* Image size reduction
@ 2020-03-29 16:28 Ajam Ali
From: Ajam Ali @ 2020-03-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi All,

Actually my current image size is 3.9GB because of heavy size packages required by my project and without project required packages my image size in Yocto is 800MB.

I want to reduce the image size as maximum as possible.
Please suggest the best possible way so that I could reduce the maximum possible size(desirable below 1.5 GB).

Thanks in advance,
Ajam Ali

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>
::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.
________________________________

* Re: [yocto] Image size reduction
@ 2020-03-29 21:14 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-03-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajam Ali; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:29 AM Ajam Ali <ajama@hcl.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Actually my current image size is 3.9GB because of heavy size packages required by my project and without project required packages my image size in Yocto is 800MB.
>
> I want to reduce the image size as maximum as possible.
> Please suggest the best possible way so that I could reduce the maximum possible size(desirable below 1.5 GB).

Add INHERIT += "buildhistory" to local.conf and then do a build

Start looking at the buildhistory folder especially the size file
images/<machine>/glibc/<image-name>/installed-package-sizes.txt

@ 2020-03-30  3:00   ` Ajam Ali
From: Ajam Ali @ 2020-03-30  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi khemraj,

Please suggest the way to reduce the image size. Your earlier suggestion is not that much helpful.

Thanks,
Ajam Ali

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>
________________________________
[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender.]

@ 2020-03-30  7:04     ` Mikko Rapeli
From: Mikko Rapeli @ 2020-03-30  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ajama; +Cc: raj.khem, yocto

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 03:00:05AM +0000, Ajam Ali wrote:
> Hi khemraj,
>
> Please suggest the way to reduce the image size. Your earlier suggestion is not that much helpful.

Actually suggestion to use buildhistory is the first critical step because without
this you can't easily see where the size comes from. buildhistory provides
for example the list of installed binary packages ordered by size for every image
built. Then it enables you to easily check the dependencies of variour packages
and detect, e.g. who brings perl or python to the image.

Cheers,

-Mikko

* Re: Image size reduction
@ 2020-04-04 16:06 ` Gmane Admin
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-04-04 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Op 29-03-2020 om 18:28 schreef Ajam Ali:
> Hi All,
>
> Actually my current image size is 3.9GB because of heavy size packages
> required by my project and without project required packages my image
> size in Yocto is 800MB.

So your project adds 3.1GB right

> I want to reduce the image size as maximum as possible.

3.1GB is huge. Compare to f.i. Libreoffice (installed 0.5GB or so).
Either your own code has a lot of fat, or you are pulling in lots of
packages you don't really need. But is there no way to advise you
without knowing more.

@ 2020-04-04 16:27   ` Ajam Ali
From: Ajam Ali @ 2020-04-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, gley-yocto

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am working on your suggestions.
I will let you know if it did not work for me.

Regards,
Ajam Ali

________________________________

@ 2020-04-13 17:48     ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2020-04-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajam Ali, yocto, gley-yocto

On 2020-04-04 12:27 p.m., Ajam Ali wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. I am working on your suggestions.
> I will let you know if it did not work for me.

Ajam,

It would be useful if you could reply either way.

If there's still a problem then perhaps someone can help.

If you are able to resolve the issue, then a brief summary

of what you did could help the next person who has a similar

issue.

Thanks,

../Randy

> Regards,
> Ajam Ali

# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

* Re: [yocto] Image size reduction
@ 2020-04-14 15:51       ` Ajam Ali
From: Ajam Ali @ 2020-04-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy MacLeod, yocto, gley-yocto

Hi Randy,

In my image most of the size is consumed by heavy size packages.
So i have given this task of image size reduction to application team.
If i will remove the dependencies then may be some feature get disabled which could be needed.
Till now i am able to remove only python3 from dependencies.

Thanks,
Ajam Ali
________________________________

@ 2020-04-14 22:32         ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2020-04-14 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajam Ali, yocto, gley-yocto

On 2020-04-14 11:51 a.m., Ajam Ali wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> In my image most of the size is consumed by heavy size packages.
> So i have given this task of image size reduction to application team.
> If i will remove the dependencies then may be some feature get disabled
> which could be needed.
> Till now i am able to remove only python3 from dependencies.

Thanks for the summary Ajam.
../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod