* Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-02 11:03 nebil.benmabrouk
From: nebil.benmabrouk @ 2016-12-02 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hello,

I  am interested in embedding some specific data processing in the storage close to the data.
I read that, we can integrate some code (e.g., java classes) in Ceph, but I find no documentation about it.
Can you give some information or documents that help me to achieve this objective.

Best regards,
Nebil Ben Mabrouk

Thank you.

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-02 11:40 ` Joao Eduardo Luis
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2016-12-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

On 12/02/2016 11:03 AM, nebil.benmabrouk@orange.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I  am interested in embedding some specific data processing in the storage close to the data.
> I read that, we can integrate some code (e.g., java classes) in Ceph, but I find no documentation about it.

What you are looking is actually 'rados object classes' (or ceph
classes, according to the docs), and you may find a brief remark about
that here

  http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#extending-ceph

which contains pointers to the code you should look into.

Somehow it feels like there should be some more information about this
somewhere, but I can't really recall where.

   -Joao

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-02 11:49   ` Brad Hubbard
From: Brad Hubbard @ 2016-12-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joao Eduardo Luis; +Cc: nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Joao Eduardo Luis <joao@suse.de> wrote:
> On 12/02/2016 11:03 AM, nebil.benmabrouk@orange.com wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I  am interested in embedding some specific data processing in the storage
>> close to the data.
>> I read that, we can integrate some code (e.g., java classes) in Ceph, but
>> I find no documentation about it.
>

> What you are looking is actually 'rados object classes' (or ceph classes,
> according to the docs), and you may find a brief remark about that here
>
>  http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#extending-ceph
>
> which contains pointers to the code you should look into.
>
> Somehow it feels like there should be some more information about this
> somewhere, but I can't really recall where.

Hmmm... that needs updating. Any takers?

Look at the following.

src/objclass/objclass.h
src/test/fooclass.cc
src/test/barclass.cc

All the code below src/cls/, especially "hello".

>   -Joao

Cheers,
Brad

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-02 23:04     ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-02 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Hubbard; +Cc: Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 3:49 AM, Brad Hubbard <bhubbard@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Joao Eduardo Luis <joao@suse.de> wrote:
>> On 12/02/2016 11:03 AM, nebil.benmabrouk@orange.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I  am interested in embedding some specific data processing in the storage
>>> close to the data.
>>> I read that, we can integrate some code (e.g., java classes) in Ceph, but
>>> I find no documentation about it.
>>

>> What you are looking is actually 'rados object classes' (or ceph classes,
>> according to the docs), and you may find a brief remark about that here
>>
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#extending-ceph

Is anybody using real RADOS object classes on ceph clusters? Any of them on github?
I would like to look at some of the real world examples if it is there.
And more documentation of this feature would definitely help too.

Thanks,
Nitin

@ 2016-12-03  1:02       ` Brad Hubbard
From: Brad Hubbard @ 2016-12-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A; +Cc: Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Kamble, Nitin A <Nitin.Kamble@teradata.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 2, 2016, at 3:49 AM, Brad Hubbard <bhubbard@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> What you are looking is actually 'rados object classes' (or ceph classes,
>>> according to the docs), and you may find a brief remark about that here
>>>
>>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#extending-ceph
>>>

> Is anybody using real RADOS object classes on ceph clusters? Any of them on github?
> I would like to look at some of the real world examples if it is there.

Most of what's in src/cls/ are real world examples, although not third party
which I know is what you meant but I'll let others comment on those.

If you "ls /usr/lib64/rados-classes/libcls_*" (by default) you'll see the
classes being loaded by the ceph osds when they start.

> And more documentation of this feature would definitely help too.
>
> Thanks,
> Nitin
>
>>> which contains pointers to the code you should look into.
>>>
>>> Somehow it feels like there should be some more information about this
>>> somewhere, but I can't really recall where.
>>
>> Hmmm... that needs updating. Any takers?
>>
>> Look at the following.
>>
>> src/objclass/objclass.h
>> src/test/fooclass.cc
>> src/test/barclass.cc
>>
>> All the code below src/cls/, especially "hello".
>>

>>>  -Joao
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Brad
>> --

Cheers,
Brad

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-04 23:02       ` Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2016-12-04 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Kamble, Nitin A
<Nitin.Kamble@teradata.com> wrote:

> Is anybody using real RADOS object classes on ceph clusters? Any of them on github?
> I would like to look at some of the real world examples if it is there.
> And more documentation of this feature would definitely help too.

We use object classes [0] for a distributed shared log [1] on Ceph.

