* xen2.0 building error
@ 2004-11-10  6:44 yi yang
From: yi yang @ 2004-11-10  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest xen2.0 release, but I cant finish
building it. Here is the console dump:(by the way, I am using my lab
machine to download the whole files, and then transfer them to my own
machine, so the files should be complete.  since if my domain is
localhost, it seems I cant download the whole files.)
[yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$make
drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c: In function `balloon_read':
drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c:612: warning: ignoring return value of
`copy_to_user', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
 LD      drivers/xen/balloon/built-in.o
 CC      drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c: In function `blkif_queue_request':
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:109: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
failed in call to 'translate_req_to_pfn': function body not available
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:342: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
make[5]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.9-xenU'
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk'
make: *** [kernels] Error 2
[yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$

Any Suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Yi

* Re: xen2.0 building error
@ 2004-11-10  7:13 ` Niraj Tolia
From: Niraj Tolia @ 2004-11-10  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yi yang; +Cc: xen-devel

Are you using GCC 3.4? This patch from a previous email might help.
<http://zaynar.demon.co.uk/misc2/blkfront.patch>.

Niraj

--
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ntolia

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:44:00 -0500, yi yang <yangyiyy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the latest xen2.0 release, but I cant finish
> building it. Here is the console dump:(by the way, I am using my lab
> machine to download the whole files, and then transfer them to my own
> machine, so the files should be complete.  since if my domain is
> localhost, it seems I cant download the whole files.)
> [yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$make
> drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c: In function `balloon_read':
> drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c:612: warning: ignoring return value of
> `copy_to_user', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
>  LD      drivers/xen/balloon/built-in.o
>  CC      drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o
> drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c: In function `blkif_queue_request':
> drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:109: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
> failed in call to 'translate_req_to_pfn': function body not available
> drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:342: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
> make[5]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o] Error 1
> make[4]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront] Error 2
> make[3]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.9-xenU'
> make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk'
> make: *** [kernels] Error 2
> [yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Yi

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ntolia

* Re: xen2.0 building error
@ 2004-11-10 11:11 ` Steven Hand
From: Steven Hand @ 2004-11-10 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yi yang; +Cc: xen-devel, Steven.Hand

>I have downloaded the latest xen2.0 release, but I cant finish
>building it. Here is the console dump:(by the way, I am using my lab
>machine to download the whole files, and then transfer them to my own
>machine, so the files should be complete.  since if my domain is
>localhost, it seems I cant download the whole files.)
>[yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$make
>drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c: In function `balloon_read':
>drivers/xen/balloon/balloon.c:612: warning: ignoring return value of
>`copy_to_user', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> LD      drivers/xen/balloon/built-in.o
> CC      drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o
>drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c: In function `blkif_queue_request':
>drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:109: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
>failed in call to 'translate_req_to_pfn': function body not available
>drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:342: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
>make[5]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o] Error 1
>make[4]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront] Error 2
>make[3]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
>make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.9-xenU'
>make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yangyi/xen-2.0.bk'
>make: *** [kernels] Error 2
>[yangyi@localhost xen-2.0.bk]$
>
>Any Suggestions?

What's the platform you're building on? In particular, what version
of gcc are you using?

cheers,

S.

* Re: xen2.0 building error
@ 2004-11-10  8:40   ` Philip Taylor
From: Philip Taylor @ 2004-11-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yi yang; +Cc: xen-devel

yi yang wrote on 10/11/2004 08:18:
> Yes, I am using gcc3.4.2 since I am running on Fedora core 3.0,gcc
> 3.4.2 is the default compiler.  Could you give me more details about
> that  patch file. I compared  the blkfront.c  source file  with  the
> patch file, it did give me any sense.

If you are wanting to apply the patch to blkfront.c, run:

     patch path/to/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.9-xen-sparse/drivers/xen/blkfront.c
path/to/blkfront.patch

which should update blkfront.c and allow compilation to continue.

--
Philip Taylor
philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk

* Re: xen2.0 building error
@ 2004-11-10  8:18 ` yi yang
From: yi yang @ 2004-11-10  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Niraj Tolia, Ian Pratt

Hi,

@ 2004-11-10  7:24 Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2004-11-10  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yi yang, xen-devel

> drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c: In function `blkif_queue_request':
> drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:109: sorry, unimplemented:
> inlining failed in call to 'translate_req_to_pfn': function
> body not available

Sounds like you're building with gcc 3.4. This patch posted earlier
today sounds relevant:

http://zaynar.demon.co.uk/misc2/blkfront.patch

I'd be a little wary of building kernels using such a new compiler...

Ian

http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idU88&alloc_id\x12065&op=click