* [Buildroot] Webtool to analyze package build fail/pass from autobuild
@ 2016-10-11 11:44 Cupertino Miranda
From: Cupertino Miranda @ 2016-10-11 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello everyone,

I am part of the ARC GNU team at Synopsys.
More recently in order to analyze progress in buildroot package builds,
I created a web tool that recovers latest build information from
autobuild.buildroot.net and creates an internal database and web-tools
to access it.

This database/webtool is organize such that we can track progress of
which packages are failing or passing at any specific moment, and trace
this failures to a specific build where we can analyze any of the build
related logs.

Moreover, each day/week the tool generates a report sent to all the
team, where it clearly specifies which packages started failing or
passed during the period.

As this tools have been proven to be of great value to us, perhaps you
would feel the same.
The code is shared in:
https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/buildroot_stats

Looking forward for your feedback.

Best regards,
Cupertino

PS: I include some files with images of a report.

* [Buildroot] Webtool to analyze package build fail/pass from autobuild
@ 2016-10-19 13:04 ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2016-10-19 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 2016-10-11 at 11:44 +0000, Cupertino Miranda wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am part of the ARC GNU team at Synopsys.
> More recently in order to analyze progress in buildroot package builds,
> I created a web tool that recovers latest build information from
> autobuild.buildroot.net and creates an internal database and web-tools
> to access it.
>
> This database/webtool is organize such that we can track progress of
> which packages are failing or passing at any specific moment, and trace
> this failures to a specific build where we can analyze any of the build
> related logs.
>
> Moreover, each day/week the tool generates a report sent to all the
> team, where it clearly specifies which packages started failing or
> passed during the period.
>
> As this tools have been proven to be of great value to us, perhaps you
> would feel the same.
> The code is shared in:
> https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/buildroot_stats
>
> Looking forward for your feedback.?

I'm wondering if there's any interest in proposed thing from your side?

This tool works for us internally for quite some time now,
still I think others may benefit from it too.

We may indeed deploy it on some public server and encourage people
to start using that but I'm not sure if there's a point in adding
"3rd-party" services around?http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?instead
of enhancing autobuild server itself.

-Alexey

* [Buildroot] Webtool to analyze package build fail/pass from autobuild
@ 2016-10-19 13:10   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-10-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:04:04 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:

> > As this tools have been proven to be of great value to us, perhaps you
> > would feel the same.
> > The code is shared in:
> > https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/buildroot_stats
> >
> > Looking forward for your feedback.?
>
> I'm wondering if there's any interest in proposed thing from your side?

Yes, sorry for not replying earlier. Recent times have been busy with
ELCE and the Buildroot meeting. It definitely looks interesting, but I
want to take a closer look before giving some detailed feedback.

> We may indeed deploy it on some public server and encourage people
> to start using that but I'm not sure if there's a point in adding
> "3rd-party" services around?http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?instead
> of enhancing autobuild server itself.

Fully agreed.

Though one initial issue is that Cupertino wrote his logic in Ruby
(which I don't really read/write). The existing autobuild.buildroot.net
code base is some horrible PHP crap that I wrote. I'm hoping to rewrite
that crap someday, but definitely not in Ruby, but rather in Python,
which is more widely used in the Buildroot community than Ruby, and
also a language that I happen to read/write (even though my Python-fu
is really basic, it's good enough for this kind of stuff).

But I guess this is just an implementation detail, and we can work in
bringing Cupertino's logic in autobuild.buildroot.net somehow.

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Webtool to analyze package build fail/pass from autobuild
@ 2016-11-01 15:56     ` Cupertino Miranda
From: Cupertino Miranda @ 2016-11-01 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas and everyone,

I understand your concerns with Ruby.
However, please allow me to try to demystify it a little.

The problem with either Python or Ruby languages its not necessarily the
language itself, but the frameworks created around specific topics (like
web development) that make code seem magical.
This will not change if you decide to go a different path and
re-implement in Python, PHP, or any other language.
To efficiently be able to do this websites I did my own learning during
years in Ruby and some frameworks.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to contribute to this in other
language, as it would involve too much effort to learn other framework,
and as you know this is not my main topic. :-)
Please notice I am in no way a web developer, and I am sure there is
plenty of people capable to do a better job than myself.

Nevertheless, in my humble opinion, unless there is someone with greater
experience doing this kind of projects in Python, or any other language,
in the mailing list, I would not advise to delay improving this tools
because of a language limitation.

What I would like to propose would be to contribute a new web framework,
in parallel with the existing one.
This way nothing will be lost and you can always fall back to the
previous version.
Moreover, I already have managerial approval to offer myself as a
maintainer up until someone else fells comfortable with Ruby and its
frameworks and everything is stabilized.