* HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29  5:33 Simone Mannori
From: Simone Mannori @ 2016-03-29  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-parisc

Hello everyone,

I have recenty bought a second-hand HP c8000 workstation and I would
like to install Linux.
The c8000 has arrived with a pre-installed HP-UX 11 and works
perfectly (no hardware issues).

No matter Debian or Gentoo versions, the install CD/DVD boot/install
process hangs in the very same place. Just to limit the discussion to
a specific case, I would like to take in account the latest Debian 8.0
unstable: http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/debian-8.0
( https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation )

The c8000 has TWO serial ports (A and B). Using null modem cables I
have connected both serial ports to a Dell desktop with two serial
ports and two serial terminals (9600, 8, n ,1) programs open.

Serial A : a lot of diagnostic and booting messages. The c8000 "bios"
produces a lot of "post" messages on the Serial A port.

Serial B : none

The CD/DVD Linux install disk boots and produce a series of messages
on the VGA monitor, then hungs. No further messages on the built-in
serial ports A and B. Game over ?

On Internet I have found serveral posts that point out the necessity
of a PCI serial port "PC compatible UART". I will try it as soon it
will available.

Just to be sure, can you confirm/negate/answer to the following questions?

Q1. On HP c8000 the built-in serial ports A and B are useless for
Linux installation. A PCI serial card with a PC compatible UART must
be used.

Q2. After installation, serial ports A and B are still unusable with
Linux or they become available?

Q3. Is it possible to install Linux and boot from an IDE/PATA disk or
any IDE/PATA disk will be available only as "data disk" (no boot; boot
works only on SCSI disks)?

Q3. I have found that c8000 "bios" has an x86 emulator capable to
detect and initialise PCI and AGP "x86 PC" cards with x86 coded
VGA-BIOS. It is correct?

Q4. Recent kernel and X11 versions have built-in hardware support for
OpenGL for the models where the manifacture has released the technical
specs. Why on Linux-hppa the hardware acceleration is not supported?

Q5. After the installation, the built-in Ethernet interface will
becomes available or I need to install a second PCI network card?

Q6. Recent kernel versions have built-in Comedi data acquisition
drivers built-in. If I will install a compatible DAQ card in a PCI
slot, it will works?

Q7. Someone has tried any hard-real-time-patched linux kernel on
pa-risc machines (like RT-PREEMPT or RTAI) or other tricks to reduce
kernel latency (like forced cpu assignement to a specific process)?

Thanks in advance for your help. A lot of hppa/c8000 hardware is now
available at ridiculous prices, therefore I suppose that the answer to
my questions in a single thread will help a lot of hppa newbies like
me.

    Simone Mannori - Italy

* Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29  6:04 ` Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2016-03-29  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Mannori; +Cc: linux-parisc

> Q1. On HP c8000 the built-in serial ports A and B are useless for
> Linux installation. A PCI serial card with a PC compatible UART must
> be used.
>
> Q2. After installation, serial ports A and B are still unusable with
> Linux or they become available?

Both ports will work, but they have non-standard names. You need to pass
"console=ttyB0" to see the boot messages.

> Q3. Is it possible to install Linux and boot from an IDE/PATA disk or
> any IDE/PATA disk will be available only as "data disk" (no boot; boot
> works only on SCSI disks)?

I have installed mine from an IDE CD to SCSI disks, no idea if booting from
IDE disks works.

> Q3. I have found that c8000 "bios" has an x86 emulator capable to
> detect and initialise PCI and AGP "x86 PC" cards with x86 coded
> VGA-BIOS. It is correct?

Yes, you can use standard AGP cards. I have not done it myself, but a
colleague did.

> Q4. Recent kernel and X11 versions have built-in hardware support for
> OpenGL for the models where the manifacture has released the technical
> specs. Why on Linux-hppa the hardware acceleration is not supported?

Probably because noone did it.

