe000
ACPI: RSDP 000f2240 00024 (v02 INTEL )
ACPI: XSDT 3effe120 00064 (v01 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098      01000013)
ACPI: FACP 3eff6000 000F4 (v03 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: DSDT 3eff8000 05C91 (v02 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: FACS 3ef85000 00040
ACPI: SSDT 3eff7000 0043E (v01 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: APIC 3eff5000 00084 (v02 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: MCFG 3eff4000 0003C (v01 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: HPET 3eff3000 00038 (v01 INTEL  DN2800MT 00000098 MSFT 0100000D)
ACPI: SSDT 3eff1000 00655 (v01  PmRef    CpuPm 00003000 INTL 20061109)
ACPI: SSDT 3eff0000 00259 (v01  PmRef  Cpu0Tst 00003000 INTL 20061109)
ACPI: SSDT 3efef000 0020F (v01  PmRef    ApTst 00003000 INTL 20061109)
120MB HIGHMEM available.
887MB LOWMEM available.
  mapped low ram: 0 - 377fe000
  low ram: 0 - 377fe000
Zone PFN ranges:
  DMA      0x00000010 -> 0x00001000
  Normal   0x00001000 -> 0x000377fe
  HighMem  0x000377fe -> 0x0003f000
Movable zone start PFN for each node
early_node_map[6] active PFN ranges
    0: 0x00000010 -> 0x0000008f
    0: 0x00000090 -> 0x0000009e
    0: 0x00000100 -> 0x0003ee95
    0: 0x0003eebf -> 0x0003eeee
    0: 0x0003efbf -> 0x0003efef
    0: 0x0003efff -> 0x0003f000
Using APIC driver default
ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x408
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x01] disabled)
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x02] enabled)
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x03] disabled)
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x01] high level lint[0x1])
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x02] high level lint[0x1])
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x03] high level lint[0x1])
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x04] high level lint[0x1])
ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x08] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 8, version 32, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)
Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
ACPI: HPET id: 0x8086a201 base: 0xfed00000
SMP: Allowing 4 CPUs, 2 hotplug CPUs
Allocating PCI resources starting at 40000000 (gap: 40000000:a0000000)
setup_percpu: NR_CPUS:8 nr_cpumask_bits:8 nr_cpu_ids:4 nr_node_ids:1
PERCPU: Embedded 11 pages/cpu @f6feb000 s21504 r0 d23552 u45056
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 255649
Kernel command line: initrd=/initrd LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318 BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Initializing CPU#0
Initializing HighMem for node 0 (000377fe:0003f000)
Memory: 1016136k/1032192k available (3394k kernel code, 14528k reserved, 1470k data, 332k init, 121820k highmem)
virtual kernel memory layout:
    fixmap  : 0xfff17000 - 0xfffff000   ( 928 kB)
    pkmap   : 0xff800000 - 0xffc00000   (4096 kB)
    vmalloc : 0xf7ffe000 - 0xff7fe000   ( 120 MB)
    lowmem  : 0xc0000000 - 0xf77fe000   ( 887 MB)
      .init : 0xc14c1000 - 0xc1514000   ( 332 kB)
      .data : 0xc1350a36 - 0xc14c0280   (1470 kB)
      .text : 0xc1000000 - 0xc1350a36   (3394 kB)
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...Ok.
SLUB: Genslabs=15, HWalign=64, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=4, Nodes=1
Hierarchical RCU implementation.
NR_IRQS:512
Extended CMOS year: 2000
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
console [tty0] enabled
console [ttyS0] enabled
Fast TSC calibration using PIT
Detected 1866.454 MHz processor.
Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer frequency.. 3732.90 BogoMIPS (lpj=7465816)
pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
Disabled fast string operations
CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
CPU: Processor Core ID: 0
using mwait in idle threads.
ACPI: Core revision 20110413
Enabling APIC mode:  Flat.  Using 1 I/O APICs
..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
CPU0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz stepping 01
Performance Events: PEBS fmt0+, generic architected perfmon, Intel PMU driver.
... version:                3
... bit width:              40
... generic registers:      2
... value mask:             000000ffffffffff
... max period:             000000007fffffff
... fixed-purpose events:   3
... event mask:             0000000700000003
Booting Node   0, Processors  #1
Initializing CPU#1
Disabled fast string operations
Brought up 2 CPUs
Total of 2 processors activated (7466.38 BogoMIPS).
NET: Registered protocol family 16
ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
ACPI: bus type pci registered
PCI: MMCONFIG for domain 0000 [bus 00-3f] at [mem 0xe0000000-0xe3ffffff] (base 0xe0000000)
PCI: MMCONFIG at [mem 0xe0000000-0xe3ffffff] reserved in E820
PCI: Using MMCONFIG for extended config space
PCI: Using configuration type 1 for base access
bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
ACPI: Executed 1 blocks of module-level executable AML code
[Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S5)
ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use "pci=nocrs" and report a bug
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (domain 0000 [bus 00-ff])
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [io  0x0000-0x0cf7]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [io  0x0d00-0xffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000a0000-0x000bffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000e0000-0x000effff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000f0000-0x000fffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x3f800000-0x3fffffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x40000000-0xfebfffff]
pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed44fff]
pci 0000:00:1f.0: [Firmware Bug]: TigerPoint LPC.BM_STS cleared
pci 0000:00:1c.0: PCI bridge to [bus 01-01]
pci 0000:00:1e.0: PCI bridge to [bus 02-02] (subtractive decode)
 pci0000:00: Unable to request _OSC control (_OSC support mask: 0x0f)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *11
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *9
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 10 12 14 15) *9
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 14 15) *10
vgaarb: device added: PCI:0000:00:02.0,decodes=io+mem,owns=io+mem,locks=none
vgaarb: loaded
vgaarb: bridge control possible 0000:00:02.0
SCSI subsystem initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000, IRQs 2, 8, 0
