* Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07  9:02 Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2012-08-07  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

I am trying to turn of CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG in the beaglebone BSP from
meta-ti. I am using the poky distro configuration and I have changed the
defconfig in
meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/beaglebone/defconfig
but it still builds with CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG enabled.

Do the meta-ti kernels support BSP config fragments like the yocto
kernels or is there a better way to do this?

Regards.

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack@embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 15:03 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-08-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ml; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Jack Mitchell <ml@communistcode.co.uk> wrote:
> I am trying to turn of CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG in the beaglebone BSP from meta-ti.
> I am using the poky distro configuration and I have changed the defconfig in
> meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/beaglebone/defconfig but it
> still builds with CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG enabled.
>
> Do the meta-ti kernels support BSP config fragments like the yocto kernels
> or is there a better way to do this?

dont think so. you can make the change in defconfig directly

@ 2012-08-07 15:30 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-08-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Mitchell; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02:24AM +0100, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> I am trying to turn of CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG in the beaglebone BSP from
> meta-ti. I am using the poky distro configuration and I have changed
> the defconfig in
> meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/beaglebone/defconfig
> but it still builds with CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG enabled.

That should be the correct location, please make sure you re-do the unpack
task - if you previously built the kernel with the old defconfig, it will be
stored in the work directory and won't be copied from the repository above,
until you repeat the do_unpack task, i.e. by clenaing the build.

> Do the meta-ti kernels support BSP config fragments like the yocto
> kernels or is there a better way to do this?

No, we are not yet supporting config fragments from linux-yocto, although it's
on my Todo list...

--
Denys

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 15:32   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

Op 7 aug. 2012, om 17:30 heeft Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02:24AM +0100, Jack Mitchell wrote:
>> I am trying to turn of CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG in the beaglebone BSP from
>> meta-ti. I am using the poky distro configuration and I have changed
>> the defconfig in
>> meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/beaglebone/defconfig
>> but it still builds with CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG enabled.
>
> That should be the correct location, please make sure you re-do the unpack
> task - if you previously built the kernel with the old defconfig, it will be
> stored in the work directory and won't be copied from the repository above,
> until you repeat the do_unpack task, i.e. by clenaing the build.

Or just increment PR as you're supposed to, it's an output change after all. No need to check anything if you do it properly :)

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 15:38     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-08-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 05:32:36PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 7 aug. 2012, om 17:30 heeft Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:02:24AM +0100, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> >> I am trying to turn of CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG in the beaglebone BSP from
> >> meta-ti. I am using the poky distro configuration and I have changed
> >> the defconfig in
> >> meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/beaglebone/defconfig
> >> but it still builds with CONFIG_SPI_DEBUG enabled.
> >
> > That should be the correct location, please make sure you re-do the unpack
> > task - if you previously built the kernel with the old defconfig, it will be
> > stored in the work directory and won't be copied from the repository above,
> > until you repeat the do_unpack task, i.e. by clenaing the build.

BTW, no need to clean the entire build, just the kernel build:

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean

> Or just increment PR as you're supposed to, it's an output change after all.
> No need to check anything if you do it properly :)

Well, but then you are staring to change the recipe, which might be overkill
for a simple defconfig change you want to test. If you go that route, you may
want to create your own custom layer with the modified defconfig overlayed on
top of meta-ti and a simple .bbappend with PRINC. That way your changes will
be detached from meta-ti and you won't need to merge the recipe changes every
time meta-ti updates... Although, there's no way to bbappend the defconfig
itself - that's where config fragments come to play.

--
Denys

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 15:41       ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2012-08-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

On 08/07/2012 11:38 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

>> Or just increment PR as you're supposed to, it's an output change after all.
>> No need to check anything if you do it properly :)

And if you are like me, it would take about 10 PR increments just to get
the change working properly. Then you would ask me what I changed in
those PR's :)

Philip

@ 2012-08-07 15:44       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-08-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 11:38 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 05:32:36PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> > > That should be the correct location, please make sure you re-do the unpack
> > > task - if you previously built the kernel with the old defconfig, it will be
> > > stored in the work directory and won't be copied from the repository above,
> > > until you repeat the do_unpack task, i.e. by clenaing the build.
>
> BTW, no need to clean the entire build, just the kernel build:
>
> $ bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean
>
> > Or just increment PR as you're supposed to, it's an output change after all.
> > No need to check anything if you do it properly :)
>
> Well, but then you are staring to change the recipe, which might be overkill
> for a simple defconfig change you want to test. If you go that route, you may
> want to create your own custom layer with the modified defconfig overlayed on
> top of meta-ti and a simple .bbappend with PRINC. That way your changes will
> be detached from meta-ti and you won't need to merge the recipe changes every
> time meta-ti updates... Although, there's no way to bbappend the defconfig
> itself - that's where config fragments come to play.

With the recent changes to OE-Core, you can edit the defconfig, the
system will notice the checksum change and automatically rerun the
unpack and subsequent steps automagically.

