* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-03 19:41 Jonathan Kraut
From: Jonathan Kraut @ 2003-11-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello again.  Further research:

I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessing hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition this particular version of jackd tells me:

Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for capture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.

and jackd quits.

Accesssing hw:0 works fine with jack, but again, I can't record from spdif. So there really seems to be a problem with hw:0,2 in alsa-driver-0.9.8 (I also test 0.9.7c, same results).

Does anyone have any thoughts?  If this really is not a problem with alsa I'll post to the jack list instead, and use 0.9.2 in the meanwhile.  Please let me know.

Thanks!

Jon

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:06:26 -0500, Jonathan Kraut wrote:

>(I sent this earlier twice but forgot to subscribe and then gave wrong email a
>ddress, so earlier two are pending moderator approval.  Please ignore those, a
>nd sorry).
>
>Hi,
>
>Alsa-driver-0.9.8 doesn't work properly for full duplex operation with jack-0.
>80 and spdif from a cmedia 8738. (I had been using alsa 0.9.2, before, and it
>worked just fine).  Here's what happens:
>
>starting jack with
>jackd -d alsa -d cmipci
>causes the D/A Valid light on my external DA converter (a midiman flying cow)
>to go off, the levels to get pegged, and i can hear what sounds like spdif in
>my speakers.  I quit jack, the flying cow remains in it's weird loop, and i do
> something like starting and quitting esd to reset it.
>
>if i only do capture (jackd -d alsa -d cmipci -C) it seems fine, but of course
> no output.
>
>if i don't use .asoundrc (jackd -d alsa -d hw:0) the output is fine, but jack
>can't read any input. Note: recording without jack using arecord doesn't work
>with hw:0,0, but arecord -Dhw:0,2 does (as expected)
>
>Since 0.92 works with the same jack version (0.80), I decided to post here fir
>st.  I'm more than willing to send along any other info to help resolve this p
>roblem.
>
>my .asoundrc:
>pcm.cmipci {
>	type hw
>	card 0
>	device 2
>}
>
>ctl.cmipci {
>	type hw
>	card 0
>}
>

>my /proc/asound/devices: (device 3 is the dummy driver)
>  1:       : sequencer
>  0: [0- 0]: ctl
>  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
> 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
> 26: [0- 2]: digital audio capture
> 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>  4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent
> 33:       : timer
> 32: [1- 0]: ctl
> 43: [1- 3]: raw midi
> 42: [1- 2]: raw midi
> 41: [1- 1]: raw midi
> 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
> 64: [2- 0]: ctl
> 72: [2- 0]: raw midi
> 96: [3- 0]: ctl
>112: [3- 0]: digital audio playback
>120: [3- 0]: digital audio capture
>
>Thanks a bunch!
>Jon
>
>--------
>Jonathan Kraut
>NYC
>jak76@columbia.edu

--------
Jonathan Kraut
NYC
jak76@columbia.edu

* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-04 16:11 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-11-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Kraut; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0500,
Jonathan Kraut wrote:

> Hello again.  Further research:
>
> I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessing hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition this particular version of jackd tells me:

> Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for capture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.
>
> and jackd quits.

this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...

Takashi

* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-04 17:10   ` Paul Davis
From: Paul Davis @ 2003-11-04 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Jonathan Kraut, alsa-devel

>At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0500,
>Jonathan Kraut wrote:
>>

>> Hello again.  Further research:
>>
>> I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessin
>g hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition th
>is particular version of jackd tells me:

>> Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for cap
>ture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.
>>
>> and jackd quits.
>
>this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
>24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...

a reminder that for some time now, JACK supports the -P option which
limits it to playback only. useful if that's all you want and/or all
your hardware can do.

