* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
@ 2023-02-08  7:44 Chris Knadle
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: Chris Knadle @ 2023-02-08  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Greetings.

I want to give anyone working on the 1.4.0.a1 mlmmj candidate my thanks, it's
good to see that this work is going on, and I'm looking forward to packaging it
and other pieces for it for Debian when it's in a semi-stable/usable state.

I'm personally interested in an mlmmj-archiver web indexing program, because
I've had difficulties with other mailing list archivers. Lurker works but seemed
relatively inflexible, and Mhonarc required a fair bit of configuration and I
never did figure out its configuration language. Debian mailing lists are
archived in Mhonarc but I don't currently have access to the configuration used
for those.

Re: using the mlmmj name, my only thought is perhaps a minor addition to the
name to distinguish the fork, such as mlmmj-ng (next-generation) or mlmmj2. It's
not a requirement, it's just mentioning what I typically see other projects do.
I think the idea is to cover the possibility of upstream picking up their old
project again and/or avoiding old/new naming clashes. If the old/same name is
stuck with I don't have any objection.

Just in case I don't check the mailing list often enough: when you think the
program is in a buildable/usable enough state for being packaged and uploaded to
Debian, please ping me via email.

Thanks
    -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

Baptiste Daroussin:
> Hello everyone,

> are very happy with it.
>
> Since that date I have been working on modernizing mlmmj codebase, integrate our
> patches etc. While the work is clearly not done, I think it is advanced enough
> for it to be shared.

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
@ 2023-02-08  9:03 ` Baptiste Daroussin
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Baptiste Daroussin @ 2023-02-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

(resend, to reply using a mail subscribed to the mailing list :D)

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 07:44:00AM +0000, Chris Knadle wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I want to give anyone working on the 1.4.0.a1 mlmmj candidate my thanks,
> it's good to see that this work is going on, and I'm looking forward to
> packaging it and other pieces for it for Debian when it's in a
> semi-stable/usable state.

Alpha 2 is out (not announced as I am working on alpha3 already) will release
when the testsuite will be covering enough of the functionnality to be safe.

> I'm personally interested in an mlmmj-archiver web indexing program, because
> I've had difficulties with other mailing list archivers. Lurker works but
> seemed relatively inflexible, and Mhonarc required a fair bit of
> configuration and I never did figure out its configuration language. Debian
> mailing lists are archived in Mhonarc but I don't currently have access to
> the configuration used for those.

I wrote https://fossil.nours.eu/mlmmj-archiver/doc/trunk/README.md this is used
to generate the FreeBSD archives as you can view here:
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives

It is probably code is probably portable, and the build system is freebsd
specific for now, but should not be hard to adapt else where (requires bmake)

I am happy to turn it into a portable software and also move it elsewhere
(codeberg?) if people dislike fossil :D.

It is written in C, fully sandboxed (under freebsd), faster to process large
archives than arlternatives I tried to use. fully themable via clearsilver (yeah
I know old school but it works.

It only depends on sqlite and clearsilver.

> Re: using the mlmmj name, my only thought is perhaps a minor addition to the
> name to distinguish the fork, such as mlmmj-ng (next-generation) or mlmmj2.
> It's not a requirement, it's just mentioning what I typically see other
> projects do. I think the idea is to cover the possibility of upstream
> picking up their old project again and/or avoiding old/new naming clashes.
> If the old/same name is stuck with I don't have any objection.

Well the author of the original project is happy to see it as a continuation of
the project, so let's stick with the same name :D.

> Just in case I don't check the mailing list often enough: when you think the
> program is in a buildable/usable enough state for being packaged and
> uploaded to Debian, please ping me via email.

The rc phases will probably be the best moment for packaging.

Best regards,
Bapt

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
@ 2023-02-08  9:18 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2023-02-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Would be a good idea if it's a fork, but it's not. It's mlmmj.

> On 8 Feb 2023, at 08.44, Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:
>
> Re: using the mlmmj name, my only thought is perhaps a minor addition to the name to distinguish the fork, such as mlmmj-ng (next-generation) or mlmmj2. It's not a requirement, it's just mentioning what I typically see other projects do. I think the idea is to cover the possibility of upstream picking up their old project again and/or avoiding old/new naming clashes. If the old/same name is stuck with I don't have any objection.

--
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
@ 2023-02-08  9:22 ` Zhang Huangbin
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Zhang Huangbin @ 2023-02-08  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> On Feb 8, 2023, at 5:18 PM, Mads Martin Jørgensen <mmj@mmj.dk> wrote:
>
> Would be a good idea if it's a fork, but it's not. It's mlmmj.

Will it become the "official" mlmmj project instead of fork?

Official Mercurial repo raises "500 Internal Server Error" right now: http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj
And no development in years.

----
Zhang Huangbin, founder of:
- iRedMail: Open source email server solution: https://www.iredmail.org/
- Spider: Lightweight, on-premises Email Archiving Software: https://spiderd.io

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-08 10:01 ` Baptiste Daroussin
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Baptiste Daroussin @ 2023-02-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:22:48PM +0800, Zhang Huangbin wrote:

> > On Feb 8, 2023, at 5:18 PM, Mads Martin Jørgensen <mmj@mmj.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Would be a good idea if it's a fork, but it's not. It's mlmmj.
>
> Will it become the "official" mlmmj project instead of fork?
>
> Official Mercurial repo raises "500 Internal Server Error" right now: http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj
> And no development in years.

I don't have access to the website, but I think it will be fair to point the
website at https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj for the development repository.

Best regards,
Bapt

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-08 10:04 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2023-02-08 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

I think Christian (Cc:) can help with the DNS, IIRC?