hpet0: 3 comparators, 64-bit 14.318180 MHz counter
Switching to clocksource hpet
pnp: PnP ACPI init
ACPI: bus type pnp registered
system 00:03: [mem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0x0680-0x069f] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0x1000-0x100f] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0xffff] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0xffff] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0x0400-0x047f] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0x0500-0x057f] has been reserved
system 00:05: [io  0x0600-0x061f] has been reserved
system 00:06: [io  0x06a0-0x06af] has been reserved
system 00:06: [io  0x06b0-0x06ff] has been reserved
system 00:0a: [mem 0xfed1c000-0xfed1ffff] has been reserved
system 00:0a: [mem 0x00000000-0x00003fff] could not be reserved
system 00:0a: [mem 0x00000000-0x00000fff] could not be reserved
system 00:0a: [mem 0x00000000-0x00000fff] could not be reserved
system 00:0a: [mem 0xfed45000-0xfed8ffff] has been reserved
pnp: PnP ACPI: found 11 devices
ACPI: ACPI bus type pnp unregistered
pci 0000:00:1c.0: BAR 9: assigned [mem 0x40800000-0x409fffff 64bit pref]
pci 0000:00:1c.0: PCI bridge to [bus 01-01]
pci 0000:00:1c.0:   bridge window [io  0x2000-0x2fff]
pci 0000:00:1c.0:   bridge window [mem 0x40000000-0x404fffff]
pci 0000:00:1c.0:   bridge window [mem 0x40800000-0x409fffff 64bit pref]
pci 0000:00:1e.0: PCI bridge to [bus 02-02]
pci 0000:00:1e.0:   bridge window [io  disabled]
pci 0000:00:1e.0:   bridge window [mem disabled]
pci 0000:00:1e.0:   bridge window [mem pref disabled]
pci 0000:00:1c.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 131072 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
TCP reno registered
UDP hash table entries: 512 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
UDP-Lite hash table entries: 512 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
pci 0000:00:1d.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
pci 0000:00:1d.0: PCI INT A disabled
pci 0000:00:1d.1: PCI INT B -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
pci 0000:00:1d.1: PCI INT B disabled
pci 0000:00:1d.2: PCI INT C -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
pci 0000:00:1d.2: PCI INT C disabled
pci 0000:00:1d.3: PCI INT D -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
pci 0000:00:1d.3: PCI INT D disabled
pci 0000:00:1d.7: PCI INT A -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
pci 0000:00:1d.7: PCI INT A disabled
highmem bounce pool size: 64 pages
Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 253)
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x32, linelength=4096, pages=1
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
vesafb: framebuffer at 0x3f800000, mapped to 0xf8080000, using 6144k, total 7872k
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
ACPI: Power Button [PWRB]
input: Sleep Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1
ACPI: Sleep Button [SLPB]
input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2
ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
00:08: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
Linux agpgart interface v0.103
loop: module loaded
e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI
e1000: Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 1.3.10-k2
e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2011 Intel Corporation.
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: Disabling ASPM L0s
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: (unregistered net_device): Failed to initialize MSI-X interrupts.  Falling back to MSI interrupts.
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: (unregistered net_device): Failed to initialize MSI interrupts.  Falling back to legacy interrupts.
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1) 00:22:4d:89:31:15
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000e 0000:01:00.0: eth0: MAC: 3, PHY: 8, PBA No: FFFFFF-0FF
ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: PCI INT A -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: using broken periodic workaround
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: debug port 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: irq 23, io mem 0x40604000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 8 ports detected
ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: irq 23, io base 0x00003080
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: PCI INT B -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: irq 19, io base 0x00003060
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: PCI INT C -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: irq 18, io base 0x00003040
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: PCI INT D -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: irq 16, io base 0x00003020
hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 5-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
i8042: PNP: No PS/2 controller found. Probing ports directly.
Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 1866.732 MHz.
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
rtc_cmos 00:07: RTC can wake from S4
rtc_cmos 00:07: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
rtc0: alarms up to one month, y3k, 242 bytes nvram, hpet irqs
cpuidle: using governor ladder
sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
usbhid: USB HID core driver
HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
hda_codec: ALC888-VD: BIOS auto-probing.
ALSA device list:
  #0: HDA Intel at 0x40700000 irq 22
oprofile: using NMI interrupt.
TCP cubic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Using IPI No-Shortcut mode
registered taskstats version 1
rtc_cmos 00:07: setting system clock to 2013-04-03 19:06:38 UTC (1365015998)
Switching to clocksource tsc
VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
User configuration error - no valid root filesystem found
Kernel panic - not syncing: Invalid configuration from end user prevents continuing
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 3.0.32-yocto-standard #1
Call Trace:
 [<c134a3cb>] ? printk+0x19/0x1b
 [<c134a2d7>] panic+0x58/0x133
 [<c14c1a76>] mount_block_root+0x21d/0x232
 [<c10a85f8>] ? sys_mknod+0x28/0x30
 [<c14c165d>] ? start_kernel+0x27a/0x27a
 [<c14c1aea>] mount_root+0x5f/0x66
 [<c14c1c03>] prepare_namespace+0x112/0x14c
 [<c109a8a1>] ? sys_access+0x21/0x30
 [<c14c1797>] kernel_init+0x13a/0x13f
 [<c134ff36>] kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0xd

