* [ kvm-Bugs-1872255 ] cygwin not working inside 64-bit guest
@ 2009-01-21 13:45 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-01-21 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #1872255, was opened at 2008-01-15 19:24
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by avik
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=1872255&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: libkvm
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I installed cygwin on Windows XP x64 inside kvm-59 and it crashes randomly. The easiest way to reproduce it is by simply starting and quitting a few bash shells:
-------------------------------
C:\cygwin\bin>Cygwin.bat

C:\cygwin\bin>bash
bash-3.2$ bash
bash-3.2$ bash
bash-3.2$ exit
exit
  10551 [main] bash 1488 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed, signal -34, rc -1, Win32 error 6
Segmentation fault
bash-3.2$ exit
exit
     87 [main] bash 1592 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed, signal -34, rc -1, Win32 error 6
Segmentation fault
bash-3.2$ exit
exit

C:\cygwin\bin>
-------------------------------
But it also happens with other programs so it seems to be something related to their weird fork implementation.

With kvm disabled (with kvm-56 as it won't boot anymore with 59), cygwin works fine.

Host is a Core 2 Duo with slackware 11 and kernel 2.6.21.1. Running with:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda wintest.img -smp 1 -localtime -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no -m 512

Date: 2009-01-21 15:45

Message:
Very strange.  The process dies accessing its thread control block (@
gs:[0x30]).   gs.base is zero rather than pointing at the TCB.  It also
appears that it is the guest that zeroes gs.base, not kvm.

Wierd, wierd.

Comment By: Olivier Paquet (euzeka)
Date: 2009-01-15 06:27

Message:
I have also tried nearly every single release in the past year and they all
had the bug, right up to kvm-83.

I just tried migrating my test VM to an AMD box and it does *not* have the
bug. So it would appear to be something in the kvm-intel module or specific
to using that module.

Comment By: Jamie Kirkpatrick (gringostarr)
Date: 2009-01-06 12:12

Message:
I have found the same problem in every version of KVM I have used including
the current KVM-81 release.  I've found that this is a known bug in not
only KVM, but also in Xen.  I posted about it here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/27003.

There are a couple of links of interest in that post that detail the issue
further.   There also seem to be two issues here: one which is noted above,
and another which causes a segfault if you use Cygwin bash's builtin test
call ( if [[ 1 ]] then ... fi ).  Doing this causes a segfault every time.

People who have investigated this bug further from Cygwin's side have
found that doing a block-by-block copy of the guest OS to a physical box
makes the problem go away and it was agreed that it was definitely down to
Xen in the posts I've read.  Clearly KVM suffers too.

Host:

Linux kvm-host 2.6.27-rc9-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Oct 10 11:07:08 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz

Command:

/usr/bin/kvm -name windows-dev -smp 4 -m 4096 -daemonize -vnc :1 -usb
-usbdevice tablet -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:00:00:1,model=e1000 -net
tap,ifname=tap1 -pidfile /var/run/kvm/windows-dev.pid -boot c -drive
index=0,media=disk,if=ide,file=/dev/kvm-host/windows-dev -drive
index=2,media=cdrom,if=ide,file=/home/jkp/NETKVM-20081229.iso -k en-us
-monitor telnet:127.0.0.1:4001,server,nowait

@ 2009-07-02 17:46 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-07-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #1872255, was opened at 2008-01-15 12:24
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by euzeka

Date: 2009-07-02 13:46

Message:
Forgot to close this, it was fixed in kvm-84.

Comment By: Matteo Frigo (matley)
Date: 2009-02-07 08:39

Message:
Like the other posters, I can reproduce the problem on kvm/core2 but not
on
kvm/amd.  I am using w2k3/x64.

It seems like kvm has trouble executing the instruction ``mov gs, ax''
(Intel syntax)
in _longjmp in cygwin1.dll.  I patched the cygwin1.dll binary replacing
this
instruction with a couple of nop's, and now cygwin works fine for me.

So it looks like this is the cause of the corruption of gs:[0x30] reported
by
Avi, but I don't know kvm well enough to understand where the real problem
lies.

Regards,
Matteo Frigo

Comment By: Avi Kivity (avik)

Date: 2009-01-06 05:12

Message:

@ 2009-02-07 13:39 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-02-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #1872255, was opened at 2008-01-15 12:24
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by matley

Date: 2009-01-06 05:12

Message:

@ 2009-01-15  4:27 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-01-15  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Date: 2009-01-06 05:12

Message:

@ 2009-01-06 10:12 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2009-01-06 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply

Bugs item #1872255, was opened at 2008-01-15 17:24
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by gringostarr

Date: 2009-01-06 10:12

Message:

@ 2008-01-15 17:24 SourceForge.net