* Re: [SPDK] SPDK nvmeof target/initiator
@ 2017-05-03  4:22 Liu, Changpeng
From: Liu, Changpeng @ 2017-05-03  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

“for connected target devices”, do you mean NVMeoF initiator device uses the verbs API that go through the kernel ? If so, yes, this will go through kernel.

I don’t know whether someone  tried Rocksdb on NVMeF device or not.

From: Ramaraj Pandian @ 2017-05-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Thanks Ben, this really helps me to move on to next item and thanks for posting the conference presentations as well.

From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2017-05-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 02:38 +0000, Ramaraj Pandian wrote:
> I don’t think so but want to ask that Can connected target devices be treated
> as local nvme for spdk to work as initiator? Is there any near term plan to
> support SPDK host initiator?

SPDK already contains an NVMe-oF initiator and it happens to be the same library
as the NVMe driver. You can connect to a remote device by simply specifying a
different transport id to spdk_nvme_probe. Since later in this email chain you
talk about RocksDB, I'll use that as an example.

The SPDK backend for RocksDB uses a configuration file that by default is at
/usr/local/etc/spdk/rocksdb.conf. If you followed along with the instructions to
set it up for a local device, at the end of the file you'll see a section like
this:

[Nvme]
  TransportID "trtype:PCIe traddr:0000:02:00.0" Nvme0

That's saying to use the PCI device at the given address as the backing storage.
If you instead want to connect to a remote device using NVMe-oF, simply change
the configuration file to this (ignore word wrap from my email client):

[Nvme]
  TransportID "trtype:RDMA traddr:<ip address> trsvcid:<port> adrfam:IPv4
subnqn:<nqn of target>" Nvme0

For this to work, you'll need to have compiled SPDK with RDMA support. You can
do that by adding CONFIG_RDMA=y to the command line when you type make.

Full disclosure: I've never tested the RocksDB code using a remote device. It
should work, but I've never tried it.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3274 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] SPDK nvmeof target/initiator
@ 2017-05-03  2:59 Ramaraj Pandian

SPDK has already NVMeoF initiator, you can see the examples/nvme/perf.c, it can support both local NVMe device and remote NVMeoF target.

I don’t think so but want to ask that Can connected target devices be treated as local nvme for spdk to work as initiator? Is there any near term plan to support SPDK host initiator?

I appreciate your response.

On side note: when can we get spdk conference presentations?

Thanks
Ram

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 7172 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] SPDK nvmeof target/initiator
@ 2017-05-03  2:46 Liu, Changpeng
From: Liu, Changpeng @ 2017-05-03  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Ram,

SPDK has already NVMeoF initiator, you can see the examples/nvme/perf.c, it can support both local NVMe device and remote NVMeoF target.

I don’t think so but want to ask that Can connected target devices be treated as local nvme for spdk to work as initiator? Is there any near term plan to support SPDK host initiator?

I appreciate your response.

On side note: when can we get spdk conference presentations?

Thanks
Ram

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 42025 bytes --]

* [SPDK] SPDK nvmeof target/initiator
@ 2017-05-03  2:38 Ramaraj Pandian
From: Ramaraj Pandian @ 2017-05-03  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk