* Compile/build problem in Red Hat 9.0
@ 2003-10-14 23:53 Richard Herbert Wanner
From: Richard Herbert Wanner @ 2003-10-14 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

I am trying to build the SE-Linux 2.4 kernel on Red Hat 9.0.  The make does not generate any obvious errors, (but there are .o files missing, and when we try to compile dummy.c by hand, it fails), but the make module_install fails.

Here is the tail end of the console for the make module_install (sorry, I didn't capture the make console)

make[2]: Entering  directory '/tmp/linux-2.4/drivers/net'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.21-selinux2/kernel/drivers/net/
cp dummy.o /lib/modules/2.4.21-selinux2/kernel/drivers/net/
cp: cannot stat 'dummy.o': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [_modinst_] Error 1

Anybody have any idea what I can do to resolve this?

Richard (Rick) Wanner B.Sc. GCFW

Consultant

Security Engineering & Evaluation Group

InfoSec Centre of Expertise (COE)

CGI Information Systems & Management Consultants Inc.

Ottawa, Canada

http://www.infosec.cgi.com/

Email: richard.wanner@cgi.com

Tel:    (613) 234-2155

Cell:    (613) 220-2045

Fax:    (613) 234-6934

* Re: Compile/build problem in Red Hat 9.0
@ 2003-10-15  0:37 ` Kerry Thompson
From: Kerry Thompson @ 2003-10-15  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Herbert Wanner; +Cc: selinux

Looks like the net drivers haven't been built, or not built properly - its
just the kernel, not an SELinux specific problem. Go back and 'make
menuconfig' - making sure the appropriate net modules are enabled. Then
run the usual:

make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make install
make modules_install

Checking that each completes successfully.

Kerry

--
Kerry Thompson, CCNA CISSP
Information Systems Security Consultant

@ 2003-10-15  0:54   ` Richard Herbert Wanner
From: Richard Herbert Wanner @ 2003-10-15  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Looks like the net drivers haven't been built, or not built properly - its
> just the kernel, not an SELinux specific problem. Go back and 'make
> menuconfig' - making sure the appropriate net modules are enabled. Then
> run the usual:
>
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make install
> make modules_install
>
> Checking that each completes successfully.

Thanks.  These steps are quite a bit different from the ones in the docs in the usr package. Did I miss something?
The 2.6 docs and the 2.4 docs look the same, am I using the wrong ones?

The docs in the usr package in the 2.4 bundle say.

	cd linux-2.4
	make menuconfig
	make
	make modules_install
	make install

Thanks again.

Rick

* RE: Compile/build problem in Red Hat 9.0
@ 2003-10-15 17:58     ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2003-10-15 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Herbert Wanner; +Cc: selinux, Kerry Thompson

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 20:54, Richard Herbert Wanner wrote:
> Thanks.  These steps are quite a bit different from the ones in the docs in the usr package. Did I miss something?
> The 2.6 docs and the 2.4 docs look the same, am I using the wrong ones?
>
> The docs in the usr package in the 2.4 bundle say.
>
> 	cd linux-2.4
> 	make menuconfig
> 	make
> 	make modules_install
> 	make install

Sorry, the 2.4 and 2.6 SELinux share the same userland archive,
including build instructions, but the instructions currently only
describe what to do for 2.6.  The kernel build process has changed for
2.6, hence the difference.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency