* Building Modules Against Xen Sources
@ 2007-04-29  8:54 Jayson Vantuyl
From: Jayson Vantuyl @ 2007-04-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I'm currently trying to build modules against the kernels created
with Xen 3.0.5rc4.

This used to not be such a problem, as Xen created a kernel directory
and the built in it.  Plain Jane, nothing fancy.

I've noticed that somewhere since I did this (which was as recent as
3.0.4-1) the kernel build now does things a bit different.
Apparently there is some sort of build-.... directory where things
happen now.

This is a problem.  I build a number of things against these kernels,
not the least of which include Coraid's AoE drivers and Redhat's CMAN
and DLM stuff.

I was able to get kernel source directories by adjusting buildconfigs/
mk.linux-2.6-xen.  I changed the line that read:

LINUXSRC_DIR=....

to:

LINU

This still requires me to build my kernels a second time to get a
good build directory.  Is there a better way to do this?  Can we make
this easier?

--
Jayson Vantuyl
Systems Architect

* Re: Building Modules Against Xen Sources
@ 2007-04-29  9:27 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2007-04-29  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayson Vantuyl, xen-devel

On 29/4/07 09:54, "Jayson Vantuyl" <jvantuyl@engineyard.com> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to build modules against the kernels created with Xen
> 3.0.5rc4.
>
> This used to not be such a problem, as Xen created a kernel directory and the
> built in it.  Plain Jane, nothing fancy.
>
> I've noticed that somewhere since I did this (which was as recent as 3.0.4-1)
> the kernel build now does things a bit different.  Apparently there is some
> sort of build-.... directory where things happen now.
>
> This is a problem.  I build a number of things against these kernels, not the
> least of which include Coraid's AoE drivers and Redhat's CMAN and DLM stuff.

You should be able to point your external build at the latter and have it
just work:
 make ­C /path/to/build-linux-... M=$PWD modules

 -- Keir

* Re: Building Modules Against Xen Sources
@ 2007-04-29 11:22 ` Jayson Vantuyl
From: Jayson Vantuyl @ 2007-04-29 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayson Vantuyl; +Cc: xen-devel

Ooops, accidentally hit send too early.  Let me try this again:

I changed the line in buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.6-xen that read:

LINUX_SRCDIR = linux-$(LINUX_VER)-xen

LINUX_SRCDIR = linux-$(LINUX_VER)-$(EXTRAVERSION)

Rest of e-mail still applies.

@ 2007-04-29 11:39   ` Jayson Vantuyl
From: Jayson Vantuyl @ 2007-04-29 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel