* mediacontroller for framebuffer
@ 2016-01-20 13:52 Sebastien LEDUC
From: Sebastien LEDUC @ 2016-01-20 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Laurent
I have seen that a long time ago you had done some prototyping work for exposing framebuffer devices as media entities:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fbdev/msg04408.html

What did happen to this prototyping ?
Seems it has never been merged, so could you please explain why ?

We have some similar needs, so I'd like to understand the right way to go

Thanks in advance

Regards
Sebastien

* Re: mediacontroller for framebuffer
@ 2016-01-21 22:26 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2016-01-21 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien LEDUC; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Sebastien,

On Wednesday 20 January 2016 14:52:30 Sebastien LEDUC wrote:
> Hi Laurent
> I have seen that a long time ago you had done some prototyping work for
> exposing framebuffer devices as media entities:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fbdev/msg04408.html
>
> What did happen to this prototyping ?
> Seems it has never been merged, so could you please explain why ?
>
> We have some similar needs, so I'd like to understand the right way to go

The prototype has been dropped as the framebuffer subsystem got deprecated.
Display drivers should now use DRM/KMS.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: mediacontroller for framebuffer
@ 2016-01-22  7:23   ` Honza Petrouš
From: Honza Petrouš @ 2016-01-22  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: Sebastien LEDUC, linux-media

Hi Laurent

>> I have seen that a long time ago you had done some prototyping work for
>> exposing framebuffer devices as media entities:
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fbdev/msg04408.html
>>
>> What did happen to this prototyping ?
>> Seems it has never been merged, so could you please explain why ?
>>
>> We have some similar needs, so I'd like to understand the right way to go
>
> The prototype has been dropped as the framebuffer subsystem got deprecated.
> Display drivers should now use DRM/KMS.

FB is deprecated? Can you, please, provide some links regarding such talk?
Sorry for my ignorance, I was never so deep in DRM/KMS (as I treat that
as big gun for my small embedded systems I was working on) and I'm
still happy with simple FB support which I get from kernel.

Thanks.
/Honza

* Re: mediacontroller for framebuffer
@ 2016-01-22 16:17     ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2016-01-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honza Petrouš; +Cc: Sebastien LEDUC, linux-media

Hi Honza,

https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/24/253

> Sorry for my ignorance, I was never so deep in DRM/KMS (as I treat that
> as big gun for my small embedded systems I was working on) and I'm
> still happy with simple FB support which I get from kernel.

DRM/KMS might be a bit complex for simple display controllers, but helpers
that simplify driver development would certainly be welcome. All it will take
is someone to write them :-)

Laurent Pinchart