--
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-08 11:03 ` Franky Van Liedekerke
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Franky Van Liedekerke @ 2023-02-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

For those interested: I updated the php interface to work with 8.* ,
and added small extra functionality:
- edit the text files
- see the log
- use 2 extra configs to limit the people who can access the php admin
itf and/or who can manage the subscribers

I also did my interpretation of an archiver, simple but it works (on
linux) using mhonarc and php (control file 'webarchive' to activate
archiving per list), and 'webarchiveprotected' to limit who can access
the archive. A small demo: https://lists.belnet.be/archive/

Franky

                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-08 11:20 ` Baptiste Daroussin
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Baptiste Daroussin @ 2023-02-08 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Can you open a merge request so I can merge it in the repo?

Bapt

                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-08 22:00 ` Christian Stærk
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Stærk @ 2023-02-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Yes, it seems I am still the one holding the DNS.

If it makes sense, I would like someone else to take over DNS as I am
not currently using mlmmj myself. However, for now I can make the
desired changes.

The zone currently looks like this:

Best regards
Christian

On 2/8/23 11:04, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
> I think Christian (Cc:) can help with the DNS, IIRC?

>>> Will it become the "official" mlmmj project instead of fork?
>>>
>>> Official Mercurial repo raises "500 Internal Server Error" right now:http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj
>>> And no development in years.
>>>
>> I don't have access to the website, but I think it will be fair to point the
>> website athttps://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj  for the development repository.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt
> --
> "Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
> totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

[-- Attachment #2.2: Screenshot_2023-02-08_22-57-59.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 40741 bytes --]

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-11 19:15 ` Wolf Bergenheim
From: Wolf Bergenheim @ 2023-02-11 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

I'm hosting the server currently (a Linode VM). I took a look and indeed it
seems like the mercurial web stuff is broken and built in python2 🙈 I'm
going to have to learn how to set it up for python3.. It's going to take a
day or two. Sorry for not catching it earlier... If anyone knows how to set
up HgWebDir and wants to help, I can give access to the server (all I need
is an SSH public key)

@Christian I'm happy to take over the DNS though, and maintain it, in fact
I thought we had already set it up. Let me check the process and get back
to you on that.

--Wolf

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 00:21, Christian Stærk <xi@borderworlds.dk> wrote:

> Yes, it seems I am still the one holding the DNS.
>
> If it makes sense, I would like someone else to take over DNS as I am not
> currently using mlmmj myself. However, for now I can make the desired
> changes.
>
> The zone currently looks like this:
>

> Best regards
> Christian
>
> On 2/8/23 11:04, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
>
> I think Christian (Cc:) can help with the DNS, IIRC?
>

> On 8 Feb 2023, at 11.01, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@nours.eu> <bapt@nours.eu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:22:48PM +0800, Zhang Huangbin wrote:
>
> On Feb 8, 2023, at 5:18 PM, Mads Martin Jørgensen <mmj@mmj.dk> <mmj@mmj.dk> wrote:
>
> Would be a good idea if it's a fork, but it's not. It's mlmmj.
>
> Will it become the "official" mlmmj project instead of fork?
>
> Official Mercurial repo raises "500 Internal Server Error" right now: http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj
> And no development in years.
>

> I don't have access to the website, but I think it will be fair to point the
> website at https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj for the development repository.
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt
>
> --
> "Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
> totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2023-02-08_22-57-59.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 40741 bytes --]

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-11 20:15 ` Wolf Bergenheim
From: Wolf Bergenheim @ 2023-02-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Looks like it was easier than I thought. The mlmmj mercurial server is up
and running again. If you want to commit that is going to need to be done
through SSH.

--Wolf

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 at 21:15, Wolf Bergenheim <wolf+mlmmj@bergenheim.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hosting the server currently (a Linode VM). I took a look and indeed
> it seems like the mercurial web stuff is broken and built in python2 🙈 I'm
> going to have to learn how to set it up for python3.. It's going to take a
> day or two. Sorry for not catching it earlier... If anyone knows how to set
> up HgWebDir and wants to help, I can give access to the server (all I need
> is an SSH public key)
>
> @Christian I'm happy to take over the DNS though, and maintain it, in fact
> I thought we had already set it up. Let me check the process and get back
> to you on that.
>
> --Wolf
>
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 00:21, Christian Stærk <xi@borderworlds.dk> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it seems I am still the one holding the DNS.
>>
>> If it makes sense, I would like someone else to take over DNS as I am not
>> currently using mlmmj myself. However, for now I can make the desired
>> changes.
>>
>> The zone currently looks like this:
>>

>> Best regards
>> Christian
>>
>> On 2/8/23 11:04, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
>>
>> I think Christian (Cc:) can help with the DNS, IIRC?
>>

>> On 8 Feb 2023, at 11.01, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@nours.eu> <bapt@nours.eu> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:22:48PM +0800, Zhang Huangbin wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2023, at 5:18 PM, Mads Martin Jørgensen <mmj@mmj.dk> <mmj@mmj.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Would be a good idea if it's a fork, but it's not. It's mlmmj.
>>
>> Will it become the "official" mlmmj project instead of fork?
>>
>> Official Mercurial repo raises "500 Internal Server Error" right now: http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj
>> And no development in years.
>>

>> I don't have access to the website, but I think it will be fair to point the
>> website at https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj for the development repository.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt
>>
>> --
>> "Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
>> totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2023-02-08_22-57-59.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 40741 bytes --]

* Re: [mlmmj] Candidate for an 1.4.0.a1, glad for the work
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-02-17 16:00 ` Franky Van Liedekerke
From: Franky Van Liedekerke @ 2023-02-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj