* [igt-dev] IGT on SLES
@ 2021-03-29 23:10 Vemasani, Vinod
From: Vemasani, Vinod @ 2021-03-29 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: igt-dev
  Cc: Dewitt, David J, Latvala, Petri, Ursulin, Tvrtko, Musta, Tom,
	Lovin, Brian J, Nguyen, Anthony D, Kumar, Manish3, Sharp,
	Amanda K

Hello,

I am trying to get intel-gpu-tools installed on SLES machine(s). The README has instructions for Fedora/Debian and none for SLES. I reached out to couple of contacts and they told me it has a dependency which is difficult to meet for SLES. Is it true? Has anyone built on SLES successfully?

Came across this package for SUSE - https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=intel-gpu-tools&project=openSUSE%3ALeap%3A15.2
Installed RPM successfully but ran into this :

/home/vvemasan/intel_gpu_top
Failed to detect engines! (No such file or directory)
(Kernel 4.16 or newer is required for i915 PMU support.)

Any tips/thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Vinod

* Re: [igt-dev] IGT on SLES
@ 2021-03-30  9:00 ` Tvrtko Ursulin
From: Tvrtko Ursulin @ 2021-03-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vemasani, Vinod, igt-dev
  Cc: Dewitt, David J, Latvala, Petri, Ursulin, Tvrtko, Musta, Tom,

On 30/03/2021 00:10, Vemasani, Vinod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get intel-gpu-tools installed on SLES machine(s). The
> README has instructions for Fedora/Debian and none for SLES. I reached
> out to couple of contacts and they told me it has a dependency which is
> difficult to meet for SLES. Is it true? Has anyone built on SLES
> successfully?

Haven't tried but it would be a serious fail if anything was distro
specific. Probably it is just a matter of installing correct
development/header packages. Please share more details of the problem.

> Came across this package for SUSE -
> https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=intel-gpu-tools&project=openSUSE%3ALeap%3A15.2
> <https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=intel-gpu-tools&project=openSUSE%3ALeap%3A15.2>
>

> Installed RPM successfully but ran into this :
>
> *//home/vvemasan/intel_gpu_top/*
>
> */Failed to detect engines! (No such file or directory)/*
>
> */(Kernel 4.16 or newer is required for i915 PMU support.) /*
>
> Any tips/thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

According to the link this contains a package called
intel-gpu-tools-1.23-lp1152.2.9.src.rpm. Version 1.23 was released in
2018 and there definitely were a bunch of fixes since. So you definitely
want something newer. At least 1.25 but ideally git master.

Just in case two questions:

1)
Obviously your kernel is newer than 4.16? :)

2)
Please paste:
  * Output from lspci
  * ls -ld /sys/devices/i915*/events/