* Inquiry Regarding Kernel GPL License and UI App Source Code Requirement in Yocto Base Image  #yocto #qt5 #bitbake #gplv3 #kernel  #kernelmodule
@ 2023-05-31  9:04 Rohith
       [not found] ` <17643A68960DA9C2.21586@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Rohith @ 2023-05-31  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Since the base image of Yocto has the Kernel license type as GPL, if I include my UI Application binary in the Yocto Base image will I need to expose my UI App source code?

* Re: [yocto] Inquiry Regarding Kernel GPL License and UI App Source Code Requirement in Yocto Base Image #yocto #qt5 #bitbake #gplv3 #kernel #kernelmodule
  2023-05-31  9:04 Inquiry Regarding Kernel GPL License and UI App Source Code Requirement in Yocto Base Image #yocto #qt5 #bitbake #gplv3 #kernel #kernelmodule Rohith
@ 2023-05-31 12:32 ` Michael Opdenacker
       [not found] ` <17643A68960DA9C2.21586@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-31 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohith; +Cc: yocto

Hi Rohith

On 31.05.23 at 11:04, Rohith wrote:
> Since the base image of Yocto has the Kernel license type as GPL, if I
> include my UI Application binary in the Yocto Base image will I need
> to expose my UI App source code?

No, the same applies to desktop GNU/Linux distributions. You can
develop, use and ship software with the license of your choice
(including proprietary), you don't extend GPL software or link with it.
Otherwise, only GPL compatible licenses would exist in the Linux world.

The GPL FAQ address this kind of questions:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

@ 2023-05-31 12:38   ` Mauro Ziliani
From: Mauro Ziliani @ 2023-05-31 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all.

As my personal experience with yocto and qt5 (and Qt Company) if you
make an UI application based on Qt5 you have to give the possibility of
reverse engineering of your application, due to Qt5 is LGPL.

So you are not mandatory to publish the code, but the system must be
open for reverse engineerig.

A final user can replace your qt5 libraries with its own qt5 libraries
modified

--
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mauroziliani

@ 2023-05-31 12:41   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-31 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohith; +Cc: michael.opdenacker, yocto

On 31.05.23 at 14:32, Michael Opdenacker via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> Hi Rohith
>
> On 31.05.23 at 11:04, Rohith wrote:
>> Since the base image of Yocto has the Kernel license type as GPL, if
>> I include my UI Application binary in the Yocto Base image will I
>> need to expose my UI App source code?
>

> No, the same applies to desktop GNU/Linux distributions. You can
> develop, use and ship software with the license of your choice
> (including proprietary), you don't extend GPL software or link with
> it. Otherwise, only GPL compatible licenses would exist in the Linux
> world.
>
> The GPL FAQ address this kind of questions:
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

I meant: "provided you don't extend...".

Michael.

--

@ 2023-05-31 12:43     ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-31 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Ziliani; +Cc: yocto

On 31.05.23 at 14:38, Mauro Ziliani wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> As my personal experience with yocto and qt5 (and Qt Company) if you
> make an UI application based on Qt5 you have to give the possibility
> of reverse engineering of your application, due to Qt5 is LGPL.
>
> So you are not mandatory to publish the code, but the system must be
> open for reverse engineerig.
>
> A final user can replace your qt5 libraries with its own qt5 libraries
> modified

Right, you have to understand the requirements of the libraries you link
your code with.
Michael.