* Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-11 19:08 Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-10-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALSA development

Hi all,

	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:

1) tinycompress
   - do the release this library, too ?
   - versioning - follow the rule for all other ALSA packages
     (all packages have same version) ?

2) user-space versioning - change the numbering scheme ?

	Basically, there aren't major rewrites of API last years and it won't
probably happen quickly. Some APIs might be redesigned - simplified
(mostly the mixer stuff), but I would propose to go from 1.0.x to 1.x
numbering (starting with 1.1) and when a major rewrite of API will be
included, we may change the first (major) version number. The release
frequency is not high, so it won't hurt anything in my eyes. Comments,
objections ? This discussion may end with 1.1 release instead 1.0.30.

				Thanks,
					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-12  8:24 ` Takashi Iwai
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-10-12  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Vinod Koul

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:

There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?

We've discussed a bit about the user-space package release in the
meeting.  Most people prefer more regular release.  My own preference
is to stick with the kernel release cycle -- as most of features are
related with the update of kernel ABI.  It's not necessarily at every
kernel but, e.g. with two kernel releases, so that we'll get two or
three releases per year.  It's just my $0.02, not insisting on it,
though.

> 1) tinycompress
>    - do the release this library, too ?

Yeah, this was requested in the meething, too.

>    - versioning - follow the rule for all other ALSA packages
>      (all packages have same version) ?

Vinod?

> 2) user-space versioning - change the numbering scheme ?
>
> 	Basically, there aren't major rewrites of API last years and it won't
> probably happen quickly. Some APIs might be redesigned - simplified
> (mostly the mixer stuff), but I would propose to go from 1.0.x to 1.x
> numbering (starting with 1.1) and when a major rewrite of API will be
> included, we may change the first (major) version number. The release
> frequency is not high, so it won't hurt anything in my eyes. Comments,
> objections ? This discussion may end with 1.1 release instead 1.0.30.

Honestly speaking, not many people do care about the version number
nowadays as long as it increases :)  But yes, I find your proposal
good.  A minor update between regular release may still get a version
number like 1.3.1, instead of the current 1.0.28a.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-12  8:56   ` Koul, Vinod
From: Koul, Vinod @ 2015-10-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tiwai, perex; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, alsa-devel

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 10:24 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:
>
> There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
> still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
> documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
> soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?
>
> We've discussed a bit about the user-space package release in the
> meeting.  Most people prefer more regular release.  My own preference
> is to stick with the kernel release cycle -- as most of features are
> related with the update of kernel ABI.  It's not necessarily at every
> kernel but, e.g. with two kernel releases, so that we'll get two or
> three releases per year.  It's just my $0.02, not insisting on it,
> though.
>

> > 1) tinycompress
> >    - do the release this library, too ?
>
> Yeah, this was requested in the meething, too.

Thanks that will be great..

> >    - versioning - follow the rule for all other ALSA packages
> >      (all packages have same version) ?
>
> Vinod?

Sure, so you guys want me to bump up the version to 1.0.30. I don't think that should
be an issue to align?

Also Takashi was mentioning tar balls, do you need me to generate these and upload ?

--
~Vinod

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-12  9:23   ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2015-10-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Vinod Koul, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Lu, Han

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 10:24 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:
>
> There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
> still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
> documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
> soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?

Han is now back from vacation today and is fixing all review comments
(including doing a man page). I'll be involved with grammar checking the
man page too as I'm the only native English speaker in the team.

Mengdong is back tomorrow and I think has a couple of topology patches
for the parser (to support the new ABI objects).

I think we can probably get both completed by Friday.

Thanks

Liam

@ 2015-10-12  9:51     ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-10-12  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koul, Vinod, tiwai; +Cc: liam.r.girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, alsa-devel

Dne 12.10.2015 v 10:56 Koul, Vinod napsal(a):
> On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 10:24 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
>> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:
>>
>> There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
>> still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
>> documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
>> soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?
>>
>> We've discussed a bit about the user-space package release in the
>> meeting.  Most people prefer more regular release.  My own preference
>> is to stick with the kernel release cycle -- as most of features are
>> related with the update of kernel ABI.  It's not necessarily at every
>> kernel but, e.g. with two kernel releases, so that we'll get two or
>> three releases per year.  It's just my $0.02, not insisting on it,
>> though.
>>

>>> 1) tinycompress
>>>    - do the release this library, too ?
>>
>> Yeah, this was requested in the meething, too.
>
> Thanks that will be great..
>

>>>    - versioning - follow the rule for all other ALSA packages
>>>      (all packages have same version) ?
>>
>> Vinod?
>
> Sure, so you guys want me to bump up the version to 1.0.30. I don't think that should
> be an issue to align?

Ok, fine. I just asked.

> Also Takashi was mentioning tar balls, do you need me to generate these and upload ?

I'll generate them using my tools on the server. I also prepare the
runtime snapshots - http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/ , so you may
test the tarbar before it's versioned. I'll post a note when finished.

					Jaroslav

--

@ 2015-10-27 15:16   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-10-27 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Vinod Koul

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:24:19 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:
>
> There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
> still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
> documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
> soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?

It seems that still topology stuff updates are missing in alsa-lib
side.  Liam, Mengdong, what's the status?  Jaroslav seems lifting up
the stuff now, starting tagging v1.1.0.

Unless it's stabilized, we should disable the topology stuff in
configure level for alsa-* 1.1.0, IMO.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-27 15:27     ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2015-10-27 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Vinod Koul, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 16:16 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:24:19 +0200,
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:08:01 +0200,
> > Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > 	I would like to release 1.0.30 version of all packages. Things to discuss:
> >
> > There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
> > still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
> > documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
> > soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?

BAT (stage1) is now upstream including documentation. Caleb and Han are
working on new BAT features and these should be part of the 1.0.31 alsa
package release.

> It seems that still topology stuff updates are missing in alsa-lib
> side.  Liam, Mengdong, what's the status?  Jaroslav seems lifting up
> the stuff now, starting tagging v1.1.0.
>
> Unless it's stabilized, we should disable the topology stuff in
> configure level for alsa-* 1.1.0, IMO.

I think Mengdong is testing/polishing the final topology patches atm.
Mengdong, are we good to start upstreaming soon ?

Liam

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-27 16:01       ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-10-27 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Vinod Koul, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development

Dne 27.10.2015 v 16:27 Liam Girdwood napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 16:16 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:24:19 +0200,
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this seems
>>> still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.  Also, the
>>> documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect we'll get this
>>> soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?
>>

> BAT (stage1) is now upstream including documentation. Caleb and Han are
> working on new BAT features and these should be part of the 1.0.31 alsa
> package release.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the man page is there. I'm just curious - what
features will be added? BTW: 1.0.31 should be 1,1.1 - no more 1.0.x
releases.
				Jaroslav

--

@ 2015-10-27 16:40         ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2015-10-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela, Lu, Han, Caleb Crome
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Vinod Koul

+ Han and Caleb

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 17:01 +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Dne 27.10.2015 v 16:27 Liam Girdwood napsal(a):
> > On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 16:16 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > BAT (stage1) is now upstream including documentation. Caleb and Han are
> > working on new BAT features and these should be part of the 1.0.31 alsa
> > package release.
>
> Thanks for the info. Yes, the man page is there. I'm just curious - what
> features will be added? BTW: 1.0.31 should be 1,1.1 - no more 1.0.x
> releases.
> 				Jaroslav

I think Han will be adding support for Android and some automation
scripting, whilst Caleb is adding more audio feature tests.

Liam

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-28 15:06       ` Lin, Mengdong
From: Lin, Mengdong @ 2015-10-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 16:16 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:24:19 +0200,
> > Takashi Iwai wrote:

> discuss:
> > >
> > > There are pending issues: one is about the topology ABI and this
> > > seems still in flux.  I suppose this will be stabilized in 4.4.
> > > Also, the documentation for BAT is utterly missing, and I expect
> > > we'll get this soonish.  Liam, Mengdong, any comments on these?
> >

> BAT (stage1) is now upstream including documentation. Caleb and Han are
> working on new BAT features and these should be part of the 1.0.31 alsa
> package release.
>
> > It seems that still topology stuff updates are missing in alsa-lib
> > side.  Liam, Mengdong, what's the status?  Jaroslav seems lifting up
> > the stuff now, starting tagging v1.1.0.
> >
> > Unless it's stabilized, we should disable the topology stuff in
> > configure level for alsa-* 1.1.0, IMO.
> >

> I think Mengdong is testing/polishing the final topology patches atm.
> Mengdong, are we good to start upstreaming soon ?
>
> Liam

Hi Liam and Takashi,

For topology, most features for DAI & DAI links have been verified.
I'll finish verifying the remaining ops binding features in this week.
Then I'll ask Vinod to double check we can meet request for SKL/BXT

Some of the kernel patches will be submitted by end if this week.
I expect the other kernel and user space patches will be submitted next week after the internal review.

Thanks
Mengdong

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-10-29  1:23         ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2015-10-29  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai, ALSA development, Lin, Mengdong

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 05:01:42PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> [...]

On a side note, I checked the tinycompress tar balls, things look good to
me.
Thanks for adding this :)

--
~Vinod

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-11-04 14:29         ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-11-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lin, Mengdong, Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Koul, Vinod, ALSA development

Dne 28.10.2015 v 16:06 Lin, Mengdong napsal(a):

> I expect the other kernel and user space patches will be submitted next week after the internal review.

Any progress for the user space? If I don't receive the updates for the
user space packages until Friday CEST morning, I'll release 1.1.0
without them. We can release 1.1.1 quickly when all things are finished
for the topology code. The distributions can adapt to new tools (like
alsatplg) in 1.1.0 and then just receive the updated code (1.1.1).

			Thanks,
				Jaroslav

BTW: Everyone probably found testing packages on FTP - /pub/testing or
through the snapshot page.