[0]: https://github.com/noahdesu/ceph/blob/zlog/jewel/src/cls/zlog/cls_zlog.cc
[1]: https://github.com/noahdesu/zlog

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-05 23:08         ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-05 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

> On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:02 PM, Noah Watkins <noahwatkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Kamble, Nitin A
> <Nitin.Kamble@teradata.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is anybody using real RADOS object classes on ceph clusters? Any of them on github?
>> I would like to look at some of the real world examples if it is there.
>> And more documentation of this feature would definitely help too.
>
> We use object classes [0] for a distributed shared log [1] on Ceph.
>
> [0]: https://github.com/noahdesu/ceph/blob/zlog/jewel/src/cls/zlog/cls_zlog.cc
> [1]: https://github.com/noahdesu/zlog

Thank you Noah & Brad for your pointers for sample Ceph classes.

Nitin

* Re: Computation in the storage
@ 2016-12-16 18:00           ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Hi Noah,

I looked at your blog [0] about implementing RADOS object classes using Lua scripts. The
link [1] to the source code in ceph repository is missing. Seems like this support has been
removed from upstream ceph, and it is not supported by the ceph releases as of now.
Can you confirm?

[0] http://noahdesu.github.io/2015/12/14/towards-rados-object-class-management.html
[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/cls-lua

Thanks,
Nitin

@ 2016-12-16 18:22             ` Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2016-12-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Nitin,

The links on the blog are out of date. Lua support has been merged.
See https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/src/cls/lua

- Noah

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Kamble, Nitin A

@ 2016-12-16 22:46             ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-16 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Hi Noah,
Is this the functionality [2] to use osd-local lua object classes in ceph upstream now?

If yes, which release it went in?

Thanks,
Nitin

[2] http://noahdesu.github.io/2015/12/06/load-lua-rados-plugin-from-fs.html

@ 2016-12-16 23:11               ` Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2016-12-16 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Lua object classes are supported in Kraken [0], which allows one to
send a Lua script to be run in the OSD locally [1]. The link you
referenced is to a feature that is not in Kraken which will load Lua
scripts from disk rather than requiring them to be attached to each
request (e.g. using Lua scripts in /usr/share/ceph etc...)

[0]: http://ceph.com/releases/kraken-11-0-2-released/
[1]: http://noahdesu.github.io/2014/01/22/dynamic-rados-object-interfaces.html

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Kamble, Nitin A

@ 2016-12-20  1:19               ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-20  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Hi Noah,

That’s great to know. Thanks for the prompt response.

Nitin

@ 2016-12-23 19:03               ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2016-12-23 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

Hi Noah,

That’s great to know. Thanks for the prompt response.

Nitin

> On Dec 16, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Noah Watkins <noahwatkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nitin,
>
> The links on the blog are out of date. Lua support has been merged.
> See https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/src/cls/lua
>
> - Noah
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Kamble, Nitin A
> <Nitin.Kamble@teradata.com> wrote:
>> Hi Noah,
>>
>> I looked at your blog [0] about implementing RADOS object classes using Lua scripts. The
>> link [1] to the source code in ceph repository is missing. Seems like this support has been
>> removed from upstream ceph, and it is not supported by the ceph releases as of now.
>> Can you confirm?
>>

>> [0] http://noahdesu.github.io/2015/12/14/towards-rados-object-class-management.html
>> [1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/cls-lua
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nitin

* RADOS Object class capabilities
@ 2017-01-09  2:52                 ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2017-01-09  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins
  Cc: Brad Hubbard, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, ceph-devel

So far I am impressed to find out what the RADOS object class can do.
Is it possible to override one of the RADOS basic functions or it’s behavior such as object
read/write for all/other clients, by implementing a RADOS object class?

It will be quiet powerful and dangerous if is supported.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin

* Re: RADOS Object class capabilities
@ 2017-01-09  8:58                   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-01-09  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A, Noah Watkins
  Cc: Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, Brad Hubbard, ceph-devel

> Op 9 januari 2017 om 3:52 schreef "Kamble, Nitin A" <Nitin.Kamble@Teradata.com>:
>

> So far I am impressed to find out what the RADOS object class can do.
> Is it possible to override one of the RADOS basic functions or it’s behavior such as object
> read/write for all/other clients, by implementing a RADOS object class?

Afaik not. Using rados_exec() you can execute functions from the object class, but a object class don't override existing RADOS functionality.

Wido

@ 2017-01-09 17:48                     ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2017-01-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander
  Cc: Noah Watkins, Joao Eduardo Luis, nebil.benmabrouk, Brad Hubbard,
	ceph-devel

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
>

>> Op 9 januari 2017 om 3:52 schreef "Kamble, Nitin A" <Nitin.Kamble@Teradata.com>:
>>

>> So far I am impressed to find out what the RADOS object class can do.
>> Is it possible to override one of the RADOS basic functions or it’s behavior such as object
>> read/write for all/other clients, by implementing a RADOS object class?
>>

> Afaik not. Using rados_exec() you can execute functions from the object class, but a object class don't override existing RADOS functionality.
>
> Wido

Thanks for the precise answer.

Regards,
Nitin