> Q5. After the installation, the built-in Ethernet interface will
> becomes available or I need to install a second PCI network card?

Works fine, e1000 driver.

> Q6. Recent kernel versions have built-in Comedi data acquisition
> drivers built-in. If I will install a compatible DAQ card in a PCI
> slot, it will works?

None idea, but if not it's probably just a bug.

> Q7. Someone has tried any hard-real-time-patched linux kernel on
> pa-risc machines (like RT-PREEMPT or RTAI) or other tricks to reduce
> kernel latency (like forced cpu assignement to a specific process)?

I did not. The machine is slow enough that I'm happy for every throughput I
get without this ;)

Greetings,

Eike

* Aw: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29  7:48   ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-03-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf Eike Beer; +Cc: Simone Mannori, linux-parisc

> > Q1. On HP c8000 the built-in serial ports A and B are useless for
> > Linux installation. A PCI serial card with a PC compatible UART must
> > be used.

No, the serial ports on C8000 are fully useable.
No need to add other serial cards.

> > Q2. After installation, serial ports A and B are still unusable with
> > Linux or they become available?
>
> Both ports will work, but they have non-standard names. You need to pass
> "console=ttyB0" to see the boot messages.

With the debian install image you don't need to do any changes to the names.
Please read the documentation at
https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
especially this part:
- Installation of a C8000 workstation needs to happen via serial console since the install image will not activate the ATI graphics card.
- After installation the ATI cards will work in non-accelerated mode though.

I'd suggest to just plug the graphics cable and keyboard cable, and then
install via serial port (that works, I did it on my C8000 machines).

> > Q3. Is it possible to install Linux and boot from an IDE/PATA disk or
> > any IDE/PATA disk will be available only as "data disk" (no boot; boot
> > works only on SCSI disks)?
>
> I have installed mine from an IDE CD to SCSI disks, no idea if booting from
> IDE disks works.

Yes, installing and/or booting from IDE hard disc drive or CD works.

> > Q3. I have found that c8000 "bios" has an x86 emulator capable to
> > detect and initialise PCI and AGP "x86 PC" cards with x86 coded
> > VGA-BIOS. It is correct?
>
> Yes, you can use standard AGP cards. I have not done it myself, but a
> colleague did.

I never tried.

> > Q4. Recent kernel and X11 versions have built-in hardware support for
> > OpenGL for the models where the manifacture has released the technical
> > specs. Why on Linux-hppa the hardware acceleration is not supported?
>
> Probably because noone did it.

We have problems initializing the ATI cards to a state where the
standard Linux drivers can take over.
Not sure where exactly the problem is.
Look at the kernel messages, something like "Initialization of ring failed..."

> > Q5. After the installation, the built-in Ethernet interface will
> > becomes available or I need to install a second PCI network card?
>
> Works fine, e1000 driver.

Correct.

> > Q6. Recent kernel versions have built-in Comedi data acquisition
> > drivers built-in. If I will install a compatible DAQ card in a PCI
> > slot, it will works?
>
> None idea, but if not it's probably just a bug.

No idea. Try it and report back.

> > Q7. Someone has tried any hard-real-time-patched linux kernel on
> > pa-risc machines (like RT-PREEMPT or RTAI) or other tricks to reduce
> > kernel latency (like forced cpu assignement to a specific process)?
>
> I did not. The machine is slow enough that I'm happy for every throughput I
> get without this ;)

I didn't tried either.

Helge

* Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29  9:12     ` Simone Mannori
From: Simone Mannori @ 2016-03-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

Thanks a lot for your answers and suggestions, but on a specific point
I'm really perplexed.

> With the debian install image you don't need to do any changes to the names.
> Please read the documentation at
> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
> especially this part:
> - Installation of a C8000 workstation needs to happen via serial console since the install image will not activate the ATI graphics card.
> - After installation the ATI cards will work in non-accelerated mode though.
>
> I'd suggest to just plug the graphics cable and keyboard cable, and then
> install via serial port (that works, I did it on my C8000 machines).

Serial A (c8000) --> COM1 (Dell 490)
Serial B (c8000) --> COM2 (Dell 490)

Both serial ports use tied&tested null modem cables and 9600,8,N,1
standard setting; Dell 490 runs Win8.1 with two terminal programs
open.

Serial A shows only BIOS/POST messages; Serial B is dead.

I'm using Debian 8.0 ustable boot CD "debian-8.0-hppa-CD-1.iso"; the
CD boot perfecty (usual linux boot messages on vga monitor)  then
hung, looking for a serial port.

> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation

said " Installation of a C8000 workstation needs to happen via serial
console since the install image will not activate the ATI graphics
card. After installation the ATI cards will work in non-accelerated
mode though. " .... but other people said that you need an additional
PCI serial card with PC-compatible UART.

Question: "Can you tell me which serial port (A or B?) and parameters
(baud rate, n-bits, stop bit, parity, etc). you have used to complete
the Debian installation? "

Thanks in advance for your help.

  Simone Mannori - Italy

* Aw: Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29 10:01       ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-03-29 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Mannori; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

Hi Simone,

> Thanks a lot for your answers and suggestions, but on a specific point
> I'm really perplexed.
>
> > With the debian install image you don't need to do any changes to the names.
> > Please read the documentation at
> > https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
> > especially this part:
> > - Installation of a C8000 workstation needs to happen via serial console since the install image will not activate the ATI graphics card.
> > - After installation the ATI cards will work in non-accelerated mode though.
> >
> > I'd suggest to just plug the graphics cable and keyboard cable, and then
> > install via serial port (that works, I did it on my C8000 machines).
>
> Serial A (c8000) --> COM1 (Dell 490)
> Serial B (c8000) --> COM2 (Dell 490)
>
> Both serial ports use tied&tested null modem cables and 9600,8,N,1
> standard setting; Dell 490 runs Win8.1 with two terminal programs
> open.
>
> Serial A shows only BIOS/POST messages; Serial B is dead.

Yes, that's OK.
If you see the POST messages on Serial A, it's correct.

Here is the manual for the C8000:
https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/images-parisc/1/18/HP_C8000_Manual.pdf

This is how you should do it:
1. Power *off* the C8000 first.
2. Plug out the graphics cable and keyboard cable.
3. Power *on* the C8000
4. It will show POST messages on the serialA, detect that the cables were plugged and present the "Main Menu" on the serial port
(see page 2-4 in the PDF)
5. With the "PATH" command, you can see the current console/keyboard paths.
6. Make sure, that the "console path" is not "graphXYZ" and the "keyboard path" is not "USB_XYZ".
Instead run "path console serial0"  (or "path console serialA" - please check!).
7. After setting the console path to serialA, boot from the CD/DVD.

> I'm using Debian 8.0 ustable boot CD "debian-8.0-hppa-CD-1.iso"; the
> CD boot perfecty (usual linux boot messages on vga monitor)  then
> hung, looking for a serial port.
>
> > https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
>
> said " Installation of a C8000 workstation needs to happen via serial
> console since the install image will not activate the ATI graphics
> card. After installation the ATI cards will work in non-accelerated
> mode though. "

Yes.

>.... but other people said that you need an additional
> PCI serial card with PC-compatible UART.

Who says this ? Links?

> Question: "Can you tell me which serial port (A or B?) and parameters
> (baud rate, n-bits, stop bit, parity, etc). you have used to complete
> the Debian installation? "

9600,8,N,1 is the default.
Since you see the post messages, you should be fine.

Helge

* Re: Aw: Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-29 12:39         ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-03-29 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Mannori; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

On 29.03.2016 12:01, Helge Deller wrote:
> Here is the manual for the C8000:
> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/images-parisc/1/18/HP_C8000_Manual.pdf
>
> This is how you should do it:
> 1. Power *off* the C8000 first.
> 2. Plug out the graphics cable and keyboard cable.
> 3. Power *on* the C8000
> 4. It will show POST messages on the serialA, detect that the cables were plugged and present the "Main Menu" on the serial port
> (see page 2-4 in the PDF)
> 5. With the "PATH" command, you can see the current console/keyboard paths.
> 6. Make sure, that the "console path" is not "graphXYZ" and the "keyboard path" is not "USB_XYZ".
> Instead run "path console serial0"  (or "path console serialA" - please check!).
> 7. After setting the console path to serialA, boot from the CD/DVD.

Just for the record - this is what my C8000 shows in the "Main Menu":

Duplex Console IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
   (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved

  Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache Size
  Number                                       State              Inst    Data
  ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ------------
      0       900 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB/32 MB
      1       900 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB

  Central Bus Speed (in MHz)  :        200
  Available Memory            :    8388608  KB
  Good Memory Required        : Not initialized. Defaults to 32 MB.

   Primary boot path:    scsiA.5
                         0/2/1/0.5
   Alternate boot path:  lan.0.0.0.0
                         0/3/3/0
   Console path:         graph3
                         0/4/0/0.0

   Current Console path: serial_A.643
                         17.643
   Keyboard path:        usb0
                         0/3/1/0.0
   Keyboard path ignored for serial consoles.

 WARNING:  No usable graphics console was found on this system.  It
           may be that no graphics card is present, the graphics card
           is not functioning properly, or no USB keyboard is connected.
           The console has defaulted to a serial port.

If you choose "serial_A" as console path it should work (I don't use the graphics card either).

@ 2016-03-29 12:41           ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-03-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Mannori; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

On 29.03.2016 14:39, Helge Deller wrote:
> On 29.03.2016 12:01, Helge Deller wrote:
>> Here is the manual for the C8000:
>> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/images-parisc/1/18/HP_C8000_Manual.pdf
>>
>> This is how you should do it:
>> 1. Power *off* the C8000 first.
>> 2. Plug out the graphics cable and keyboard cable.
>> 3. Power *on* the C8000
>> 4. It will show POST messages on the serialA, detect that the cables were plugged and present the "Main Menu" on the serial port
>> (see page 2-4 in the PDF)
>> 5. With the "PATH" command, you can see the current console/keyboard paths.
>> 6. Make sure, that the "console path" is not "graphXYZ" and the "keyboard path" is not "USB_XYZ".
>> Instead run "path console serial0"  (or "path console serialA" - please check!).
>> 7. After setting the console path to serialA, boot from the CD/DVD.
>
> Just for the record - this is what my C8000 shows in the "Main Menu":
>
> Duplex Console IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
>    (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved
>
>   Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache Size
>   Number                                       State              Inst    Data
>   ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ------------
>       0       900 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB/32 MB
>       1       900 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB
>
>   Central Bus Speed (in MHz)  :        200
>   Available Memory            :    8388608  KB
>   Good Memory Required        : Not initialized. Defaults to 32 MB.
>
>    Primary boot path:    scsiA.5
>                          0/2/1/0.5
>    Alternate boot path:  lan.0.0.0.0
>                          0/3/3/0
>    Console path:         graph3
>                          0/4/0/0.0
>
>    Current Console path: serial_A.643
>                          17.643
>    Keyboard path:        usb0
>                          0/3/1/0.0
>    Keyboard path ignored for serial consoles.
>

>  WARNING:  No usable graphics console was found on this system.  It
>            may be that no graphics card is present, the graphics card
>            is not functioning properly, or no USB keyboard is connected.
>            The console has defaulted to a serial port.
>

> If you choose "serial_A" as console path it should work (I don't use the graphics card either).

By the way, the PALO boot loader will automatically add "console=ttyS0" to the kernel command line in that case.

@ 2016-03-30  4:59             ` Simone Mannori
From: Simone Mannori @ 2016-03-30  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

Success !

