* creating a cascaded linear devices fails
@ 2011-04-14  9:06 Eli Malul
From: Eli Malul @ 2011-04-14  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

I do not understand why creating a linear device and then trying to
create another linear device on top of it fails.

1.       Creating a linear device over loop1:
===========================
dmsetup create linear_loop1 /tmp/linear_loop1

cat /tmp/linear_loop1
0 1000 linear /dev/loop1 0

2.       Then creating another linear device over this linear device:
dmsetup create linear_loop2 /tmp/linear_loop2

device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
Command failed

cat /tmp/klinear_loop2
0 1000 linear /dev/linear_loop1 0

Could you please explain what am I doing wrong?