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 20:24     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-04-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On 04/03/2013 12:57 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Darren Hart
>>
>> The most obvious question is whether or not the kernel you built has
>> ramdisk support. You can do this by analyzing the .config file in your
>> linux-yocto build tree
>> (build/tmp/work/cedartrail.../linux-yocto*/linux-cedartrail-st
>> andard-build/.config).
>> You want to look for:
>>
>> $ grep BLK_DEV_RAM .config
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
>
> That directory (full path is
> /home/pauld/yocto-atom/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yoct
> o-3.0.32+git1+a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c_1+1e79e03d115ed177882
> ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build) is
> completely empty. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a hidden file. This is
> right after completing a "successful" build of core-image-sato.

Are you building with the rm work setting? Otherwise, that should not be
empty unless you have more than one linux-yocto* directory and the other
is populated.

If not, verify rm work is not on and just build the kernel:

$ bitbake linux-yocto -c cleansstate
$ bitbake linux-yocto

>> Well, see my comment above, the kernel was about as explicit as it can
>> be - it didn't find a block device to mount as root. However, when
>> debugging kernel issues, it is important to be able to record the log.
>> You have a serial port console configured in your kernel parameters
>> (console=ttyS0,115200), it would be a good idea to connect to
>> the serial
>> console and capture the boot messages to a file using minicom, screen,
>> or similar.
>
> Done. Attached.

Nothing in there suggests any other failure than it just didn't find a
block device. I didn't see anything in there about loading the initrd
though (I think there usually is...). Check to make sure the initrd file
does indeed exist on the boot drive.

>> Another common problem is the hddimg format itself and conflicts with
>> certain firmware. You can try the zip image format as described in
>> poky/README.hardware under the "Intel Atom based PCs and
>> devices" section.
>
> Tried that, same result.

That would hint at either a problem with the initrd or a lack of support
in the kernel.

>> Finally, usb sticks are terrible about just being bad. Many
>> of them are
>> literally write once devices. They're fine so long as you don't fill
>> them up, which works for shuffling small files around, but
>> writing full
>> OS images to them tends to kill them in a hurry. Try with a
>> brand new stick.
>
> Tried a fresh one, same results. I'm using a 1GB eUSB SSD, which is
> basically an industrial grade flash drive that uses SLC memory, on a card
> that sits on the mobo USB header. The image doesn't come close to filling it
> up. I've successfully done a live-image boot of full Ubuntu from the 2GB
> version of the same drive (same vendor).
>
> It smells to me like that first problem is the real one. Should I try a
> clean rebuild? Is there anything I can do short of nuking the entire build
> tree with its downloads to ensure a clean rebuild? Or would that be like
> waving a dead chicken over it?

The nuke is the big hammer, try the slightly more subtle linux-yocto
rebuild without rm-work as described above.

--

@ 2013-04-03 20:50       ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-03 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Darren Hart'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Darren Hart [mailto:dvhart@linux.intel.com]
>
> Are you building with the rm work setting? Otherwise, that
> should not be
> empty unless you have more than one linux-yocto* directory
> and the other is populated.

That option is off, and there is no other linux-yocto* directory.

> If not, verify rm work is not on and just build the kernel:
>
> $ bitbake linux-yocto -c cleansstate
> $ bitbake linux-yocto

The first line says there is no do_cleanstate task for linux-yocto, and so
the second line finds nothing to do. Is there another way to force that?

> Nothing in there suggests any other failure than it just didn't find a
> block device. I didn't see anything in there about loading the initrd
> though (I think there usually is...). Check to make sure the
> initrd file does indeed exist on the boot drive.

Yes, it does.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 22:01         ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco, 'Darren Hart'; +Cc: yocto

It's surprising that you don't see anything under
/home/pauld/yocto-atom/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yoct
o-3.0.32+git1+a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c_1+1e79e03d115ed177882
ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build

It means that Kernel is not getting build for you?
How come you were able to generate the .hddimg and trying to boot?

Do you have the rootfs under build/tmp/work/Cedartrail*/core-image-sato/?

Thanks
Kishore.

>> Nothing in there suggests any other failure than it just didn't find a
>> block device. I didn't see anything in there about loading the initrd
>> though (I think there usually is...). Check to make sure the
>> initrd file does indeed exist on the boot drive.
>
>Yes, it does.
>
>--
>
>Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
>Paul                mailto:pderocco@ix.netcom.com

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-03 22:09         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-04-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On 04/03/2013 01:50 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Darren Hart [mailto:dvhart@linux.intel.com]
>>
>> Are you building with the rm work setting? Otherwise, that
>> should not be
>> empty unless you have more than one linux-yocto* directory
>> and the other is populated.
>
> That option is off, and there is no other linux-yocto* directory.
>
>> If not, verify rm work is not on and just build the kernel:
>>
>> $ bitbake linux-yocto -c cleansstate
>> $ bitbake linux-yocto
>
> The first line says there is no do_cleanstate task for linux-yocto, and so
> the second line finds nothing to do. Is there another way to force that?

This doesn't make any sense. Can you send the actual output rather than
interpreting please?

Oh, actually, please read the command more carefully, there are two ss's in
cleansstate.

--

@ 2013-04-04  0:21       ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-04  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Darren Hart'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Darren Hart
>
> Are you building with the rm work setting? Otherwise, that
> should not be
> empty unless you have more than one linux-yocto* directory
> and the other
> is populated.
>
> If not, verify rm work is not on and just build the kernel:
>
> $ bitbake linux-yocto -c cleansstate
> $ bitbake linux-yocto

After doing that (with two esses), I now have a .config file, along with a
ton of other stuff, in that folder. I have no idea what made it disappear,
because I don't use the rm_work option.

