* User defined roles on Linux
@ 2010-08-11 14:59 S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore) @ 2010-08-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hello All,
    I am a newbie to Linux and SELinux as well. So apologize me if my question is stupid. All these days, I have been playing with Solaris. Have implemented user profiles and associated them with roles using RBAC on Solaris to facilitate set of users to run my application. Users assuming my role can only start, stop and troubleshoot application whereas not possible to execute any other commands. Now after RHEL 5.5 migration, I am trying to implement similar roles here too. After running through various RHEL manuals I assume that SELinux can be used to define RBAC roles to some extend, even though its main feature is to implement Mandatory Access Control (MAC). I see few pre-defined roles like  sysadm_r and staff_u. Now my question is it possible to create user defined roles on RHEL 5.5 using SELinux and assign it to shared os accounts?. If possible but not through SELinux, please let me how it can be done?.

Thanks in advance,
Senthil Prabu.S

* Re: User defined roles on Linux
@ 2010-08-11 15:47 ` David P. Quigley
From: David P. Quigley @ 2010-08-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore); +Cc: selinux

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 22:59 +0800, S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
wrote:
> Hello All,
>     I am a newbie to Linux and SELinux as well. So apologize me if my question is stupid. All these days, I have been playing with Solaris. Have implemented user profiles and associated them with roles using RBAC on Solaris to facilitate set of users to run my application. Users assuming my role can only start, stop and troubleshoot application whereas not possible to execute any other commands. Now after RHEL 5.5 migration, I am trying to implement similar roles here too. After running through various RHEL manuals I assume that SELinux can be used to define RBAC roles to some extend, even though its main feature is to implement Mandatory Access Control (MAC). I see few pre-defined roles like  sysadm_r and staff_u. Now my question is it possible to create user defined roles on RHEL 5.5 using SELinux and assign it to shared os accounts?. If possible but not through SELinux, please let me how it can be done?.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Senthil Prabu.S

This document[1] is a little dated (FC8) but seems to have a good
description of configuring roles in SELinux. One issue is that the
document is specifically about a cash register system that Serge is
explaining. You should be able to take that knowledge though and use it
to make your own custom roles. The basic idea is that you want to figure
out the valid types you want to role to be able to execute, create a new
role containing them and then establish the appropriate transitions.

[1]http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-rbac-selinux/

* Re: User defined roles on Linux
@ 2010-08-11 15:59 ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2010-08-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore); +Cc: selinux

On 08/11/2010 07:59 AM, S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:
> Hello All,
>      I am a newbie to Linux and SELinux as well. So apologize me if my question is stupid. All these days, I have been playing with Solaris. Have implemented user profiles and associated them with roles using RBAC on Solaris to facilitate set of users to run my application. Users assuming my role can only start, stop and troubleshoot application whereas not possible to execute any other commands. Now after RHEL 5.5 migration, I am trying to implement similar roles here too. After running through various RHEL manuals I assume that SELinux can be used to define RBAC roles to some extend, even though its main feature is to implement Mandatory Access Control (MAC). I see few pre-defined roles like  sysadm_r and staff_u. Now my question is it possible to create user defined roles on RHEL 5.5 using SELinux and assign it to shared os accounts?. If possible but not through SELinux, please let me how it can be done?.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Senthil Prabu.S

correct me if Im wrong but depending on the policy type i.e.
monolithic/binary you would use semanage to create a user with the
roles. as well as category level and sensitivity level and/or modify
policy/users file to define the roles category/sensitivity of the user.
as for solaris haven't yet played around with FMAC yet but id imagine
it's similar.

hope this helps.

Justin P. Mattock

* Re: User defined roles on Linux
@ 2010-08-11 17:56 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2010-08-11 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore); +Cc: selinux

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM, S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<senthilprabu.s@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>    I am a newbie to Linux and SELinux as well. So apologize me if my question is stupid. All these days, I have been playing with Solaris. Have implemented user profiles and associated them with roles using RBAC on Solaris to facilitate set of users to run my application. Users assuming my role can only start, stop and troubleshoot application whereas not possible to execute any other commands. Now after RHEL 5.5 migration, I am trying to implement similar roles here too. After running through various RHEL manuals I assume that SELinux can be used to define RBAC roles to some extend, even though its main feature is to implement Mandatory Access Control (MAC). I see few pre-defined roles like  sysadm_r and staff_u. Now my question is it possible to create user defined roles on RHEL 5.5 using SELinux and assign it to shared os accounts?. If possible but not through SELinux, please let me how it can be done?.

In RHEL5, you would need to first switch to strict policy before
trying to configure and use SELinux roles, as the default targeted
policy doesn't provide the underlying support.  In modern Fedora and
RHEL6, you can configure user roles while still using targeted policy.