* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
       [not found] <E1AgFqB-0007Cz-Gy@sc8-sf-list1.sourceforge.net>
@ 2004-01-13 14:39 ` Ryan Pipkin
From: Ryan Pipkin @ 2004-01-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wind River visionPROBE II
I received one of these units for xscale in an eval kit.  They offered a
30 day trial period for the software but we never took them up on it.
We purchased the bdi2000 and have been happy.  Can I do anything with
this hardware without their software?  Has anyone been able to use it to
program flash?  I would hate to throw it away, but it seems to be useless.

    Thanks.

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Inet Technologies, Inc.

* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
@ 2004-01-13 22:11   ` Joe Hamman
From: Joe Hamman @ 2004-01-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Unfortunately, no.  The logic in the device is SRAM-based and
proprietary.  If it were a cheap "bit-wiggler", there might be a
possibility.

Regards,
Joe

@ 2004-01-14 15:34   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-01-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <IBEKKAEMFNGMMNNIBFEMMEMNCLAA.joe.hamman@embeddedspecialties.com> you wrote:
> He'd be selling a paperweight.  The visionPROBE II hardware contains an
> encrypted license key.  His is expired.  The only way to reactivate it

Can you please stop the thread now? I think everybody understood what
all this means.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
G's Third Law:             In spite of all evidence  to  the  contra-
ry,  the  entire  universe  is composed of only two basic substances:
magic and bullshit.
H's Dictum:                There is no magic ...

* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
@ 2004-01-14 15:15 ` Joe Hamman
From: Joe Hamman @ 2004-01-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

He'd be selling a paperweight.  The visionPROBE II hardware contains an
encrypted license key.  His is expired.  The only way to reactivate it
is to get a new key from Wind River ($$$).

* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
@ 2004-01-14 13:20 VanBaren, Gerald
From: VanBaren, Gerald @ 2004-01-14 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2004-01-14  9:44     ` Richard Danter
From: Richard Danter @ 2004-01-14  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Anders Larsen wrote:
> Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com> schreibt:
>
>>VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) wrote:
>>
>>>My suggestion: sell it on eBay as a spare.  If someone is using a
>>
>>visionIce, it is nice to have backup hardware in case one goes <poof>.
>>
>>Unfortunately selling it on eBay would be a contravention of the
>>software license. Don't do it!
>

> IANAL, but I guess Ryan isn't bound by any software license, since he
> only has the VisionICE _hardware_ to sell...

There is software running on the vICE/vProbe, so you don't have to be
selling the debugger GUI (vClick) to break the non-transferrable part of
the license.

Even if that were not the case, it would not be very fair on the
unfortunate person who bought the probe. Since WR track every probe by
it's serial number, the buyer would be unable to get a real license.

So they would have paid money for something they can not use.

Guess it is a moral decision then - do you sell something you know the
buyer will be unable to use??

* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
@ 2004-01-14  9:26   ` Anders Larsen
From: Anders Larsen @ 2004-01-14  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com> schreibt:
>VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) wrote:
>> My suggestion: sell it on eBay as a spare.  If someone is using a
>visionIce, it is nice to have backup hardware in case one goes <poof>.
>
>Unfortunately selling it on eBay would be a contravention of the
>software license. Don't do it!

IANAL, but I guess Ryan isn't bound by any software license, since he
only has the VisionICE _hardware_ to sell...

Cheers
 Anders

BTW: Please do NOT quote the entire post when replying, ONLY the part(s)
you're responding to - you'd improve readability and avoid clogging the
list archives with quotes of quoted disclaimers and similar noise!

* [U-Boot-Users] Wind River visionProbe II
@ 2004-01-14  9:05 ` Richard Danter
From: Richard Danter @ 2004-01-14  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2004-01-13 22:23 VanBaren, Gerald