* Setting up interfaces in loopback mode using SIOCETHTOOL
@ 2015-06-16 10:52 Ashutosh Tripathi
From: Ashutosh Tripathi @ 2015-06-16 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi All,

In spite of several days of trying to get information out of ethtool
source code, I could not get a way to set the loopback mode for
network interfaces. I was also referring to the driver code for ixgbe
devices to get more info on the support it provides to ethtool. In the
driver code, there seems to be a way to set the loopback mode. But I
had no idea how to refer to this code from user space.

The SIOCETHTOOL is pretty general purpose. There is a way to test the
interface in loopback mode via the command line interface. But I just
wanted to set the interface in loopback mode so that I could send
packets on the interface myself and stress the interface.

Please help me with any suggestion in this regard.

Thanks,
----
Ashutosh

* RE: Setting up interfaces in loopback mode using SIOCETHTOOL
@ 2015-06-16 15:08 ` Skidmore, Donald C
From: Skidmore, Donald C @ 2015-06-16 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashutosh Tripathi, netdev

Hey Ashutosh,

Currently ixgbe only uses MAC loopback via the ethtool self_test, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.  I don't know of an ethtool interface to tell an adapter to go into loopback mode, but this might just be because the driver I currently work on (ixgbe) doesn't support it. :)

Thanks,
-Don Skidmore <donald.c.skidmore@intel.com>