* probe_intel_cpuid_faulting() behavior
@ 2013-09-11  9:34 Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2013-09-11  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jinsong Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, Keir Fraser

Jinsong,

somehow it escaped my attention so far that this probing, on a CPU
not supporting the respective MSR, necessarily produces a GPF log
message. Since such instances are generally a reason to worry,
would it be possible to at least avoid this for all CPU families/models
below a certain level (the system I'm seeing this on is family 0xf
model 6)? If so, could you provide precise cut-off values (I can of
course easily enough create a patch myself once I have the
numbers)?

Jan

* Re: probe_intel_cpuid_faulting() behavior
@ 2013-09-12 17:12 ` Liu, Jinsong
From: Liu, Jinsong @ 2013-09-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel, Keir Fraser

Jan Beulich wrote:
> Jinsong,
>
> somehow it escaped my attention so far that this probing, on a CPU
> not supporting the respective MSR, necessarily produces a GPF log
> message. Since such instances are generally a reason to worry,
> would it be possible to at least avoid this for all CPU
> families/models below a certain level (the system I'm seeing this on
> is family 0xf model 6)? If so, could you provide precise cut-off
> values (I can of course easily enough create a patch myself once I
> have the
> numbers)?
>
> Jan

Sorry, no. It's non-architectural but no official/precise family/model/stepping provided, so enumeration has to tolerate GPF log on legacy processors. What is more, no guarantee for future processors also support it.

Thanks,
Jinsong