* [U-Boot] mx7: ums command does not mount SD card partitions
@ 2016-08-19 16:46 Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-08-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Peng/Ye Li,

We are trying the 'ums' command on a mx7d sabresd board running the
latest U-Boot code from u-boot-imx tree:

=> ums 0 mmc 0

This should make the content of the SD card to be mounted on the host
PC and the two SD card partition should pop up in the screen.

We do see the two partitions icons to appear on the host, but the two
SD card partitions are not mounted automatically.

We see this behavior on a mx7d sabresd and also mx7s warp boards.

In other mx6 boards the partitions are correctly mounted.

We also tested the following command in the kernel on a mx7d sabresd:

modprobe g_mass_storage file=/dev/mmcblk0

and the SD card partitions are always automatically mounted.

Any ideas as to why U-boot ums do not mount the SD card partitions
automatically?

Thanks,

Fabio Estevam

* [U-Boot] mx7: ums command does not mount SD card partitions
@ 2016-08-25  6:25 ` Ye Li
From: Ye Li @ 2016-08-25  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Fabio,

   I just tried 'ums' on mx7d sabresd with latest u-boot-imx codes. It works well on my board. I don't see your issue. My SD card has a FAT partition. I can access it from my host after running the "ums 0 mmc 0".

Best regards,

@ 2016-08-25 12:18   ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-08-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Ye Li,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Ye Li <ye.li@nxp.com> wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
>    I just tried 'ums' on mx7d sabresd with latest u-boot-imx codes. It works well on my board. I don't see your issue. My SD card has a FAT partition. I can access it from my host after running the "ums 0 mmc 0".

Thanks for trying it on your side.

Could you please try "ums 0 mmc 0" several times in a row?

I notice that sometimes the partitions mount automatically, sometimes not.

Thanks

* [U-Boot] mx7: ums command does not mount SD card partitions
@ 2016-08-30 12:16     ` Ye Li
From: Ye Li @ 2016-08-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Fabio,

On 8/25/2016 8:18 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> Hi Ye Li,
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Ye Li <ye.li@nxp.com> wrote:
>> Hi Fabio,
>>
>>    I just tried 'ums' on mx7d sabresd with latest u-boot-imx codes. It works well on my board. I don't see your issue. My SD card has a FAT partition. I can access it from my host after running the "ums 0 mmc 0".
> Thanks for trying it on your side.
>
> Could you please try "ums 0 mmc 0" several times in a row?
>
> I notice that sometimes the partitions mount automatically, sometimes not.
>
> Thanks

I tried with 20 times, no issue found.  Could you change a USB cable and try again.

Best regards,

Ye Li

* [U-Boot] mx7: ums command does not mount SD card partitions
@ 2016-08-31 18:16       ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-08-31 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Ye Li,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Ye Li <ye.li@nxp.com> wrote:

> I tried with 20 times, no issue found.  Could you change a USB cable and try again.

Thanks for testing.

Just want to make sure we are using the same method to test this.

When I run "ums 0 mmc 0" on mx7d sabresd I do see the "/dev/sdb1" to
appear every time.
I am using Ubuntu on my host PC and the two USB stick icons (one for
each partition) do appear in the left column.

However, the two partitions do not automount all the time:

$ ls -al /media/fabio/dff160a2-b8d2-4964-babe-a7d4f47e5c4e/
ls: cannot access /media/fabio/dff160a2-b8d2-4964-babe-a7d4f47e5c4e/:
No such file or directory

$ ls -al /media/fabio/Boot\ imx7d-/
ls: cannot access /media/fabio/Boot imx7d-/: No such file or directory

On mx6 I see the partitions to mount automatically every time, so I
don't think it would be a USB cable problem.

Thanks