The key moves were disconnect keyboard and monitor first, connect to
Serial Port A and use the terminal to change default console to serial
port ("path con serial_A" command). With this configuration, all the
communication pass through to the Serial Port A and the Debian
installation runs clean and sweet.
Just to be clear for the next newbie, your Debian 8.0
_needs_internet_connection active to complete the installation The
c8000 built in Ethernet port is automatically configured with DHCP.
Hard disk partioning and formatting is also very smooth if you choose
the "easy" options (full disk,single partition).
As desktop, I choose Mate (I'm a Linux Mint fan).

I have rebooted the c8000 with a full HD monitor, keyboard and mouse
attached. With the serial terminal I have changed default console to
"graph3" (the AGP video card). Booting from the hard disk with Debian
installed open the classic login screen. The full HD monitor was
correctly detected and the resolution was the right one. Synaptic is
installed by defalt, so additional software installation is definetely
not an issue. Who said that Debian was difficult to install and
configure?

Sometime windows dragging and updating looks slow. No 2D acceleration,
frame buffer only? I don't know.

But the good news are not finished: installing "mesa-utils" I have
verified that 3D accelerated OpenGL is active and running (glxinfo is
OK and glxgears runs at 50 fps).

Thanks a lot for your very helpful guide to the installation process:
linux-parisc is one the most "newbie-friendy" mailing list of the
Linux Universe.

If you think useful, I'm available to write or update a wiki page for
Linux on the HP c8000. Otherwise, I will open a dedicated blog and
send you the link.

//**-----------------

Now, I'm fighting with a very hardware issue: the screws of the PA
CPUs are non standard hex with a center pin. I hate this things.
Yesterday evening I was ready to upgrade from a single PA-8800/900 MHz
to a dual PA-8900/1GHz when I have discovered the screw issue. Today,
I'm going to go the Forge and build a "compatible" tool. Just for my
curiosity: "Have you found a compatible tool?".

Next episode: "For a fist of MIPS". "What happen when a quad-core HP
c8000 (2 x PA-8900, 1GHz) meets a quad-core Raspberry PI 3 (ARM
Cortex-A53, 1.2 GHz) ?"

Simone Mannori  - Italy

On 29 March 2016 at 14:41, Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 29.03.2016 14:39, Helge Deller wrote:
>> On 29.03.2016 12:01, Helge Deller wrote:
>>> Here is the manual for the C8000:
>>> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/images-parisc/1/18/HP_C8000_Manual.pdf
>>>
>>> This is how you should do it:
>>> 1. Power *off* the C8000 first.
>>> 2. Plug out the graphics cable and keyboard cable.
>>> 3. Power *on* the C8000
>>> 4. It will show POST messages on the serialA, detect that the cables were plugged and present the "Main Menu" on the serial port
>>> (see page 2-4 in the PDF)
>>> 5. With the "PATH" command, you can see the current console/keyboard paths.
>>> 6. Make sure, that the "console path" is not "graphXYZ" and the "keyboard path" is not "USB_XYZ".
>>> Instead run "path console serial0"  (or "path console serialA" - please check!).
>>> 7. After setting the console path to serialA, boot from the CD/DVD.
>>
>> Just for the record - this is what my C8000 shows in the "Main Menu":
>>
>> Duplex Console IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
>>    (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved
>>
>>   Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache Size
>>   Number                                       State              Inst    Data
>>   ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ------------
>>       0       900 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB/32 MB
>>       1       900 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB
>>
>>   Central Bus Speed (in MHz)  :        200
>>   Available Memory            :    8388608  KB
>>   Good Memory Required        : Not initialized. Defaults to 32 MB.
>>
>>    Primary boot path:    scsiA.5
>>                          0/2/1/0.5
>>    Alternate boot path:  lan.0.0.0.0
>>                          0/3/3/0
>>    Console path:         graph3
>>                          0/4/0/0.0
>>
>>    Current Console path: serial_A.643
>>                          17.643
>>    Keyboard path:        usb0
>>                          0/3/1/0.0
>>    Keyboard path ignored for serial consoles.
>>

