* Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-09  7:58 Zhenhua Luo
From: Zhenhua Luo @ 2016-09-09  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'yocto@yoctoproject.org'

Hi all,

Can Yocto support image build for Cortex-M4 targets? If no, does somebody know if there is some distro/packaging tool which can support Cortex-M4?

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-09 14:37 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2016-09-09 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenhua Luo, 'yocto@yoctoproject.org'

On 9/9/16 2:58 AM, Zhenhua Luo wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Can Yocto support image build for Cortex-M4 targets? If no, does somebody know
> if there is some distro/packaging tool which can support Cortex-M4?

The Cortex-M4 does not have an MMU.  The Yocto Project system, currently, only
supports MMU based architectures.

If Linux is a requirement for you, you will need to find a non-MMU based uClinux
system to work with.

Otherwise there are a number of other embedded OSs for MMU-less targets that may
be more appropriate to the memory and system constraints of the M series CPUs.

--Mark

> Best Regards,
>

> Zhenhua

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-12  5:07   ` Zhenhua Luo
From: Zhenhua Luo @ 2016-09-12  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: 'yocto@yoctoproject.org'

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Is there plan to support non-MMU targets in Yocto?

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-12 14:31     ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2016-09-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenhua Luo; +Cc: 'yocto@yoctoproject.org'

On 9/12/16 12:07 AM, Zhenhua Luo wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments.
>
> Is there plan to support non-MMU targets in Yocto?

Not that I am aware of.

--Mark

> Best Regards,
>
> Zhenhua

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-13 17:31       ` robert.berger@gmane
From: robert.berger@gmane @ 2016-09-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: 'yocto-EtnWKYl6rD/WsZ/bQMPhNw@public.gmane.org'

Hi,

Shouldn't it be possible to build a bare-metal Cortex-M4 compiler with
the YP and build a small RTOS like FreeRTOS with this compiler?

Regards,

Robert

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-13 20:15         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-09-13 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.berger@gmane; +Cc: yocto, yocto-EtnWKYl6rD/WsZ/bQMPhNw@public.gmane.org

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:31 AM, robert.berger@gmane <gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to build a bare-metal Cortex-M4 compiler with the YP and build a small RTOS like FreeRTOS with this compiler?

yes it should be possible. you can also look into meta-ti where I think they try to have their DSP toolchain build some code using OE
recipe model

> Regards,
>
> Robert

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-15 20:07           ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-09-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: robert.berger@gmane, yocto,
	yocto-EtnWKYl6rD/WsZ/bQMPhNw@public.gmane.org

On Tue 2016-09-13 @ 01:15:49 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:31 AM, robert.berger@gmane <gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Shouldn't it be possible to build a bare-metal Cortex-M4 compiler with the YP and build a small RTOS like FreeRTOS with this compiler?
> >

> yes it should be possible. you can also look into meta-ti where I think they try to have their DSP toolchain build some code using OE
> recipe model

Perhaps other things to consider (I'm not entirely sure if these apply, but
maybe worth investigating?)

The ROS project has a meta layer:
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-ros/

If your CortexM board has enough RAM (e.g. http://www.emcraft.com/) you can
run (a version of) Linux (uClinux) right on your CortexM target:
https://github.com/EmcraftSystems/linux-emcraft

The Emcraft website appears to provide Linux support for NXP-based CortexM
boards too: http://www.emcraft.com/products/456
http://www.emcraft.com/products/88

* Re: Cortex-M4 build support
@ 2016-09-20 14:39             ` Zhenhua Luo
From: Zhenhua Luo @ 2016-09-20 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, Khem Raj
  Cc: robert.berger@gmane, yocto,
	yocto-EtnWKYl6rD/WsZ/bQMPhNw@public.gmane.org

Thank you so much for your suggestion, Trevor.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

@ 2016-09-21 16:14               ` Bystricky, Juro
From: Bystricky, Juro @ 2016-09-21 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenhua Luo, Trevor Woerner, Khem Raj
  Cc: robert.berger@gmane, yocto,
	yocto-EtnWKYl6rD/WsZ/bQMPhNw@public.gmane.org

You can also have a look at the Zephyr project https://www.zephyrproject.org/
Zephyr Project is a small, scalable real-time operating system for use on resource-constrained systems supporting multiple architectures.
It does come with Cortex m0,m1,m2,m3,m4 baremetal Yocto based toolchain.
https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/p/meta-zephyr-sdk.git