* Netpoll client software?
@ 2006-11-14 19:38 Williams, Mitch A
From: Williams, Mitch A @ 2006-11-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi folks, I'm looking for some suggestions for software that uses
the kernel's netpoll interface to receive packets.  The only in-kernel
application that uses netpoll right now is netconsole, and that only
sends packets.

Used to be, netdump would use the netpoll interface for both transmit
and receive, but netdump is gone now, and won't even compile on any
recent kernel.

I've made some changes to e1000's netpoll code to support some Top
Secret Upcoming Hardware, and I would like to be able to validate
my changes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mitch

* Re: Netpoll client software?
@ 2006-11-14 22:42 ` Bill Rugolsky Jr.
From: Bill Rugolsky Jr. @ 2006-11-14 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Williams, Mitch A; +Cc: netdev

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 11:38:58AM -0800, Williams, Mitch A wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking for some suggestions for software that uses
> the kernel's netpoll interface to receive packets.  The only in-kernel
> application that uses netpoll right now is netconsole, and that only
> sends packets.
>
> Used to be, netdump would use the netpoll interface for both transmit
> and receive, but netdump is gone now, and won't even compile on any
> recent kernel.
>
> I've made some changes to e1000's netpoll code to support some Top
> Secret Upcoming Hardware, and I would like to be able to validate
> my changes.
>
> Any suggestions?

kgdboe - kgdb over ethernet.

There are various patch versions floating around, one of which was in
Andrew Morton's -mm kernels.

Regards,

	Bill rugolsky

* Re: Netpoll client software?
@ 2006-11-15  6:27 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2006-11-15  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Williams, Mitch A; +Cc: netdev

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 20:38, Williams, Mitch A wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking for some suggestions for software that uses
> the kernel's netpoll interface to receive packets.  The only in-kernel
> application that uses netpoll right now is netconsole, and that only
> sends packets.

There are kgdb version that support debugging over ethernet. That requires
sending and receiving. Not sure if it works right now with the version in
-mm* though.

-Andi