* Enable/disable service startup
@ 2016-09-22  8:47 Anicic Damir (PSI)
From: Anicic Damir (PSI) @ 2016-09-22  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am building Yocto 2.1 for PowerPC-64

I have bind and dhcpcd packages built in.

named service (from bind) gets started - but I do not want it started
dhcpcd service does not get started - but I would like to have it started

I would also prefer not to remove bind, because I need dig (dig, host, nslookup)

How to get services enabled/disabled ?

Also I do not want to change original recipes.

Kind regards,
Damir

* Re: Enable/disable service startup
@ 2016-09-23  1:39 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-09-23  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anicic Damir (PSI); +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Anicic Damir (PSI) <damir.anicic@psi.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building Yocto 2.1 for PowerPC-64
>
> I have bind and dhcpcd packages built in.
>
> named service (from bind) gets started - but I do not want it started

You may be able to do it via a image post processing function.

> dhcpcd service does not get started - but I would like to have it started

hmm that may be a bug you need to see why it does not start

> I would also prefer not to remove bind, because I need dig (dig, host,
> nslookup)

you have to change the code, doing finer packaging for bind where the daemon
gets packaged into package of its own and rest of the binaries e.g.
dig etc go into
another output package e.g. bind-extra or somesuch. then you just
include bind-extas
in your image.

@ 2016-09-23  3:05   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-09-23  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anicic Damir (PSI); +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:39:03 Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Anicic Damir (PSI) <damir.anicic@psi.ch>
> wrote:
> > I am building Yocto 2.1 for PowerPC-64
> >
> > I have bind and dhcpcd packages built in.
> >
> > named service (from bind) gets started - but I do not want it started
>
> You may be able to do it via a image post processing function.

That will be solved by not installing it, see below.

> > dhcpcd service does not get started - but I would like to have it started
>
> hmm that may be a bug you need to see why it does not start

If you mean the dhcpcd recipe in meta-networking, it looks like that recipe
doesn't have anything to enable it to start on boot (i.e. it does not inherit
update-rc.d or systemd). If that's what you want you will need to do that
either in the original recipe or use a bbappend.

Note that in some configurations (including our default) the dhcp client is
started on demand by the networking scripts and thus doesn't need to be
started as a service, but by default we are using dhclient for that and not
dhcpcd.

> > I would also prefer not to remove bind, because I need dig (dig, host,
> > nslookup)
>
> you have to change the code, doing finer packaging for bind where the daemon
> gets packaged into package of its own and rest of the binaries e.g. dig etc
> go into
> another output package e.g. bind-extra or somesuch. then you just
> include bind-extas
> in your image.

The bind-utils package is already split out and packages dig and host, so I
would suggest installing that rather than the main bind package. nslookup
isn't being packaged at all, I suspect we are relying on the busybox stub
version for that at least by default.

Cheers,
Paul

--