* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-25 16:08 Cao, Gang
From: Cao, Gang @ 2017-09-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Here nvme-cli (with SPDK support) and SPDK NVMe-oF initiator will both run at the user mode state. We have previously verified that SPDK NVMe-oF initiator can run on kernel 3.10 with some required steps. And use the SPDK perf tool to connect the remote SPDK NVMe-oF target and do the IOs.

Below are the major steps at that time we verified on the OS 3.10 (and for 3.18, please check for the similar steps):

Please keep us updated whether this works for you. Thanks. Gang

Steps to run SPDK nvmf target/host using CentOS7.2 and 3.10 kernel

The 3.10 kernel can’t run SPDK nvmf target/host since the lack of dependent driver and library.
So we need to install Mellanox official driver to get the latest driver and library.
Steps to install latest Mellanox driver
The web site to download the Mellanox official driver:
http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=26&mtag=linux_sw_drivers
Choose the version which support RHEL/CentOS 7.2. The latest version may not support RHEL/CentOS 7.2.
Download the ISO file since it contains a script which can do installation job.

Mount the ISO file to a directory.
Get into the directory. Run mlnxofedinstall scripts. Follow the steps to install it.
To make the driver work, it is better to reboot the machine.

Run nvmf target in target machine
Clone latest spdk codes from github into the target machines.
Run “git submodule update --init” command to get the DPDK codes.
Run following command in SPDK directory.
[localhost]./configure --with-rdma
[localshot]make

Run SPDK nvmf host in host machine  <<<<<< Here you can use the SPDK supported nvme-cli to connect

Clone latest spdk codes from github into the target machines.
Run “git submodule update --init” command to get the DPDK codes.
Run following command in SPDK directory.
[localhost]./configure --with-rdma
[localshot]make
Assign IP to the Mellanox NIC port. The IP should can ping the SPDK nvmf target’s IP.
Run the following command:
[localhost]NRHUGE=8192 /path/to/spdk/scripts/setup.sh

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please
see examples/nvme/perf as an example.

It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9
only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).

This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18
kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this
configured on 3.18 kernel ?

If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks

-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 10250 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22 15:45 Cao, Gang

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please see examples/nvme/perf as an example.
It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9 only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).
This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18 kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this configured on 3.18 kernel ?
If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks
-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 11702 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22 10:12 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2017-09-22 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I did not try this scenario but you could use NBD test app (check test/lib/bdev/nbd/nbd) to connect any SPDK bdev to /dev/nbdX system device and use this as block device.

1.       You need one machine as target (this I belive you have now).

2.       Prepare config file with NVMe bdev see http://www.spdk.io/doc/bdev.html NVMe

3.       modprobe nbd  nbds_max=16

4.       Run SPDK nbd app - see http://www.spdk.io/doc/bdev.html  “GPT (GUID Partition Table)” for example how to run this app.

Now you should have /dev/nbdX (X is the number of NBD device you created). Use this device to partition or whatever you like.

Pawel

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please see examples/nvme/perf as an example.
It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9 only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).
This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18 kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this configured on 3.18 kernel ?
If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks
-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 15025 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22  9:18 Kirubakaran Kaliannan

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please
see examples/nvme/perf as an example.

It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9
only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).

This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18
kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this
configured on 3.18 kernel ?

If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks

-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 6844 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22  9:12 Kirubakaran Kaliannan

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please
see examples/nvme/perf as an example.

It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9
only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).

This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18
kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this
configured on 3.18 kernel ?

If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks

-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 5481 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22  5:11 Liu, Changpeng
From: Liu, Changpeng @ 2017-09-22  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Kiru,

Yes, actually SPDK nvme library already support NVM-oF initiator, please see examples/nvme/perf as an example.
It can connect local PCI NVMe or remote NVM-oF target.

We are evaluating the spdk-target with NVMf initiator (installing linux 4.9 only on the initator but 3.18 on the target).
This is good so for, and we do have customers don’t want to upgrade 3.18 kernel even on the initiator side.

So, Similarly do we have SPDK initiator (at user land) so I can have this configured on 3.18 kernel ?
If we have one, any pointer to the documentation will help ?

Thanks
-kiru

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 42054 bytes --]

* [SPDK] spdk user mode initiator
@ 2017-09-22  4:57 Kirubakaran Kaliannan
From: Kirubakaran Kaliannan @ 2017-09-22  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk