* add multi-host support in the phosphor-post-code-manager
@ 2020-07-20 16:00 Manikandan
From: Manikandan @ 2020-07-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: kuiying.wang, manikandan.e, velumanit

Hi All,

 We woukld like to get opion on below multi-host support approaches.

Background :
------------
  The Phosphor-post-code-manager supports only host
to store/retrieve the host postcode history.

Approaches:
-----------
Approach 1: << run the multiple process >>

Create and run the multiple phosphor-post-code-manager process to handle each host postcode history.

   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host0.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host1.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host2.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host3.Boot.PostCode

Approach 2: << pass number of host to single process >>

Pass number of host to single process phosphor-post-code-manager to register dbus object
and handle each host postcode.

   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host0.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host1.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host2.Boot.PostCode
   xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host3.Boot.PostCode

Thanks
Mani.E

* Re: add multi-host support in the phosphor-post-code-manager
@ 2020-07-21 15:20 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2020-07-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manikandan; +Cc: openbmc, kuiying.wang, velumanit, manikandan.e

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 09:30:13PM +0530, Manikandan wrote:
> Approach 1: << run the multiple process >>
>
> Create and run the multiple phosphor-post-code-manager process to handle each host postcode history.

I would lean towards this implementation because I think it is more
flexible in the long term.  Some multi-host systems are hot-pluggable
such that you do not statically know how many you're going to have.  In
some cases you have cards that take up two or three slots, so you really
don't know the correct topology until you've done discovery.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: add multi-host support in the phosphor-post-code-manager
@ 2020-07-21 17:10 ` Ren, Zhikui
From: Ren, Zhikui @ 2020-07-21 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manikandan, openbmc; +Cc: Wang, Kuiying, velumanit, manikandan.e

I would think that one process to handle all post-code is a cleaner design.

@ 2020-07-21 18:28   ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-07-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Zhikui, Manikandan, openbmc; +Cc: Wang, Kuiying, velumanit, manikandan.e

I would also prefer single process design but as Patrick mentioned about hot pluggable
Host, either we can predefine maximum allowed host per platform or go for multi
process  approach for complete dynamic pluggable host.

We really need to assess what is the disadvantage in predefining maximum number of hosts
With single process because there will be limited slots available per platform.

@ 2020-07-22 17:51   ` Manikandan
From: Manikandan @ 2020-07-22 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc, kuiying.wang, velumanit, manikandan.e

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:20:16AM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 09:30:13PM +0530, Manikandan wrote:
> > Approach 1: << run the multiple process >>
> >
> > Create and run the multiple phosphor-post-code-manager process to handle each host postcode history.
>
> I would lean towards this implementation because I think it is more
> flexible in the long term.  Some multi-host systems are hot-pluggable
> such that you do not statically know how many you're going to have.  In
> some cases you have cards that take up two or three slots, so you really
> don't know the correct topology until you've done discovery.

   Thanks Patrick.

   Our platfrom is also based on hot-pluggable multi-host(four) card in chassis.
   we have either four host in slots or 2 host with two device card hardware topology.
   As you mentioned above on multi-process , Do we need to start and stop each instance based
   on host present in the slot at start-up and runtime.

   For example if only 2 host connected in slot with other slots empty, do we need to start only 2 instance
   and stop the instance when corresponding host card removed from slot at run time.

   I understand that you are refering the same design implemented in x86-power-control
   and obmc-console for multi-host..

@ 2020-07-23 20:31     ` Manikandan
From: Manikandan @ 2020-07-23 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: Ren, Zhikui, openbmc, Wang, Kuiying, velumanit, manikandan.e

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 06:28:44PM +0000, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> I would also prefer single process design but as Patrick mentioned about hot pluggable
> Host, either we can predefine maximum allowed host per platform or go for multi
> process  approach for complete dynamic pluggable host.
>
> We really need to assess what is the disadvantage in predefining maximum number of hosts
> With single process because there will be limited slots available per platform.

Thanks Vijay for comment.

The Multi-host on obmc-console and x86-power-control design and implemetation based on
multi-process as i checked source code.

As already obmc-console and x86-power-control agreed on multi-process ,
Is there specific reason we need to go for the single process design to support
on multi-host postcode.

I understand that x86-power-control initially planned to have single process for multi-host
and then later changed to the multi-process.

* Re: add multi-host support in the phosphor-post-code-manager
@ 2020-07-24 16:21   ` Manikandan
From: Manikandan @ 2020-07-24 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Zhikui; +Cc: openbmc, Wang, Kuiying, velumanit, manikandan.e

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:10:04PM +0000, Ren, Zhikui wrote:
> I would think that one process to handle all post-code is a cleaner design.

   Thanks Ren for comments.

   As Patrick mentioned on different hardware toplogy and hot-plug-able
   concept matches with our platform.

   As per my undersatnd on recent multi-host feature such as
   obmc-console, host-logger and x86-power-control implemented based on the multi-process.

   I will update design doc in Gerrit to discuss to further on single or multi-host approach.

@ 2020-07-24 16:32     ` Ren, Zhikui
From: Ren, Zhikui @ 2020-07-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manikandan; +Cc: openbmc, Wang, Kuiying, velumanit, manikandan.e

@ 2020-07-27  2:38       ` Wang, Kuiying
From: Wang, Kuiying @ 2020-07-27  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Zhikui, Manikandan; +Cc: openbmc, velumanit, manikandan.e

Please see all my comments in the Gerrit.

Thanks,
Kwin.

@ 2020-08-04  5:18   ` Manikandan
From: Manikandan @ 2020-08-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc, kuiying.wang, velumanit, manikandan.e

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:20:16AM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 09:30:13PM +0530, Manikandan wrote:
> > Approach 1: << run the multiple process >>
> >
> > Create and run the multiple phosphor-post-code-manager process to handle each host postcode history.
>
> I would lean towards this implementation because I think it is more
> flexible in the long term.  Some multi-host systems are hot-pluggable
> such that you do not statically know how many you're going to have.  In
> some cases you have cards that take up two or three slots, so you really
> don't know the correct topology until you've done discovery.

    Hi Patrick,

      our platform also hot-plug-able and supports maximum four host
      with different hardware topology. Do we need register and unregister
      based on hosts inserted or removed from the slot.

      The multi-host support on obmc-console, host-logger and x86-power-control
      based on number of host passed from receipe.

      I have updated design docuement in below Gerrit and your comments
      will helpful regards hot-plug-able host D-Bus creation and deletion.
      https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/35065

    Thanks
    Mani.E