>>  WARNING:  No usable graphics console was found on this system.  It
>>            may be that no graphics card is present, the graphics card
>>            is not functioning properly, or no USB keyboard is connected.
>>            The console has defaulted to a serial port.
>>

>> If you choose "serial_A" as console path it should work (I don't use the graphics card either).
>
> By the way, the PALO boot loader will automatically add "console=ttyS0" to the kernel command line in that case.
>
> Helge

* Aw: Re:  Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-03-30  9:59               ` Helge Deller
       [not found]                 ` <CAFk90B9NiwRGLpmtvcut6YVOoT8biirAvHO7XEW+mBNnpbtd+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-03-30  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Mannori; +Cc: Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

Hi Simone,

> Success !

Great!

> The key moves were disconnect keyboard and monitor first, connect to
> Serial Port A and use the terminal to change default console to serial
> port ("path con serial_A" command). With this configuration, all the
> communication pass through to the Serial Port A and the Debian
> installation runs clean and sweet.

Just for the record:
The C8000 is the ONLY parisc machine where you have to install debian
via serial console. ALL OTHER machines can be installed the usual way
with monitor and keyboard.

> Just to be clear for the next newbie, your Debian 8.0
> _needs_internet_connection active to complete the installation The
> c8000 built in Ethernet port is automatically configured with DHCP.

Yes, the current install images need network connection.
I did something wrong when I created them, but we are planning to build
new install images soon which won't require network connection.

> Hard disk partioning and formatting is also very smooth if you choose
> the "easy" options (full disk,single partition).
> As desktop, I choose Mate (I'm a Linux Mint fan).
>
> I have rebooted the c8000 with a full HD monitor, keyboard and mouse
> attached. With the serial terminal I have changed default console to
> "graph3" (the AGP video card). Booting from the hard disk with Debian
> installed open the classic login screen. The full HD monitor was
> correctly detected and the resolution was the right one. Synaptic is
> installed by defalt, so additional software installation is definetely
> not an issue. Who said that Debian was difficult to install and
> configure?
>
> Sometime windows dragging and updating looks slow. No 2D acceleration,
> frame buffer only? I don't know.

Yes, currently it's unaccelerated frame buffer only.

> But the good news are not finished: installing "mesa-utils" I have
> verified that 3D accelerated OpenGL is active and running (glxinfo is
> OK and glxgears runs at 50 fps).

I'm wondering here. So it seems the ati userspace driver seems to
correctly initialize the 3D engine ?

> Thanks a lot for your very helpful guide to the installation process:
> linux-parisc is one the most "newbie-friendy" mailing list of the
> Linux Universe.
>
> If you think useful, I'm available to write or update a wiki page for
> Linux on the HP c8000. Otherwise, I will open a dedicated blog and
> send you the link.

It would be great if you could write it up in the wiki.
Please request an account here:
https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Special:RequestAccount
I will then give you permissions to our wiki.

> //**-----------------
>
> Now, I'm fighting with a very hardware issue: the screws of the PA
> CPUs are non standard hex with a center pin. I hate this things.
> Yesterday evening I was ready to upgrade from a single PA-8800/900 MHz
> to a dual PA-8900/1GHz

I'm not sure if this will simply work. I was looking at the idea myself
once, and googling for that it seems that some firmware update needs to
be done in order for the machine to accept the additional CPU.
If you do it, please let us know...

