* kvm ppc timing stats
@ 2010-12-01 20:20 Yoder Stuart-B08248
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Yoder Stuart-B08248 @ 2010-12-01 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

Hollis,

Am looking at some performance data and want to make sure that
I'm understanding things correctly with your CONFIG_KVM_EXIT_TIMING
stuff.   If I reset the timing counters, run a workload
under for a fixed duration (e.g. 30 seconds), and then look
at the exit stats, I should see 30 seconds worth of time accounted
for, correct?

Right now I'm seeing a substantial amount of time "missing" and
want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Stuart

* Re: kvm ppc timing stats
@ 2010-12-01 20:21 ` Alexander Graf
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-12-01 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

On 01.12.2010, at 21:20, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:

> Hollis,
>
> Am looking at some performance data and want to make sure that
> I'm understanding things correctly with your CONFIG_KVM_EXIT_TIMING
> stuff.   If I reset the timing counters, run a workload
> under for a fixed duration (e.g. 30 seconds), and then look
> at the exit stats, I should see 30 seconds worth of time accounted
> for, correct?
>
> Right now I'm seeing a substantial amount of time "missing" and
> want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Christian?

Alex

* Re: kvm ppc timing stats
@ 2010-12-02  0:27 ` Hollis Blanchard
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2010-12-02  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

Yes, your understanding is correct (barring any bugs, of course). Why do
you think "time is missing"?

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division

On 12/01/2010 12:02 PM, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:

> Hollis,
>
> Am looking at some performance data and want to make sure that
>
> I'm understanding things correctly with your CONFIG_KVM_EXIT_TIMING
>
> stuff.   If I reset the timing counters, run a workload
>
> under for a fixed duration (e.g. 30 seconds), and then look
>
> at the exit stats, I should see 30 seconds worth of time accounted
>
> for, correct?
>
> Right now I'm seeing a substantial amount of time "missing" and
>
> want to make sure I'm not missing something.
>
> Stuart

* RE: kvm ppc timing stats
@ 2010-12-02  4:18 ` Yoder Stuart-B08248
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Yoder Stuart-B08248 @ 2010-12-02  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

Well, in the example I'm looking at, which runs for 30
seconds, the "sum" column of the stats adds up to
about 10 seconds total.   So, there is 20 seconds
unaccounted for.

Interestingly enough, if I let the guest just sit
idle for 30 seconds, the stats do sum up to about
30 seconds.

Will get to the bottom of it, but wanted to make
sure I was not missing something obvious.

Stuart

* Re: kvm ppc timing stats
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-02 18:38 ` Hollis Blanchard
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2010-12-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

I don't think the numbers added up like that for us either. We treated
them as relative data, not absolute.

I don't remember how early/late the timestamps were recorded, but
obviously they cannot cover 100% of the handler. As the number of exits
increases, those unaccounted-for instructions would add up... but I
wouldn't expect that to cause errors of the magnitude you're seeing.
Perhaps there is a more obvious problem with the way certain exit types
are recorded (or not recorded).

On 12/01/2010 08:18 PM, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:
> Well, in the example I'm looking at, which runs for 30
> seconds, the "sum" column of the stats adds up to
> about 10 seconds total.   So, there is 20 seconds
> unaccounted for.
>
> Interestingly enough, if I let the guest just sit
> idle for 30 seconds, the stats do sum up to about
> 30 seconds.
>
> Will get to the bottom of it, but wanted to make
> sure I was not missing something obvious.
>
> Stuart

* RE: kvm ppc timing stats
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-07 22:32 ` Yoder Stuart-B08248
From: Yoder Stuart-B08248 @ 2010-12-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

I figure out what is going on here.   The timing stats convert
exit durations into microseconds.   The problem is that any
exits that take less than 1us will wind up having a duration
of 0.  After to changing to count timebase ticks instead, the
numbers add up.

By the way-- there aren't any instructions accounted for,
even though they don't cover 100% of the handler-- any
instructions that run before reading the timestamp will
get accounted to the guest.

Stuart

* Re: kvm ppc timing stats
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-08  0:52 ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2010-12-08  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-ppc

Ah right, makes sense. I guess you'll send a patch soon. :)

On 12/07/2010 02:32 PM, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:
> I figure out what is going on here.   The timing stats convert
> exit durations into microseconds.   The problem is that any
> exits that take less than 1us will wind up having a duration
> of 0.  After to changing to count timebase ticks instead, the
> numbers add up.
>
> By the way-- there aren't any instructions accounted for,
> even though they don't cover 100% of the handler-- any
> instructions that run before reading the timestamp will
> get accounted to the guest.
>
> Stuart

* RE: kvm ppc timing stats
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)