* Is this a good use for FUSE?
@ 2006-05-25  2:14 Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2006-05-25  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

I'm thinking of using fuse to build a test harness for  YAFFS and thought I'd
ask opinions before I went ahead.

YAFFS is pretty modular in that the OS-specific functions (VFS and mtd
interfacing) can be unplugged and replaced with other functions. This allows
the core "guts" to be built and tested in application space.

The pain with doing the testing in an application is that writing test code
etc takes a long time. I'd rather be able to do testing interactively from
bash etc, which leads to the idea of running YAFFS as a fuse application.

Any comments as to the sanity of this approach?

Can you do things like single step a fuse application without breaking the
kernel?

Thanx

-- CHarles

* Re: Is this a good use for FUSE?
@ 2006-05-29 12:10 ` Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2006-05-29 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manningc2; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

> I'm thinking of using fuse to build a test harness for YAFFS and
> thought I'd ask opinions before I went ahead.
>
> YAFFS is pretty modular in that the OS-specific functions (VFS and
> mtd interfacing) can be unplugged and replaced with other
> functions. This allows the core "guts" to be built and tested in
> application space.
>
> The pain with doing the testing in an application is that writing
> test code etc takes a long time. I'd rather be able to do testing
> interactively from bash etc, which leads to the idea of running
> YAFFS as a fuse application.
>
> Any comments as to the sanity of this approach?
>
> Can you do things like single step a fuse application without
> breaking the kernel?

Of course.

Another approach is to use UML, which gives a similar debugging
environment but without having to port your filesystem to userspace.

Miklos