> when I have discovered the screw issue. Today,
> I'm going to go the Forge and build a "compatible" tool. Just for my
> curiosity: "Have you found a compatible tool?".
>
> Next episode: "For a fist of MIPS". "What happen when a quad-core HP
> c8000 (2 x PA-8900, 1GHz) meets a quad-core Raspberry PI 3 (ARM
> Cortex-A53, 1.2 GHz) ?"
>
> Simone Mannori  - Italy

Helge

> On 29 March 2016 at 14:41, Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> Just for the record - this is what my C8000 shows in the "Main Menu":
> >>
> >> Duplex Console IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
> >>    (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved
> >>
> >>   Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache Size
> >>   Number                                       State              Inst    Data
> >>   ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ------------
> >>       0       900 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB/32 MB
> >>       1       900 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB/32 MB
> >>
> >>   Central Bus Speed (in MHz)  :        200
> >>   Available Memory            :    8388608  KB
> >>   Good Memory Required        : Not initialized. Defaults to 32 MB.
> >>
> >>    Primary boot path:    scsiA.5
> >>                          0/2/1/0.5
> >>    Alternate boot path:  lan.0.0.0.0
> >>                          0/3/3/0
> >>    Console path:         graph3
> >>                          0/4/0/0.0
> >>
> >>    Current Console path: serial_A.643
> >>                          17.643
> >>    Keyboard path:        usb0
> >>                          0/3/1/0.0
> >>    Keyboard path ignored for serial consoles.
> >>

> >>  WARNING:  No usable graphics console was found on this system.  It
> >>            may be that no graphics card is present, the graphics card
> >>            is not functioning properly, or no USB keyboard is connected.
> >>            The console has defaulted to a serial port.
> >>

> >> If you choose "serial_A" as console path it should work (I don't use the graphics card either).
> >
> > By the way, the PALO boot loader will automatically add "console=ttyS0" to the kernel command line in that case.
> >
> > Helge

* Re: Re: Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
       [not found]                 ` <CAFk90B9NiwRGLpmtvcut6YVOoT8biirAvHO7XEW+mBNnpbtd+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-03-30 13:54                   ` Simone Mannori
From: Simone Mannori @ 2016-03-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Gower; +Cc: Helge Deller, Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

Success: confirmed CPU upgrade from 1 to 2 CPUs (four cores) !

A very skilled friend has borrowed the right tools.
Apart some mechanical "delicatessen" the upgrade has been
strightforward and successfull.
HP-UX diagnostic program "SAM" confirms 4 cores.

Now, I'm installing Debian 8.0 again, but on an IDE/PATA 7200 rpm 120G
hard disk: I want to compare the performance respect the 15.000 rpm
SCSI beast used yesterday.

Simone Mannori - Italy

On 30 March 2016 at 12:57, Graham Gower <graham.gower@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> If you do it, please let us know...
>

> I have done this with success. You can buy the required tools cheaply on
> ebay. You'll need a T15 Security Torx Screwdriver and a *long* 2.5mm allen
> key. The c8000 user manual describes the process.
>
> My understanding is that a motherboard can in principle be locked to
> disallow the addition of a second CPU, which would require some kind of
> unlock code from the vendor. I don't know if any C8000's are locked in
> practice, but none of the three boards I've used were locked (only one board
> had two CPUs to start with).
>

>> > when I have discovered the screw issue. Today,
>> > I'm going to go the Forge and build a "compatible" tool. Just for my
>> > curiosity: "Have you found a compatible tool?".
>> >
>> > Next episode: "For a fist of MIPS". "What happen when a quad-core HP
>> > c8000 (2 x PA-8900, 1GHz) meets a quad-core Raspberry PI 3 (ARM

* Re: Aw: Re:  Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
       [not found]                 ` <CAFk90B9NiwRGLpmtvcut6YVOoT8biirAvHO7XEW+mBNnpbtd+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-04-02 21:48                 ` John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2016-04-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller; +Cc: Simone Mannori, Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

On 2016-03-30, at 5:59 AM, Helge Deller wrote:

>> Now, I'm fighting with a very hardware issue: the screws of the PA
>> CPUs are non standard hex with a center pin. I hate this things.
>> Yesterday evening I was ready to upgrade from a single PA-8800/900 MHz
>> to a dual PA-8900/1GHz
>
> I'm not sure if this will simply work. I was looking at the idea myself
> once, and googling for that it seems that some firmware update needs to
> be done in order for the machine to accept the additional CPU.
> If you do it, please let us know...

