* vhost user MTU and promisc mode
@ 2017-02-06  6:39 Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-02-06  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Coquelin; +Cc: mst, Liu, Yuanhan, dev

Hi Maxime,

Have seen that you submit a feature in QEMU, commit c5f048d8fb69 ("vhost-user: Add MTU protocol feature and op").

Appreciate your insights on:
(1) Do you have plan to enable it in DPDK vhost user?
(2) How about another similar feature, promisc mode enable/disable?

Thanks,
Jianfeng

* Re: vhost user MTU and promisc mode
@ 2017-02-06 10:19 ` Maxime Coquelin
From: Maxime Coquelin @ 2017-02-06 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng; +Cc: mst, Liu, Yuanhan, dev

Hi Jianfeng,

On 02/06/2017 07:39 AM, Tan, Jianfeng wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>

> Have seen that you submit a feature in QEMU, commit c5f048d8fb69
> (“vhost-user: Add MTU protocol feature and op”).
>

> Appreciate your insights on:
>
> (1) Do you have plan to enable it in DPDK vhost user?
Yes, I plan to propose this for v17.05 release.
For vhost-user backend, the op is to notify the backend with the MTU
value set in QEMU, so that it can ensure packets sent won't be bigger.

> (2) How about another similar feature, promisc mode enable/disable?
This is ont something we have considered yet.
Are you willing to work on it?

Thanks,
Maxime

@ 2017-02-07 16:27   ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-02-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Coquelin; +Cc: mst, Liu, Yuanhan, dev

Great to know that.

> > (2) How about another similar feature, promisc mode enable/disable?
> This is ont something we have considered yet.
> Are you willing to work on it?

Yes, we are considering it. But it should be firstly upsteamed into QEMU.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

@ 2017-02-07 16:32     ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2017-02-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng; +Cc: Maxime Coquelin, Liu, Yuanhan, dev

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 04:27:16PM +0000, Tan, Jianfeng wrote:

> [...]

You also need to copy virtio tc list if you will suggest
interface changes. TC is responsible for documenting it.

@ 2017-02-08  9:34       ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2017-02-08  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Maxime Coquelin, Liu, Yuanhan, dev

Thank you Michael for reminding! We will do that in a separated thread.

Thanks,
Jianfeng