However, the only BLK_DEV_RAM line is

	# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set

I haven't been fiddling with the kernel, because I don't know how to fiddle
with the kernel. This should be a plain vanilla build.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-04  0:32           ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-04  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bodke, Kishore K', 'Darren Hart'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Bodke, Kishore K
>
> It's surprising that you don't see anything under
> /home/pauld/yocto-atom/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-li
nux/linux-yoct
> o-3.0.32+git1+a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c_1+1e79e
03d115ed177882
> ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build
>
> It means that Kernel is not getting build for you?
> How come you were able to generate the .hddimg and trying to boot?
>
> Do you have the rootfs under
> build/tmp/work/Cedartrail*/core-image-sato/?

Some gremlin made that first directory go away. I've successfully rebuilt
it.

There is a rootfs directory in the second directory, and it contains things
like /dev/ram?. I captured a tree listing of my build a while back, and it
had those device nodes, too.

If I loop mount the .ext3 file that my panicking build produced, it has
/dev/ram? device nodes, too.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-04 17:17             ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-04-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On 04/03/2013 05:32 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Bodke, Kishore K
>>
>> It's surprising that you don't see anything under
>> /home/pauld/yocto-atom/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-li
> nux/linux-yoct
>> o-3.0.32+git1+a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c_1+1e79e
> 03d115ed177882
>> ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build
>>
>> It means that Kernel is not getting build for you?
>> How come you were able to generate the .hddimg and trying to boot?
>>
>> Do you have the rootfs under
>> build/tmp/work/Cedartrail*/core-image-sato/?
>
> Some gremlin made that first directory go away. I've successfully rebuilt
> it.
>
> There is a rootfs directory in the second directory, and it contains things
> like /dev/ram?. I captured a tree listing of my build a while back, and it
> had those device nodes, too.
>
> If I loop mount the .ext3 file that my panicking build produced, it has
> /dev/ram? device nodes, too.

I believe those are generated by devtmpfs anyway.

--

@ 2013-04-04 17:18         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-04-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On 04/03/2013 05:21 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Darren Hart
>>
>> Are you building with the rm work setting? Otherwise, that
>> should not be
>> empty unless you have more than one linux-yocto* directory
>> and the other
>> is populated.
>>
>> If not, verify rm work is not on and just build the kernel:
>>
>> $ bitbake linux-yocto -c cleansstate
>> $ bitbake linux-yocto
>
> After doing that (with two esses), I now have a .config file, along with a
> ton of other stuff, in that folder. I have no idea what made it disappear,
> because I don't use the rm_work option.
>
> However, the only BLK_DEV_RAM line is
>
> 	# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set
>
> I haven't been fiddling with the kernel, because I don't know how to fiddle
> with the kernel. This should be a plain vanilla build.

So that would result in this exact failure. Kishore, can you verify the
BSP linux-yocto meta-data and either fix the BLK_DEV_RAM issue or help
Paul sort out what he may have done that resulted in this breakage?

@ 2013-04-04 18:31           ` Bodke, Kishore K
       [not found]             ` <13F417252F8B4CB5BB755BB07928D20C@PAULD>
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

While I do the check and verify at my end, can you enable the missing configs by
Menuconfig?

bitbake  -c  menuconfig  linux-yocto
bitbake  linux-yocto.

Thanks
Kishore.

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-04 19:14             ` Bodke, Kishore K
       [not found]             ` <13F417252F8B4CB5BB755BB07928D20C@PAULD>
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-04 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield (bruce.ashfield@windriver.com),
	Darren Hart, Paul D. DeRocco
  Cc: yocto

Hi Bruce/Darren,

I do not see Linux-yocto-3.0 kernel branch in git repo.
Is it no longer available?
Cedartrail BSP for 1.3 Yocto (danny) supports only 3.0 kernel.

I am not sure how Paul is able to build this bsp?

Thanks
Kishore.

* Re: This one can't be me...
       [not found]                   ` <D956029D25CF204F948EA0FB515E1EE258405C96@ORSMSX105.amr.corp.intel.com>
@ 2013-04-05 17:06                     ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-05 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bodke, Kishore K', yocto

> From: Bodke, Kishore K [mailto:kishore.k.bodke@intel.com]
>
> Yeah, if you want to try a clean build, just keep the
> downloads directory alive and have this pointed to your
> DL_DIR in your local.conf.