--p

* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-04 18:10     ` Jonathan Kraut
From: Jonathan Kraut @ 2003-11-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:10:23 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>>At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0500,
>>Jonathan Kraut wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello again.  Further research:
>>>
>>> I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessin
>>g hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition th
>>is particular version of jackd tells me:

>>> Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for cap
>>ture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.
>>>
>>> and jackd quits.
>>
>>this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
>>24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...
>
>a reminder that for some time now, JACK supports the -P option which
>limits it to playback only. useful if that's all you want and/or all
>your hardware can do.
>
>--p

Actually it is playback (and thus duplex) that I'm having trouble with (alsa-driver-0.9.8 and jackd-0.80.0). Capture works fine from hw:0,2 using jack via my .asoundrc.  It's when I try and tell jack to play (both -P and -D options) to hw:0,2 that my ad/da converter gets blasted into this weird loop (a midiman flying cow), like I described in my earlier post.  If the whole thing is caused by the discrepancy in the bit sizes in newer versions of alsa-driver, i'm fine using 0.9.2 until that's resolved (i'm very happy to test when it is, btw), since that version works perfectly for full duplex spdif operation.  For posterity I posted a bug to alsa's sourceforge site:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&atid=390601&aid=834652&group_id=27464

thanks again,

--------
Jonathan Kraut
NYC
jak76@columbia.edu

* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-05  9:50       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-11-05  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Kraut; +Cc: Paul Davis, alsa-devel

At Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:10:17 -0500,
Jonathan Kraut wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:10:23 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >>g hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition th
> >>is particular version of jackd tells me:

> >>ture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.

> >>this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
> >>24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...
> >
> >a reminder that for some time now, JACK supports the -P option which
> >limits it to playback only. useful if that's all you want and/or all
> >your hardware can do.
> >
> >--p
>
> Actually it is playback (and thus duplex) that I'm having trouble with (alsa-driver-0.9.8 and jackd-0.80.0). Capture works fine from hw:0,2 using jack via my .asoundrc.  It's when I try and tell jack to play (both -P and -D options) to hw:0,2 that my ad/da converter gets blasted into this weird loop (a midiman flying cow), like I described in my earlier post.  If the whole thing is caused by the discrepancy in the bit sizes in newer versions of alsa-driver, i'm fine using 0.9.2 until that's resolved (i'm very happy to test when it is, btw), since that version works perfectly for full duplex spdif operation.  For posterity I posted a bug to alsa's sourceforge site:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&atid=390601&aid=834652&group_id=27464

the problem is that if you use 24bit on playback, the capture may not
work as full duplex.  IIRC, unfortunately, there is no option to limit
the format for hw type.  instead, you can try the plug layer with the
format parameter, such as

pcm.cmi {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm hw:0,2
		format S16_LE
	}
}

note that the above is untested :)

Paul, is there any option to specify (limit) the format in jackd?

Takashi

* Re: alsa-driver-0.9.8, jack, cmipci
@ 2003-11-16 17:18     ` Jonathan Kraut
From: Jonathan Kraut @ 2003-11-16 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:10:23 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>>At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0500,
>>Jonathan Kraut wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello again.  Further research:
>>>
>>> I tried an earlier version of jack (0.71.0) with alsa-driver-0.9.8, accessi
>>g hw:0,2 via my .asoundrc. I get the same result as before, but in addition t
>>is particular version of jackd tells me:

>>> Sorry. The PCM device "cmipci"doesn't support the same sample format for ca
>>ture and playback.We cannot use this PCM device.
>>>
>>> and jackd quits.
>>
>>this is likely because the newer version of cmipci driver supports
>>24bit SPDIF output, but no input yet...
>
>a reminder that for some time now, JACK supports the -P option which
>limits it to playback only. useful if that's all you want and/or all
>your hardware can do.
>
>--p

well, using jack-0.90.0/alsa-driver-0.9.8 now seems to work just fine again for full duplex using jacks default (in other words i can capture off of spdif using hw:0, which didn't work with jack-0.80). so great! (btw playback using hw:0,2 still throws my system into the same weird state, but i can ignore that now). thanks for listening!  i guess jack capturing off of hw:0 was a jack issue, and jack playing back to hw:0,2 is an alsa-issue? (but i don't know very much, so i could be very wrong).

btw sorry about the multiple posts before...got too cute with multiple email addresses.

thanks again.

-j

--------
Jonathan Kraut

[...]