If the PR server is enabled, it will bump PR for you too.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 15:53         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-08-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 04:44:49PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 11:38 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 05:32:36PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > >
> > > Op 7 aug. 2012, om 17:30 heeft Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> het volgende geschreven:

> > BTW, no need to clean the entire build, just the kernel build:
> >
> > $ bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean
> >
> > > Or just increment PR as you're supposed to, it's an output change after all.
> > > No need to check anything if you do it properly :)
> >
> > Well, but then you are staring to change the recipe, which might be overkill
> > for a simple defconfig change you want to test. If you go that route, you may
> > want to create your own custom layer with the modified defconfig overlayed on
> > top of meta-ti and a simple .bbappend with PRINC. That way your changes will
> > be detached from meta-ti and you won't need to merge the recipe changes every
> > time meta-ti updates... Although, there's no way to bbappend the defconfig
> > itself - that's where config fragments come to play.
>
> With the recent changes to OE-Core, you can edit the defconfig, the
> system will notice the checksum change and automatically rerun the
> unpack and subsequent steps automagically.

Richard,

That is quite useful, thanks for the info!

> If the PR server is enabled, it will bump PR for you too.

That is something I haven't looked at yet, honestly - too much Classic-OE
baggage to carry... :)

--
Denys

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 16:36           ` Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2012-08-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 07/08/2012 16:53, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 04:44:49PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:

>>> BTW, no need to clean the entire build, just the kernel build:
>>>
>>> $ bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean

>>> Well, but then you are staring to change the recipe, which might be overkill
>>> for a simple defconfig change you want to test. If you go that route, you may
>>> want to create your own custom layer with the modified defconfig overlayed on
>>> top of meta-ti and a simple .bbappend with PRINC. That way your changes will
>>> be detached from meta-ti and you won't need to merge the recipe changes every
>>> time meta-ti updates... Although, there's no way to bbappend the defconfig
>>> itself - that's where config fragments come to play.
>>
>> With the recent changes to OE-Core, you can edit the defconfig, the
>> system will notice the checksum change and automatically rerun the
>> unpack and subsequent steps automagically.
>
> Richard,
>
> That is quite useful, thanks for the info!
>

>> If the PR server is enabled, it will bump PR for you too.
>
> That is something I haven't looked at yet, honestly - too much Classic-OE
> baggage to carry... :)

Well, this thread took off when I turned my back!

Thanks for all the advice and different solutions - I found what my
issue was and it is that the BeagleBone was booting using the kernel on
the rootfs rather than the kernel in the fat partition as I believed. So
I was only replacing the FAT partition uImage and not re-building and
copying the whole rootfs.

Next step is indeed to have an overlay so I can customize the kernel
config a bit more, along with a patch or two I have in there.

Cheers,
Jack

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-07 17:41             ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-07 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ml; +Cc: meta-ti

Op 7 aug. 2012, om 18:36 heeft Jack Mitchell <ml@communistcode.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:

> On 07/08/2012 16:53, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

>>> With the recent changes to OE-Core, you can edit the defconfig, the
>>> system will notice the checksum change and automatically rerun the
>>> unpack and subsequent steps automagically.
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> That is quite useful, thanks for the info!
>>

>>> If the PR server is enabled, it will bump PR for you too.
>>
>> That is something I haven't looked at yet, honestly - too much Classic-OE
>> baggage to carry... :)
>>

> Well, this thread took off when I turned my back!
>
> Thanks for all the advice and different solutions - I found what my issue was and it is that the BeagleBone was booting using the kernel on the rootfs rather than the kernel in the fat partition as I believed. So I was only replacing the FAT partition uImage and not re-building and copying the whole rootfs.
>
> Next step is indeed to have an overlay so I can customize the kernel config a bit more, along with a patch or two I have in there.

Please post the patches, they might be generally usefull. I don't know why spi debug is on, I'm not opposed to turning it off :)

* Re: Turning off kernel config option
@ 2012-08-08  8:51               ` Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2012-08-08  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 07/08/12 18:41, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 7 aug. 2012, om 18:36 heeft Jack Mitchell <ml@communistcode.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:

>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> That is quite useful, thanks for the info!

>>> That is something I haven't looked at yet, honestly - too much Classic-OE
>>> baggage to carry... :)
>>>

>> Well, this thread took off when I turned my back!
>>
>> Thanks for all the advice and different solutions - I found what my issue was and it is that the BeagleBone was booting using the kernel on the rootfs rather than the kernel in the fat partition as I believed. So I was only replacing the FAT partition uImage and not re-building and copying the whole rootfs.
>>
>> Next step is indeed to have an overlay so I can customize the kernel config a bit more, along with a patch or two I have in there.
>
> Please post the patches, they might be generally usefull. I don't know why spi debug is on, I'm not opposed to turning it off :)

Someone beat me to it, I'm not running the latest master so it seems I'm
a bit out of sync with the world.