* iproute2 not function on CAN FD
@ 2017-02-20  1:12 ` Wenyou.Yang at microchip.com
From: Wenyou.Yang @ 2017-02-20  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: socketcan, mkl, wg; +Cc: linux-can, linux-arm-kernel

Hello,

I am testing the CAN FD of M_CAN on the SAMA5D2 Xplained board,
when using the ip tool from iprounte2 suite to set the CAN interface,
it doesn't work with the message "RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported".
--->8----
# ip link set can0 type can bitrate 125000 dbitrate 8000000 fd on
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
---8<---

The version of iproute2 suite: 4.5.0 (iproute2-4.5.0)
--->8----
# ip -V
ip utility, iproute2-ss160314
---8<----

The kernel version: 4.9.0

I have looked on google to try to find a solution, it seems that my kernel configuration is missing something,
http://superuser.com/questions/232807/iproute2-not-functioning-rtnetlink-answers-operation-not-supported

According to the document, I enabled the below options based on arch/arm/configs/sama5_defconfig, it still doesn't work.

--->8----
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y

CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_LOG=y
CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK=y
CONFIG_NF_CT_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_MARK=y
CONFIG_NET_SCHED=y
CONFIG_NET_SCH_INGRESS=y
CONFIG_NET_CLS_ACT=y

CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS=y
---8<----

Any help would be really appreciated.

Best Regards,
Wenyou Yang

* iproute2 not function on CAN FD
@ 2017-02-20  1:12 ` Wenyou.Yang at microchip.com
From: Wenyou.Yang at microchip.com @ 2017-02-20  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

[...]

* Re: iproute2 not function on CAN FD
@ 2017-02-20  7:56   ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2017-02-20  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wenyou.Yang, mkl, wg; +Cc: linux-can, linux-arm-kernel

On 02/20/2017 02:12 AM, Wenyou.Yang@microchip.com wrote:

> I am testing the CAN FD of M_CAN on the SAMA5D2 Xplained board,
> when using the ip tool from iprounte2 suite to set the CAN interface,
> it doesn't work with the message "RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported".
> --->8----
> # ip link set can0 type can bitrate 125000 dbitrate 8000000 fd on
> RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

Please try:

# ip link set can0 type can bitrate 125000 dbitrate 8000000 fd on
fd-non-iso on

The driver for the M_CAN IP core 3.0.x in the mainline kernel supports a
NON_ISO IP core.

This non-iso setting is fixed with this v3.0.x M_CAN and we decided to
make this configuration explicit - as all other options run into a mess.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit?id=bb208f144cf3f59d8f89a09a80efd04389718907

Did that help?

Regards,
Oliver