* What are the plans for the nanbield branch?
@ 2023-10-05 14:01 Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2023-10-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OE Development (openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org)

Khem and Armin,

what are the plans for the nanbield branch, given that is was
branched off long before the actual Nanbield release? Do you plan
on merging master into it once Nanbield is released, or will it
stay as it is and relevant parts will have to be backported?

The reason I ask is because I am currently working on preparing
our layers for the upgrade to Nanbield and currently there is
quite a big difference between the nanbield branch and the master
branch in meta-openembedded. Thus it would help to know if should
continue to track the master branch for meta-openembedded, or if
I should revert to the nanbield branch.

//Peter

* Re: [oe] What are the plans for the nanbield branch?
@ 2023-10-05 14:38 ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2023-10-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt,
	OE Development (openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org)

On 10/5/23 7:01 AM, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> Khem and Armin,
>
> what are the plans for the nanbield branch, given that is was
> branched off long before the actual Nanbield release? Do you plan
> on merging master into it once Nanbield is released, or will it
> stay as it is and relevant parts will have to be backported?

I started a stable/nanbield-nut with a sync to the tip of master. That
will most likely be the starting point depending on when 4.3 is
released. I might sync once more.

> The reason I ask is because I am currently working on preparing
> our layers for the upgrade to Nanbield and currently there is
> quite a big difference between the nanbield branch and the master
> branch in meta-openembedded. Thus it would help to know if should
> continue to track the master branch for meta-openembedded, or if
> I should revert to the nanbield branch.

Typically if there are no new applications added after a new stable
branch is released, the first few merges tend to be in line with master.

hope this helps,
Armin

@ 2023-10-05 17:00 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-10-05 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt
  Cc: OE Development (openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org)

Hi Peter,

We have created the branch since there were some patches moving
python3 recipes to core which were not sure if they will make into
this release
or not. Plan was to keep it in sync with master as far as possible.
Good part is that those python recipe move has made into core in
nanbield so we
are unblocked. Armin
has plans to sync nanbield to master

Thanks
-Khem

@ 2023-10-05 17:12   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2023-10-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: Peter Kjellerstedt,
	OE Development (openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org)

FWIW: I prefer oe-core keeping master and nanbield in sync (even using the
same SHAs) until they really need to be different

Now there is the Maintainer change in READMEs already applied in nanbield,
so the commits from master won't be idential SHAs. Next time it would be
IMHO better to delay merging README update until the branches need to
diverge.

Regards,

@ 2023-10-05 17:45     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-10-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)