* systemd privatetmp and symlink to /var/volatile/tmp
@ 2019-01-08 20:40 Jean-Francois Dagenais
From: Jean-Francois Dagenais @ 2019-01-08 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi all,

On sumo, I've just ran a "systemd" version of my image and the only red I see is
for systemd-hostnamed...

myhost :~# systemctl status systemd-hostnamed
● systemd-hostnamed.service - Hostname Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-hostnamed.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-01-07 18:50:15 UTC; 6min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-hostnamed.service(8)
           man:hostname(5)
           man:machine-info(5)
           https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed
  Process: 1735 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-hostnamed (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
 Main PID: 1735 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

systemd[1]: Starting Hostname Service...
systemd[1735]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Failed to set up mount namespacing: No such file or directory
systemd[1735]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /lib/systemd/systemd-hostnamed: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start Hostname Service.

I've isolated it to the "PrivateTmp=yes" clause which, if commented out, the
service works fine.

I am speculating that this might be related to the fact that /var/tmp is a
symbolic link to /var/volatile/tmp. But this would mean that every poky user
would encounter the same problem and google would give more results than I was
getting.

Upstream from v239, it seems to be fixed:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6212 but I have not been able to test
it.

Any thoughts?

* Re: systemd privatetmp and symlink to /var/volatile/tmp
@ 2019-01-08 21:45 ` Jérôme Carretero
From: Jérôme Carretero @ 2019-01-08 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Francois Dagenais; +Cc: poky

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 15:40:58 -0500
Jean-Francois Dagenais <jeff.dagenais@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> On sumo, I've just ran a "systemd" version of my image and the only red I see is
> for systemd-hostnamed...

Hi Jean-François,

On my end, I've had issues related to .service security restrictions
which were not appropriate to special cases, eg. NFS root filesystem.
While I did have hostnamed in PACKAGECONFIG I don't remember about the
issue you are mentioning, perhaps because it didn't cause any
noticeable problem, and now can't check now because the systems are
upgraded.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme

PS: Thud upgrade is quite smooth, if you can do it...
PPS: You may have trouble building Sumo after a libc update on your
development machine.

* Re: systemd privatetmp and symlink to /var/volatile/tmp
@ 2019-01-11 13:48   ` Jean-Francois Dagenais
From: Jean-Francois Dagenais @ 2019-01-11 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérôme Carretero; +Cc: poky