* Bcache on SLES 12
@ 2016-03-09 18:03 Garnett, James
From: Garnett, James @ 2016-03-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache

Here is a description of a problem I found with setting up Bcache on SLES 12 and also the fix.

Bcache-tools Version: 0.1.g71-2.12
Linux Kernel Uname level: 3.12.51-52.39-default
SuSE-release: VERSION = 12 PATCHLEVEL = 0

Problem: After running make-bcache -B '/dev/sdx' example make-bcache -B /dev/sdb and running
'echo /dev/sdb > /sys/fs/bcache/register'. I received an invalid command error because /sys/fs/bcache/register does not exist.
I then ran the script '/lib/udev/bcache-register' which still did not create /sys/fs/bcache/register.

Fix: I ran YAST and added /Software/Add-On Products/SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12. After adding a group of libraries automatically installed.
Afterwards I reran '/lib/udev/bcache-register' which successfully created /sys/fs/bcache/register. Lastly I was able to follow the Getting Started section of the Bcache documentation located at evilpiepirate.
Upon reboot; /sys/fs/bcache/register still does not exist so I created a script that fixes the problem and mounts /dev/bcach0. See Below:

/lib/udev/bcache-register
echo /dev/sdb > /sys/fs/bcache/register
echo /dev/msdp_images/IMAGES > /sys/fs/bcache/register
mount /dev/bcache0 /msdp/images

James Garnett
Sr. Systems Architect
Health Alliance Plan of Michigan

* Re: Bcache on SLES 12
@ 2016-03-09 19:16 ` Christoph Nelles
From: Christoph Nelles @ 2016-03-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garnett, James, linux-bcache

Hi,

a modprobe bcache would have done the job as the kernel module is not
automatically loaded per default on SLES 12.

Regards

Christoph

Am 09.03.2016 um 19:03 schrieb Garnett, James:
> Here is a description of a problem I found with setting up Bcache on SLES 12 and also the fix.
>
> Bcache-tools Version: 0.1.g71-2.12
> Linux Kernel Uname level: 3.12.51-52.39-default
> SuSE-release: VERSION = 12 PATCHLEVEL = 0
>
> Problem: After running make-bcache -B '/dev/sdx' example make-bcache -B /dev/sdb and running
> 'echo /dev/sdb > /sys/fs/bcache/register'. I received an invalid command error because /sys/fs/bcache/register does not exist.
> I then ran the script '/lib/udev/bcache-register' which still did not create /sys/fs/bcache/register.
>
> Fix: I ran YAST and added /Software/Add-On Products/SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12. After adding a group of libraries automatically installed.
> Afterwards I reran '/lib/udev/bcache-register' which successfully created /sys/fs/bcache/register. Lastly I was able to follow the Getting Started section of the Bcache documentation located at evilpiepirate.
> Upon reboot; /sys/fs/bcache/register still does not exist so I created a script that fixes the problem and mounts /dev/bcach0. See Below:
>
> /lib/udev/bcache-register
> echo /dev/sdb > /sys/fs/bcache/register
> echo /dev/msdp_images/IMAGES > /sys/fs/bcache/register
> mount /dev/bcache0 /msdp/images
>

> James Garnett
> Sr. Systems Architect
> Health Alliance Plan of Michigan

Christoph Nelles

E-Mail    : evilazrael@evilazrael.de
Jabber    : eazrael@evilazrael.net      ICQ       : 78819723

PGP-Key   : ID 0x424FB55B on subkeys.pgp.net
             or http://evilazrael.net/pgp.txt

* RE: Bcache on SLES 12
@ 2016-03-09 19:29   ` Garnett, James
From: Garnett, James @ 2016-03-09 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Nelles, linux-bcache

Thanks for the reply, I did not find any documentation on Suse/Novell website to assist with the config, I'm sure they have other customers that would think that bcache does not work or is bugged.

Dependencies should be added to bcache_tools for SLES12 that will point to the specific Development Kit tools i.e. libraries that are needed.

As for me I'll stop the script I created, reboot; and then try modprobe bcache.

Thanks