* build a toolchain compiler with ARM hard-float support
@ 2016-09-29  9:10 Karim ATIKI
From: Karim ATIKI @ 2016-09-29  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm using Poky Jethro to build on Toradex Colibri-T20 (armv7).

I want to build my own SDK Installer to have  a toolchain and a sysroot.

Currently, I realied that the toolchain installer files do not provide an arm-poky-linux-gnuabi compiler with hard-float support.

For example, while compiling my project:

/opt/poky/2.0.1/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:10:29: fatal error: gnu/stubs-hard.h: No such file or directory

Therefore:

 How to be sure that the compiler generated by "bitbake -c populate_sdk" will support hard-float ? Is there a configuration file ?

Karim

* Re: build a toolchain compiler with ARM hard-float support
@ 2016-09-29 10:31 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2016-09-29 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karim ATIKI, yocto

On Thu, 2016-09-29 at 09:10 +0000, Karim ATIKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Poky Jethro to build on Toradex Colibri-T20 (armv7).
>
> I want to build my own SDK Installer to have  a toolchain and a
> sysroot.
>
> Currently, I realied that the toolchain installer files do not
> provide an arm-poky-linux-gnuabi compiler with hard-float support.
> For example, while compiling my project:
>
> /opt/poky/2.0.1/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-
> gnueabi/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:10:29: fatal error: gnu/stubs-hard.h:
> No such file or directory
>
> Therefore:
>
>  How to be sure that the compiler generated by "bitbake -c
> populate_sdk" will support hard-float ? Is there a configuration file
> ?

You need to choose a MACHINE which uses hard-float.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: build a toolchain compiler with ARM hard-float support
@ 2016-09-29 13:17   ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2016-09-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, Karim ATIKI, yocto

On 9/29/16 5:31 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-09-29 at 09:10 +0000, Karim ATIKI wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Poky Jethro to build on Toradex Colibri-T20 (armv7).
>>
>> I want to build my own SDK Installer to have  a toolchain and a
>> sysroot.
>>
>> Currently, I realied that the toolchain installer files do not
>> provide an arm-poky-linux-gnuabi compiler with hard-float support.
>> For example, while compiling my project:
>>
>> /opt/poky/2.0.1/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-
>> gnueabi/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:10:29: fatal error: gnu/stubs-hard.h:
>> No such file or directory
>>
>> Therefore:
>>
>>  How to be sure that the compiler generated by "bitbake -c
>> populate_sdk" will support hard-float ? Is there a configuration file
>> ?
>
> You need to choose a MACHINE which uses hard-float.

The machine configuration file should be setting the 'DEFAULTTUNE' variable to
an appropriate ISA and ABI (hard float) for your configuration.  If it is not,
you may have to create your own variant and change the DEFAULTTUNE setting --
assuming the board supports the necessary hard float components.  (And yes,
there are some armv7a variants that people removed the VFP instructions from --
even though it's theoretically against spec.)

--Mark

@ 2016-09-29 14:04     ` Karim ATIKI
From: Karim ATIKI @ 2016-09-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, Richard Purdie, yocto

Thanks for your feeback.

I've attempted to generate the sdk (populate_sdk) having only MACHINE=colibri-t20 in the local.conf.

Fortunately, the generated installer has all the necessary features with hard-float support.

Karim

________________________________

@ 2016-10-03 18:23     ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2016-10-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 08:17:47AM -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> The machine configuration file should be setting the 'DEFAULTTUNE' variable to
> an appropriate ISA and ABI (hard float) for your configuration.  If it is not,
> you may have to create your own variant and change the DEFAULTTUNE setting --
> assuming the board supports the necessary hard float components.  (And yes,
> there are some armv7a variants that people removed the VFP instructions from --
> even though it's theoretically against spec.)

ARM says the Cortex-A5 and A9 are both optional VFP, so I don't think
it is against the spec in any way.

--
Len Sorensen