* Is it safe for a NIC driver to use all the 48 bytes of skb->cb?
@ 2020-02-15  5:23 Dexuan Cui
From: Dexuan Cui @ 2020-02-15  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haiyang Zhang, Stephen Hemminger, David S. Miller, netdev,
	KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel
  Cc: linux-hyperv

Hi,
It looks all the layers of drivers among the network stack can use the 48-byte
skb->cb array. Is there any rule how they should coordinate with each other?

I noticed the last 16 bytes are used by struct skb_gso_cb:

include/linux/skbuff.h:
struct skb_gso_cb {
        union {
                int     mac_offset;
                int     data_offset;
        };
        int     encap_level;
        __wsum  csum;
        __u16   csum_start;
};
#define SKB_SGO_CB_OFFSET       32
#define SKB_GSO_CB(skb) ((struct skb_gso_cb *)((skb)->cb + SKB_SGO_CB_OFFSET))

Does this mean a low level NIC driver (e.g. hv_netvsc) should only use
the first 32 bytes? What if the upper layer network stack starts to take up
more space in the future?

Now hv_netvsc assumes it can use all of the 48-bytes, though it uses only
20 bytes, but just in case the struct hv_netvsc_packet grows to >32 bytes in the
future, should we change the BUILD_BUG_ON() in netvsc_start_xmit() to
 BUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(struct hv_netvsc_packet) > SKB_SGO_CB_OFFSET);
?

struct hv_netvsc_packet {
        /* Bookkeeping stuff */
        u8 cp_partial; /* partial copy into send buffer */

        u8 rmsg_size; /* RNDIS header and PPI size */
        u8 rmsg_pgcnt; /* page count of RNDIS header and PPI */
        u8 page_buf_cnt;

        u16 q_idx;
        u16 total_packets;

        u32 total_bytes;
        u32 send_buf_index;
        u32 total_data_buflen;
};

static int netvsc_start_xmit(struct sk_buff *skb, struct net_device *net)
{
        /*
         * Place the rndis header in the skb head room and
         * the skb->cb will be used for hv_netvsc_packet
         * structure.
         */
        ret = skb_cow_head(skb, RNDIS_AND_PPI_SIZE);
        if (ret)
                goto no_memory;

        /* Use the skb control buffer for building up the packet */
        BUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(struct hv_netvsc_packet) >
                        FIELD_SIZEOF(struct sk_buff, cb));
        packet = (struct hv_netvsc_packet *)skb->cb;

Thanks,
-- Dexuan

* RE: Is it safe for a NIC driver to use all the 48 bytes of skb->cb?
@ 2020-02-15 15:20 ` Haiyang Zhang
From: Haiyang Zhang @ 2020-02-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dexuan Cui, Stephen Hemminger, David S. Miller, netdev,
	KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel
  Cc: linux-hyperv

According to the comments in skbuff.h below, it is the responsibility of the owning
layer to make a SKB clone, if it wants to keep the data across layers. So, every layer
can still use all of the 48 bytes.

        /*
         * This is the control buffer. It is free to use for every
         * layer. Please put your private variables there. If you
         * want to keep them across layers you have to do a skb_clone()
         * first. This is owned by whoever has the skb queued ATM.
         */
        char                    cb[48] __aligned(8);

> Now hv_netvsc assumes it can use all of the 48-bytes, though it uses only
> 20 bytes, but just in case the struct hv_netvsc_packet grows to >32 bytes in the
> future, should we change the BUILD_BUG_ON() in netvsc_start_xmit() to
> BUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(struct hv_netvsc_packet) > SKB_SGO_CB_OFFSET); ?

Based on the explanation above, the existing hv_netvsc code is correct.

Thanks,
- Haiyang

* RE: Is it safe for a NIC driver to use all the 48 bytes of skb->cb?
@ 2020-02-15 18:04   ` Dexuan Cui
From: Dexuan Cui @ 2020-02-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haiyang Zhang, Stephen Hemminger, David S. Miller, netdev,
	KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel
> According to the comments in skbuff.h below, it is the responsibility of the
> owning layer to make a SKB clone, if it wants to keep the data across layers.
> So, every layer can still use all of the 48 bytes.
>
>         /*
>          * This is the control buffer. It is free to use for every
>          * layer. Please put your private variables there. If you
>          * want to keep them across layers you have to do a skb_clone()
>          * first. This is owned by whoever has the skb queued ATM.
>          */
>         char                    cb[48] __aligned(8);
>
> > Now hv_netvsc assumes it can use all of the 48-bytes, though it uses only
> > 20 bytes, but just in case the struct hv_netvsc_packet grows to >32 bytes in
> the
> > future, should we change the BUILD_BUG_ON() in netvsc_start_xmit() to
> > BUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(struct hv_netvsc_packet) > SKB_SGO_CB_OFFSET); ?
>
> Based on the explanation above, the existing hv_netvsc code is correct.
>
> Thanks,
> - Haiyang

Got it. So if the upper layer saves something in the cb, it must do a skb_clone()
and pass the new skb to hv_netvsc. hv_netvsc is the lowest layer in the network
stack, so it can use all the 48 bytes without calling skb_clone().

BTW, now I happen to have a different question: in netvsc_probe() we have
net->needed_headroom = RNDIS_AND_PPI_SIZE;
I think this means when the network stack (ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, UDP,etc) passes a
skb to hv_netvsc, the skb's headroom is increased by an extra size of
net->needed_headroom, right? Then in netvsc_xmit(), why do we still need to
call skb_cow_head(skb, RNDIS_AND_PPI_SIZE)? -- this looks unnecessary to me?

PS, what does the "cow" here mean? Copy On Write? It looks skb_cow_head()
just copies the data (if necessary) and it has nothing to do with the
write-protection in the MMU code.

@ 2020-02-17 22:31     ` Haiyang Zhang
From: Haiyang Zhang @ 2020-02-17 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dexuan Cui, Stephen Hemminger, David S. Miller, netdev,
	KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel
  Cc: linux-hyperv

skb_cow_head() only expands the headroom if it is not enough, in case some
upper layer path didn't reserve enough.

> PS, what does the "cow" here mean? Copy On Write? It looks skb_cow_head()
> just copies the data (if necessary) and it has nothing to do with the
> write-protection in the MMU code.

Unrelated to MMU. It just copies some data to make room for writing.

Thanks,
- Haiyang