--

@ 2015-11-04 16:17           ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2015-11-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Koul, Vinod

On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 15:29 +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Dne 28.10.2015 v 16:06 Lin, Mengdong napsal(a):
>
> > I expect the other kernel and user space patches will be submitted next week after the internal review.
>
> Any progress for the user space? If I don't receive the updates for the
> user space packages until Friday CEST morning, I'll release 1.1.0
> without them. We can release 1.1.1 quickly when all things are finished
> for the topology code. The distributions can adapt to new tools (like
> alsatplg) in 1.1.0 and then just receive the updated code (1.1.1).

It's all going through internal review and testing now. Mengdong can
probably post to the list tomorrow if all is OK, otherwise we can go for
1.1.1.

Thanks

Liam

@ 2015-11-05  3:08             ` Lin, Mengdong
From: Lin, Mengdong @ 2015-11-05  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela
> On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 15:29 +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > Dne 28.10.2015 v 16:06 Lin, Mengdong napsal(a):
> >
> > > I expect the other kernel and user space patches will be submitted next week
> after the internal review.
> >
> > Any progress for the user space? If I don't receive the updates for
> > the user space packages until Friday CEST morning, I'll release 1.1.0
> > without them. We can release 1.1.1 quickly when all things are
> > finished for the topology code. The distributions can adapt to new
> > tools (like
> > alsatplg) in 1.1.0 and then just receive the updated code (1.1.1).
> >

> It's all going through internal review and testing now. Mengdong can probably
> post to the list tomorrow if all is OK, otherwise we can go for 1.1.1.

I think it's better to go for 1.1.1. The internal review is just ongoing.

Thanks
Mengdong

@ 2015-11-05 13:04               ` Mengdong Lin
From: Mengdong Lin @ 2015-11-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lin, Mengdong, Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Koul, Vinod, ALSA development

On 11/05/2015 11:08 AM, Lin, Mengdong wrote:
> [...]

I've sent out the alsa-lib patches for topology ABI update. Please
review.The thread name is "topology: Align ABI with kernel to version 4".

All ABI updates have been merged in sound kernel except this one:
topology: ABI - Rename dai_elems to pcm_elems in manifest
This patch is still in ASoC kernel, topic/topology branch.

Thanks
Mengdong

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-11-05 13:07               ` Mengdong Lin
From: Mengdong Lin @ 2015-11-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lin, Mengdong, Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Koul, Vinod, ALSA development

On 11/05/2015 11:08 AM, Lin, Mengdong wrote:

I've sent out the alsa-lib patches for topology ABI update after the
internal review. The thread name is "topology: Align ABI with kernel to
version 4". Please help to review and evaluate if it's ok for this 1.1.0
release.

@ 2015-11-05 13:12                 ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-11-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mengdong Lin, Lin, Mengdong, Liam Girdwood
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Koul, Vinod, ALSA development

Dne 5.11.2015 v 14:04 Mengdong Lin napsal(a):
> On 11/05/2015 11:08 AM, Lin, Mengdong wrote:

I did a quick review and I've no issue with it.

Takashi, any comments to include these patches ?

Lin, do we need a change to the topology utility in alsa-utils ?

				Thanks,
					Jaroslav

--

@ 2015-11-05 13:18                   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-11-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Mengdong Lin,
	Koul, Vinod

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:12:45 +0100,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> [...]

I'm fine with them.  Maybe we need to fix the doxygen errors later,
but it's no urgent issue.

BTW, I have 4 pending patches for alsa-lib but haven't committed yet
since v1.1.0 was committed and I didn't want to rebase.  One dmix fix
and three fixes from Mike for non-glibc and other build cleanups.
They are no urgent issues, either, so we can postpone them.  But if
you'd like to merge them beforehand, let me know.  I'll push them
out.

Takashi

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-11-05 13:33                     ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2015-11-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Mengdong Lin,
	Koul, Vinod

Dne 5.11.2015 v 14:18 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):

> BTW, I have 4 pending patches for alsa-lib but haven't committed yet
> since v1.1.0 was committed and I didn't want to rebase.  One dmix fix
> and three fixes from Mike for non-glibc and other build cleanups.
> They are no urgent issues, either, so we can postpone them.  But if
> you'd like to merge them beforehand, let me know.  I'll push them
> out.

I removed the v1.1.0 tag and associated commit. Please, push them now.

				Thanks,
					Jaroslav

--

@ 2015-11-05 13:38                       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-11-05 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Lin, Mengdong, ALSA development, Mengdong Lin,
	Koul, Vinod

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:33:56 +0100,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Dne 5.11.2015 v 14:18 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):
>
> > BTW, I have 4 pending patches for alsa-lib but haven't committed yet
> > since v1.1.0 was committed and I didn't want to rebase.  One dmix fix
> > and three fixes from Mike for non-glibc and other build cleanups.
> > They are no urgent issues, either, so we can postpone them.  But if
> > you'd like to merge them beforehand, let me know.  I'll push them
> > out.
>
> I removed the v1.1.0 tag and associated commit. Please, push them now.

Thanks, done.

Takashi

* Re: Packages 1.0.30 - release pending
@ 2015-11-05 14:43                   ` Lin, Mengdong
From: Lin, Mengdong @ 2015-11-05 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela, Mengdong Lin, Liam Girdwood

No. There is no need to change the topology utility in alsa-utils.

Thanks for your and Takashi's review!

Regards
Mengdong