* [ kvm-Bugs-2353811 ] Solaris 10 guest unstable
@ 2009-01-13 13:31 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-01-13 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #2353811, was opened at 2008-11-27 17:44
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by technologov
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2353811&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
After several minutes of normal work Solaris guest hangs for few seconds. Sometimes system hangs completely and kvm proccess must be killed. Besides this host CPU utilization ist much higher than could be expected from guest uasage.

Host:
2x Quad Core Opteron 8356
64GB RAM
OS: Gentoo 64bit
kernel: 2.6.26
KVM-79 (modules from package not from kernel)

Guest:
Solaris 10u5 started with command:
kvm -M pc -m 4096 -smp 2 -name despina -monitor pty -boot c -drive file=/dev/MDvg_SystemVM/despina,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/dev/MDvg_DataVM/despina30,if=ide,index=1 -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:5f:64:10,vlan=0,model=e1000 -net tap,fd=38,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet8 -serial pty -parallel none

Usind -no-acpi switch doesn't help.

On the same host I running several other guests systems including Win2003
Server sp2 32 and 64bit, WinXP sp2 32bit, Gentoo 64bit and Debian Lenny 32bit without problem
like this.

Date: 2009-01-13 15:31

Message:
I think your bug was fixed in KVM-81. Solaris-10 32-bit guest should now
work.

Can you try KVM-81 (or 82/83)?

If you need Solaris 10 64-bit guest support there is an extra patch
available.

-Alexey

Comment By: krwi (krwi)
Date: 2008-12-05 16:09

Message:
Switching to 32bit doesn't help :(

I performed some tests on Intel based machine (Core 2 Duo E8200) with the
same host OS and KVM version and Solaris works much more stable. No lags,
no CPU "overusage" even in 64bit mode. So it looks like problem is related
to AMD.

Comment By: krwi (krwi)
Date: 2008-12-03 14:25

Message:
Yes it's 64bit.

KVM was installed from Gentoo portage with following patches:
01_all_qemu-configure.patch
02_all_qemu-kvm-cmdline.patch
03_all_qemu-kvm.patch
04_all_libkvm-no-kernel.patch
05_all_qemu-ifup_ifdown.patch
07_all_kernel-longmode.patch
08_all_qemu-kvm-doc.patch
09_all_qemu-no-blobs.patch

I'll try with 32bit verision, thanks for suggestion.

Comment By: Technologov (technologov)
Date: 2008-12-02 15:46

Message:
>From my testing, Yes, 64-bit Solaris guest is problematic, and requires
patching for KVM to work, but Solaris 32-bit guest should work fine.

Can you tell us which Solaris you use ? (32 or 64-bit)

-Alexey

@ 2008-12-05 14:09 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2008-12-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #2353811, was opened at 2008-11-27 16:44
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by krwi

Date: 2008-12-02 14:46

Message:

@ 2008-12-03 12:25 SourceForge.net

Date: 2008-12-02 14:46