* Installing only part of linux-firmware
@ 2016-02-07 16:50 Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2016-02-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Is there a way I can just pull in part of the linux-firmware package into my image? I need rtl_nic, but to get this I have to pull in the whole of linux-firmware, which is 54M and forms over 1/3 of the final image.

It looks to me as if I’m going to have to find some way of packaging this myself?

I’m currently building under ‘daisy’.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Installing only part of linux-firmware
@ 2016-02-07 21:49 ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2016-02-07 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

On 7 Feb 2016, at 16:50, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:

> Is there a way I can just pull in part of the linux-firmware package into my image? I need rtl_nic, but to get this I have to pull in the whole of linux-firmware, which is 54M and forms over 1/3 of the final image.
>
> It looks to me as if I’m going to have to find some way of packaging this myself?
>
> I’m currently building under ‘daisy’.

I’ve now done this by creating a bbappend for linux-firmware:

PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-rtl_nic"

FILES_${PN}-rtl_nic = " \
  /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/* \
“

Does what I want, but is that the best way of doing it?

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----

@ 2016-02-08  8:58   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 7 February 2016 at 21:49, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:

> I’ve now done this by creating a bbappend for linux-firmware:
>
> PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-rtl_nic"
>
> FILES_${PN}-rtl_nic = " \
>   /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/* \
> “
>
> Does what I want, but is that the best way of doing it?

This is the best way for you now.

That's exactly why the recipe has quite a lot of subpackages, feel free to
submit more upstream.

Ross

* Re: Installing only part of linux-firmware
@ 2016-02-09 10:15     ` Chris Trobridge
From: Chris Trobridge @ 2016-02-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto Project

I have been pondering linux-firmware recently too.
I have a device fitted that requires the 'iwlwifi-7260' firmware.
This was working but the current driver is requesting versions  13 to 10 of the firmware, in that order.The current (master) poky recipe has versions 8 and 9.The source repo (I believe, https://github.com/OpenELEC/iwlwifi-firmware/tree/master/firmware) has versions up to 17 now.
I can likewise add newer versions of firmware but do you ever prune out old versions?  In this case is seems that the choice of firmware limited by the drivers specified by that version of yocto (via the kernel).
Regards,Chris
From: ross.burton@intel.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 08:58:32 +0000
To: opensource@keylevel.com
CC: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Installing only part of linux-firmware

@ 2016-02-09 13:39       ` Chris Trobridge
From: Chris Trobridge @ 2016-02-09 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Digging deeper, I can see that versions 13 and 16 are in the linux-firmware source repository, so it is just a question of adding a package.  I was already just adding the one firmware image I required.
Looks like a good candidate for a practice patch.
Cheers,Chris

From: christrobridge@hotmail.com
To: ross.burton@intel.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 10:15:45 +0000