* what does struct snd_ac97_build_ops do? suspect i need a new one for the via1618 to get Surround to work
@ 2007-01-19 23:49 John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-01-19 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello;

I have an MSI CN700T ITX motherboard with a VIA 8237 SouthBridge and a
VIA 1618 codec.

Using aplay and speakertest, 2 channel sound works well, but 6ch sound
with the ever popular chan-id.wav* produces no output.

However, neither aplay nor speakertest *fail* when attempting to write
to the other channels so they evidently exist, but may be muted.

I went to the trouble of installing windows and the VIA Vinyl driver for
same and after I used the via configuration app to set the mic and line
inputs to be C/LFE and Rr outs, I received the expected output.

Is 1618 6ch expected to work with ALSA 1.0.13?

based on looking at ac97_codec.c: static const struct ac97_codec_id
snd_ac97_codec_ids ,
 it seems to be stubbed out instead of fully implemented:

{ 0x56494182, 0xffffffff, "VIA1618", NULL, NULL },

My suspicion is that I need to create the following items (hx3rd from
the vt1616 versions):

static const struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ac97_controls_vt1618

static int patch_vt1618_specific(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)

static struct snd_ac97_build_ops patch_vt1618_ops

int patch_vt1618(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)

Am I correct in my assumptions? If so, what do these 2 arrays and 2
functions actually do?

Tnx!

johnu

* will that unknown woman become the alsa surround standard the same way
that 'lena' is the image processing standard?* :-) -
http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mayi/imgproc/thdemo.html

* Re: what does struct snd_ac97_build_ops do? suspect i need a new one for the via1618 to get Surround to work
@ 2007-01-22 14:04 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-01-22 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Utz; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:49:24 -0800,
John Utz wrote:

> Hello;
>
> I have an MSI CN700T ITX motherboard with a VIA 8237 SouthBridge and a VIA 1618 codec.
>
> Using aplay and speakertest, 2 channel sound works well, but 6ch sound with the ever
> popular chan-id.wav* produces no output.
>
> However, neither aplay nor speakertest *fail* when attempting to write to the other
> channels so they evidently exist, but may be muted.
>
> I went to the trouble of installing windows and the VIA Vinyl driver for same and
> after I used the via configuration app to set the mic and line inputs to be C/LFE and
> Rr outs, I received the expected output.
>
> Is 1618 6ch expected to work with ALSA 1.0.13?

... only if the codec chip works without extra adjustment.
(In other words: most likely it doesn't work as it is.)

> based on looking at ac97_codec.c: static const struct ac97_codec_id snd_ac97_codec_ids
> ,
>
>  it seems to be stubbed out instead of fully implemented:
>
> { 0x56494182, 0xffffffff, "VIA1618", NULL, NULL },
>
> My suspicion is that I need to create the following items (hx3rd from the vt1616
> versions):
>
> static const struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ac97_controls_vt1618
>
> static int patch_vt1618_specific(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)
>
> static struct snd_ac97_build_ops patch_vt1618_ops
>
> int patch_vt1618(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)
>
> Am I correct in my assumptions? If so, what do these 2 arrays and 2 functions actually
> do?

They set up codec-specific things and create codec-specific controls.

Honestly, I cannot tell any exact thing unless I get a datasheet of
this codec chip.  VT1616 and 1617 have totally different configs,
AFAIK...

Takashi

* Re: what does struct snd_ac97_build_ops do? suspect i need a new one for the via1618 to get Surround to work
@ 2007-01-22 16:50   ` John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-01-22 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Thankyou for your thoughtful response!

>> Is 1618 6ch expected to work with ALSA 1.0.13?
>
>... only if the codec chip works without extra adjustment.
>(In other words: most likely it doesn't work as it is.)

Ok, that's what I thought and I have proceeded accordingly.

>> based on looking at ac97_codec.c: static const struct ac97_codec_id
>>snd_ac97_codec_ids
>> ,
>>
>>  it seems to be stubbed out instead of fully implemented:
>>
>> { 0x56494182, 0xffffffff, "VIA1618", NULL, NULL },
>>
>> My suspicion is that I need to create the following items (hx3rd from
>> the vt1616 versions):
>>
>> static const struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ac97_controls_vt1618
>>
>> static int patch_vt1618_specific(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)
>>
>> static struct snd_ac97_build_ops patch_vt1618_ops
>>
>> int patch_vt1618(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)
>>
>> Am I correct in my assumptions? If so, what do these 2 arrays and 2
>> functions actually do?
>
> They set up codec-specific things and create codec-specific controls.

Ok, that's what I thought, so that's what I will create based on the via
docs.

> Honestly, I cannot tell any exact thing unless I get a datasheet of
> this codec chip.  VT1616 and 1617 have totally different configs,
> AFAIK...

That's very understandable, I appreciate hearing your thoughts! As soon
as I have something that is close to working (or I get stuck :-) ) I
will touch base with the list again.