The clean build didn't solve the problem. Here's what I did:

Re-downloaded and extracted poky-danny-8.0 and meta-cedartrail-danny-8.0.0
from the Yocto web site into a new directory.

In a new terminal window, ran oe-init-build-env to create the empty build
directory and default config files.

Moved the old downloads directory into the new build tree.

Added the meta-intel and meta-intel/meta-cedartrail layers to bblayers.conf,
after the other layers.

Inserted the following two lines at the beginning of local.conf:

	MACHINE ?= "cedartrail-nopvr"
	BBMASK = "meta-oe/recipes-support/guile"

The last line was a necessary fix for a bug that occurs when I add Samba
from OpenEmbedded, but since that tree of metadata isn't currently included,
this should match nothing and change nothing.

The build was successful, although I still get those NOTEs about "preferred
version 3.4% of linux-yocto not available". Yet it still panics on boot, for
lack of a ram drive.

The only possible corruption at my end, then, is in my downloads.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 18:15                       ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-05 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco, yocto

Here are the config parameters for the clean build that I am doing now.

kishore@kishore-desktop:/usr/local/src/cedartrail/build/tmp/work/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yocto-3.0.32+git1+bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0_1+1e79e03d115ed177882ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build$ grep BLK_DEV_RAM .config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

I don't understand how these are missing in your build?  BLK_DEV_RAM are enabled for Cedartrail-nopvr build.

What did you do different?

Thanks
Kishore.

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 18:48                         ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bodke, Kishore K', yocto

> From: Bodke, Kishore K
>
> Here are the config parameters for the clean build that I am
> doing now.
>
> kishore@kishore-desktop:/usr/local/src/cedartrail/build/tmp/wo
rk/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yocto-3.0.32+git1>
+bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0_1+1e79e03d115ed17788
2ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build$ grep >
BLK_DEV_RAM .config
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
>
> I don't understand how these are missing in your build?
> BLK_DEV_RAM are enabled for Cedartrail-nopvr build.
>
> What did you do different?

I don't know. I detailed the steps I took. I still have

	# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set

Does the order of the layers in bblayers.conf matter? Is it possible that
something in the past fetched a different version of something, and it's
sitting in my downloads tree and screwing things up?

I'm sending you the two build log files separately, so that they don't go
out to the entire list.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 22:32                           ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2013-04-05 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco, yocto

I did a clean build and booted N2800 board.
Sato desktop comes up.
No issues here.

Thanks
Kishore.

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 22:45                             ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

> From: Bodke, Kishore K [mailto:kishore.k.bodke@intel.com]
>
> I did a clean build and booted N2800 board.
> Sato desktop comes up.
> No issues here.

I believe you. To reiterate my last questions: does it matter what order the
layers are specified in bblayers.conf? If not, is deleting the downloads
tree and doing another build the only thing left to try?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 23:17                               ` Sean Liming
From: Sean Liming @ 2013-04-05 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul D. DeRocco', yocto

I have the build working with this bblayers listing:

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta \
  /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-yocto \
  /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel \
  /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel/meta-cedartrail \
"

I have never tried switching them around, but I don't see how it matters

Regards,

Sean Liming
Owner

Tel: 714-970-7523 / Cell: 858-774-3176

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 23:34                           ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2013-04-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 11:48 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > From: Bodke, Kishore K
> >
> > Here are the config parameters for the clean build that I am
> > doing now.
> >
> > kishore@kishore-desktop:/usr/local/src/cedartrail/build/tmp/wo
> rk/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yocto-3.0.32+git1>
> +bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0_1+1e79e03d115ed17788
> 2ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build$ grep >
> BLK_DEV_RAM .config
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> >
> > I don't understand how these are missing in your build?
> > BLK_DEV_RAM are enabled for Cedartrail-nopvr build.
> >
> > What did you do different?
>
> I don't know. I detailed the steps I took. I still have
>
> 	# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set
>
> Does the order of the layers in bblayers.conf matter? Is it possible that
> something in the past fetched a different version of something, and it's
> sitting in my downloads tree and screwing things up?
>
> I'm sending you the two build log files separately, so that they don't go
> out to the entire list.

Can you send those to me as well, along with your entire bblayers.conf
and local.conf?

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-05 23:54                                 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sean Liming', yocto

> From: Sean Liming
>
> I have the build working with this bblayers listing:
>
> BBLAYERS ?= " \
>   /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta \
>   /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-yocto \
>   /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel \
>   /home/usr/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel/meta-cedartrail \
> "
>
> I have never tried switching them around, but I don't see how
> it matters

I have meta-yocto-bsp in there, too, because that was part of the default
configuration file. Is that wrong?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06  4:03                             ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2013-04-06  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 18:34 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 11:48 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > > From: Bodke, Kishore K
> > >
> > > Here are the config parameters for the clean build that I am
> > > doing now.
> > >
> > > kishore@kishore-desktop:/usr/local/src/cedartrail/build/tmp/wo
> > rk/cedartrail_nopvr-poky-linux/linux-yocto-3.0.32+git1>
> > +bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0_1+1e79e03d115ed17788
> > 2ab53909a4f3555e434833-r4.1/linux-cedartrail-nopvr-standard-build$ grep >
> > BLK_DEV_RAM .config
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> > >
> > > I don't understand how these are missing in your build?
> > > BLK_DEV_RAM are enabled for Cedartrail-nopvr build.
> > >
> > > What did you do different?
> >
> > I don't know. I detailed the steps I took. I still have
> >
> > 	# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set
> >
> > Does the order of the layers in bblayers.conf matter? Is it possible that
> > something in the past fetched a different version of something, and it's
> > sitting in my downloads tree and screwing things up?
> >
> > I'm sending you the two build log files separately, so that they don't go
> > out to the entire list.
> >

> Can you send those to me as well, along with your entire bblayers.conf
> and local.conf?

I'm seeing the same thing here (# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set) with
your bblayers and local.conf.  For some reason the base and
standard .cfgs aren't being applied to the .config.  I'll have to dig
around further as time permits over the weekend...

Tom

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06  4:15                               ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-06  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: yocto

> From: Tom Zanussi [mailto:tom.zanussi@intel.com]
>
> I'm seeing the same thing here (# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set) with
> your bblayers and local.conf.  For some reason the base and
> standard .cfgs aren't being applied to the .config.  I'll have to dig
> around further as time permits over the weekend...

Thanks, although this might be floobydust. I've nuked the _entire_ build
tree, included downloads, and am trying a rebuild from scratch, but that
will take until tomorrow morning to complete, since I'm doing the build on
an Atom. If it somehow solves the problem, I'll let you know, so you don't
waste your time chasing unicorns. But if it doesn't solve the problem, your
help would definitely be appreciated. I've been trying to get a build, any
build, to boot for a really long time now.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06  4:48                                 ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2013-04-06  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 21:15 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > From: Tom Zanussi [mailto:tom.zanussi@intel.com]
> >
> > I'm seeing the same thing here (# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set) with
> > your bblayers and local.conf.  For some reason the base and
> > standard .cfgs aren't being applied to the .config.  I'll have to dig
> > around further as time permits over the weekend...
>
> Thanks, although this might be floobydust. I've nuked the _entire_ build
> tree, included downloads, and am trying a rebuild from scratch, but that
> will take until tomorrow morning to complete, since I'm doing the build on
> an Atom. If it somehow solves the problem, I'll let you know, so you don't
> waste your time chasing unicorns. But if it doesn't solve the problem, your
> help would definitely be appreciated. I've been trying to get a build, any
> build, to boot for a really long time now.

My guess is there's a real problem here, since I'm able to reproduce it
with my own downloads dir and a rebuild from scratch.  Now that I have a
reproducer, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to nail down the problem and
at least get the kernel part right - if the kernel is missing config
like this it just won't boot, plain and simple, so we need to get past
that first and chances are it will be smoother sailing after that...

Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06  5:55                                   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-04-06  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi; +Cc: yocto, Paul D. DeRocco

On 13-04-06 12:48 AM, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 21:15 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>>> From: Tom Zanussi [mailto:tom.zanussi@intel.com]
>>>
>>> I'm seeing the same thing here (# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set) with
>>> your bblayers and local.conf.  For some reason the base and
>>> standard .cfgs aren't being applied to the .config.  I'll have to dig
>>> around further as time permits over the weekend...
>>
>> Thanks, although this might be floobydust. I've nuked the _entire_ build
>> tree, included downloads, and am trying a rebuild from scratch, but that
>> will take until tomorrow morning to complete, since I'm doing the build on
>> an Atom. If it somehow solves the problem, I'll let you know, so you don't
>> waste your time chasing unicorns. But if it doesn't solve the problem, your
>> help would definitely be appreciated. I've been trying to get a build, any
>> build, to boot for a really long time now.
>>

> My guess is there's a real problem here, since I'm able to reproduce it
> with my own downloads dir and a rebuild from scratch.  Now that I have a
> reproducer, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to nail down the problem and
> at least get the kernel part right - if the kernel is missing config
> like this it just won't boot, plain and simple, so we need to get past
> that first and chances are it will be smoother sailing after that...