I had to replace cpu in my rp3440.  I asked vendor if it would be possible to increase speed
from 800 MHz and they said no.  I think it's possible to add a second cpu but don't have any
personal experience.  The machine did run with one cpu module.

The screws are a pain...

Dave
--
John David Anglin	dave.anglin@bell.net

* Re: Aw: Re: Re: Re: HP c8000 linux install issues, troubles and questions
@ 2016-04-03  6:39                   ` Simone Mannori
From: Simone Mannori @ 2016-04-03  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John David Anglin; +Cc: Helge Deller, Rolf Eike Beer, linux-parisc

In my - very limited, just one c8000 - experience, the CPU upgrade is
a successfull move: I have upgraded from one to two PA-8800:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------
   (c) Copyright 1995-2004, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserve=
-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------

  Processor   Speed            State           CoProcessor        Cache=
 Size
  Number                                       State              Inst =
   Data
  ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  -----=
-------
      0      1000 MHz   Active                 Functional         32 MB=
/32 MB
      1      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB=
/32 MB
      2      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB=
/32 MB
      3      1000 MHz   Idle                   Functional         32 MB=
/32 MB

The two CPUs MUST be of the same model, have the same clock frequency
AND have the same revision number. I strongly suspect that HP has
produced "equal" CPUs but with different revision number.

I had the very same issue restoring and upgrading a DELL 690, a dual
Xeon "Gro=C3=9Frechner " with 1100Watt power supply. The two Xeon must =
be
"matched" otherwise the BIOS refuse to start the booting process.

I have recently bough two PA-8800 on ebay and the supplier has sent to
me two different CPUs! Looking the integrated heat sink, there are two
models: the plain "clear alluminium" and the "satinated copper". My
c8000 was equipped with a single "satinated copper" CPU, so I chose
the identical one and, with the help of a very skilled technician
equiped with the right screwdrivers, I have successfully completed the
upgrade: everythings works perfectly with HP-UX v11 and Linux Debian
8.0 kernel :

Linux version 4.4.0-1-parisc64-smp (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org)
(gcc version 4.9.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.4.6-1 (2016-03-17)

If you need, I can dump the CPUs revision numbers. With the help of
Helge, I'm putting the results of my jurney in the c8000 territory on
a dedicated wikipage: searching in the maling list messages can be
very frustrating, expecially for a newbie like me.

Now, I'm fighting with the video cards initializiation failure: I
strongly suspect that the problem is not inside the (kernel) video
driver module because both "nouveau" (NVIDIA) and "radeon" (ATI)
produce exactly the very same error message and switch back to
"passive" frame buffer mode.

 Simone Mannori - Italy

On 2 April 2016 at 23:48, John David Anglin <dave.anglin@bell.net> wrot=
e:
> On 2016-03-30, at 5:59 AM, Helge Deller wrote:
>
>>> Now, I'm fighting with a very hardware issue: the screws of the PA
>>> CPUs are non standard hex with a center pin. I hate this things.
>>> Yesterday evening I was ready to upgrade from a single PA-8800/900 =
MHz
>>> to a dual PA-8900/1GHz
>>
>> I'm not sure if this will simply work. I was looking at the idea mys=
elf
>> once, and googling for that it seems that some firmware update needs=
>> be done in order for the machine to accept the additional CPU.
>> If you do it, please let us know...
>
> I had to replace cpu in my rp3440.  I asked vendor if it would be pos=
sible to increase speed
> from 800 MHz and they said no.  I think it's possible to add a second=
 cpu but don't have any
> personal experience.  The machine did run with one cpu module.
>
> The screws are a pain...
>
> Dave
> --
> John David Anglin       dave.anglin@bell.net