And as a FYI: I'm tracking down an issue with configs at the moment as
well.

I can try this board to see if I get the right configs in my final .config
once I've tracked down the issue.

Bruce

> Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06 14:00                                   ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2013-04-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 23:48 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 21:15 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > > From: Tom Zanussi [mailto:tom.zanussi@intel.com]
> > >
> > > I'm seeing the same thing here (# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set) with
> > > your bblayers and local.conf.  For some reason the base and
> > > standard .cfgs aren't being applied to the .config.  I'll have to dig
> > > around further as time permits over the weekend...
> >
> > Thanks, although this might be floobydust. I've nuked the _entire_ build
> > tree, included downloads, and am trying a rebuild from scratch, but that
> > will take until tomorrow morning to complete, since I'm doing the build on
> > an Atom. If it somehow solves the problem, I'll let you know, so you don't
> > waste your time chasing unicorns. But if it doesn't solve the problem, your
> > help would definitely be appreciated. I've been trying to get a build, any
> > build, to boot for a really long time now.
> >

> My guess is there's a real problem here, since I'm able to reproduce it
> with my own downloads dir and a rebuild from scratch.  Now that I have a
> reproducer, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to nail down the problem and
> at least get the kernel part right - if the kernel is missing config
> like this it just won't boot, plain and simple, so we need to get past
> that first and chances are it will be smoother sailing after that...

It looks like the problem is a bad SRCREV for the meta branch in the
-nopvr machine in the cedartrail danny tarball.  Try changing the
following line in
meta-cedartrail/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend:

SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?= "a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c"

SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?= "bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0"

Changing that got me a .config with the correct CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
setting.

Tom

> Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06 18:20                                     ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-04-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tom Zanussi'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Tom Zanussi
>
> It looks like the problem is a bad SRCREV for the meta branch in the
> -nopvr machine in the cedartrail danny tarball.  Try changing the
> following line in
> meta-cedartrail/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend:
>
> SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
> "a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c"

> SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
> "bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0"
>
> Changing that got me a .config with the correct CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
> setting.

Ta-da! That fixed it.

I'm glad the subject of this thread didn't come back to bite me.

Thanks so much for your time in figuring this out.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-04-06 19:20                                       ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2013-04-06 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 11:20 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > From: Tom Zanussi
> >
> > It looks like the problem is a bad SRCREV for the meta branch in the
> > -nopvr machine in the cedartrail danny tarball.  Try changing the
> > following line in
> > meta-cedartrail/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend:
> >
> > SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
> > "a4ac64fe873f08ef718e2849b88914725dc99c1c"

> > SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
> > "bf5ee4945ee6d748e6abe16356f2357f76b5e2f0"
> >
> > Changing that got me a .config with the correct CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
> > setting.
>
> Ta-da! That fixed it.
>
> I'm glad the subject of this thread didn't come back to bite me.
>
> Thanks so much for your time in figuring this out.

Sure, glad that worked out...

And of course the cedartrail tarball should be updated as soon as
possible with at least that change - this shouldn't have been a problem
in the first place (also should add the missing preferred provider and
avoid the other warning as well).  Cc:ing the maintainer for that...

Tom

* Re: This one can't be me...
@ 2013-06-20 14:58               ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-06-20 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto, Paul D. DeRocco

On 04/04/2013 12:14 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

> Hi Bruce/Darren,
>
> I do not see Linux-yocto-3.0 kernel branch in git repo.
> Is it no longer available?
> Cedartrail BSP for 1.3 Yocto (danny) supports only 3.0 kernel.
>
> I am not sure how Paul is able to build this bsp?

Do you mean you don't see the linux-yocto-3.0 recipe? It was removed in
later releases, but is still available in danny.