* omap3camera and linux-omap
@ 2010-08-06 13:48 Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2010-08-06 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap; +Cc: sakari.ailus

I am currently using Sakari's omap3camera repository (branch 'devel'). 'git merge-base linux-omap omap3camera' tells me that the last commit omap3camera has in common with linux-omap is 40a0c47, from July 7 2010.  But there are >1000 commits which are only in omap3camera, dating back to 2008.

Is this destined to stay this way?  Or will the omap3camera tree be merged into linux-omap at some point?

When proposing a patch for the omap3camera tree, should it be sent to this list?

Thanks,
Michael

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner, Hans-Joachim Reich

* Patches Xf86-video-omapfb
@ 2010-08-06 14:06 ` Henk Geraads
From: Henk Geraads @ 2010-08-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hi I would like to have the "patches" of Eino-Ville Talvala on the
Xf86-video-omapfb which fixes the problems using DSS2 on OMAP3 EVM / Angstrom with rotation.
These fixes where made dec. 2009

Who can help me on this?

Best regards,

Henk

* RE: omap3camera and linux-omap
@ 2010-08-06 15:32 ` Aguirre, Sergio
From: Aguirre, Sergio @ 2010-08-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones, linux-omap; +Cc: sakari.ailus

Hi Michael,

This is because devel branch keeps a detailed development history since we started working on the camera driver. At the end, the patches submitted will be a consolidated set, which should end in something around ~12 patches or so..

> Or will the omap3camera tree be merged into linux-omap at some point?

The omap3camera submission is on hold, because the camera driver is dependant on Media controller framework, which is holding for merge in linux-media mailing list.

> When proposing a patch for the omap3camera tree, should it be sent to this
> list?

You should preferably send the patches to linux-media (at) vger.kernel.org mailing with cc to Sakari Ailus and Laurent Pinchart.

So far we have been keeping patch review internally, because we didn't want to pollute the mailing list with patches to unsubmitted code.

Regards,
Sergio

@ 2010-08-09 15:41   ` Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2010-08-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aguirre, Sergio; +Cc: linux-omap, sakari.ailus

Aguirre, Sergio wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the helpful reply.  Can you also clarify for me the difference between omap3camera and your linux-omap-camera (http://dev.omapzoom.org/?p=saaguirre/linux-omap-camera.git;a=summary) repositories?

I assume this development has mainly happened on the "board-rx51*" platform?

Ultimately I want to get raw sensor data to memory.  Do you foresee any problems doing that with the current state of omap3camera?  Might I be better off going with a kernel with v4l2_int_device at first?

@ 2010-08-09 16:51     ` Aguirre, Sergio
From: Aguirre, Sergio @ 2010-08-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones; +Cc: linux-omap, sakari.ailus

Hi Michael,

No problem.

The difference is that, in my 'omap-devel' branch, you'll find:

1. Latest linux-omap master.
2. Some yet unmerged OMAP Zoom3 patches (Touchscreen, NEC LCD panel)
3. Some patches to support Beagleboard xM (OMAP3730)
4. Merged Sakari's 'devel' branch.
5. Some omap3 camera driver unmerged "legacy nodes" removal patches from Laurent Pinchart.
6. Some patches to add support for different RAW Patterns, which I'm still working on.
7. Sony IMX046 8MP CSI-2 Sensor driver, present in Zoom3.
8. LV8093 Lens actuator driver, present on Zoom3 and in tandem with IMX046 sensor

> I assume this development has mainly happened on the "board-rx51*"
> platform?

Yeah, Sakari and Laurent maintain the rx51 (a.k.a. Nokia N900) camera
support.

> Ultimately I want to get raw sensor data to memory.  Do you foresee any
> problems doing that with the current state of omap3camera?

It shouldn't be a problem, as soon as you configure the pipeline adequately.

Please see this Media controller testapp, maintained by Laurent Pinchart, for help on how to do that:

http://git.ideasonboard.org/?p=media-ctl.git;a=summary

 Might I be
> better off going with a kernel with v4l2_int_device at first?

I won't recommend that. You probably noticed that my tree still keeps some branches with support for that old driver, but it was for some maintenance support for a code mainline for Texas Instruments.

I'll definitely recommend to stick with the latest code, and most preferably base your work on Sakari's tree (i.e. gitorious.org/omap3camera tree), so we can all reference to a standard codebase.

I appreciate your interest in contributing with the camera driver development, and definitely looking forward for any patches you may want to share with us.

Regards,
Sergio

@ 2010-08-09 17:35     ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2010-08-09 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones; +Cc: Aguirre, Sergio, linux-omap

Hi Michael and Sergio,

Michael Jones wrote:
> Aguirre, Sergio wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: linux-omap-owner@vger.kernel.org
>>> [mailto:linux-omap- owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Michael
>>> Jones Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 8:48 AM To:
>>> linux-omap@vger.kernel.org Cc:
>>> sakari.ailus@maxwell.research.nokia.com Subject: omap3camera and
>>> linux-omap
>>>
>>> I am currently using Sakari's omap3camera repository (branch
>>> 'devel'). 'git merge-base linux-omap omap3camera' tells me that
>>> the last commit omap3camera has in common with linux-omap is
>>> 40a0c47, from July 7 2010. But there are >1000 commits which are
>>> only in omap3camera, dating back to 2008.
>>>
>>> Is this destined to stay this way?
>>
>> This is because devel branch keeps a detailed development history
>> since we started working on the camera driver. At the end, the
>> patches submitted will be a consolidated set, which should end in
>> something around ~12 patches or so..
>>
>>> Or will the omap3camera tree be merged into linux-omap at some
>>> point?
>>
>> The omap3camera submission is on hold, because the camera driver is
>> dependant on Media controller framework, which is holding for merge
>> in linux-media mailing list.
>>
>>> When proposing a patch for the omap3camera tree, should it be
>>> sent to this list?
>>
>> You should preferably send the patches to linux-media (at)
>> vger.kernel.org mailing with cc to Sakari Ailus and Laurent
>> Pinchart.
>>
>> So far we have been keeping patch review internally, because we
>> didn't want to pollute the mailing list with patches to unsubmitted
>> code.
>>
>> Regards, Sergio
>>
>>> Thanks, Michael
>>>

> Hi Sergio,
>
> Thanks for the helpful reply.  Can you also clarify for me the
> difference between omap3camera and your linux-omap-camera
> (http://dev.omapzoom.org/?p=saaguirre/linux-omap-camera.git;a=summary)
> repositories?
>
> I assume this development has mainly happened on the "board-rx51*"
> platform?

As Sergio noted, this is a tree for N900. The main point for the tree,
however, is the OMAP 3 ISP driver, which can be tested on N900 as the
tree also contains N900 sensor, lens and flash drivers.

> Ultimately I want to get raw sensor data to memory.  Do you foresee
> any problems doing that with the current state of omap3camera?  Might
> I be better off going with a kernel with v4l2_int_device at first?

Please don't. It's basically obsolete.

Go with v4l2_subdev instead. If you have a sensor driver to write, the
et8ek8 driver in the omap3camera tree can be used as an example on what
ops the sensor driver should implement.

Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@maxwell.research.nokia.com

* gpmc_cs_request behaviour
@ 2010-08-25  7:05   ` Henk Geraads
From: Henk Geraads @ 2010-08-25  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap; +Cc: Jos Aerts

Hi,

I am new on kernel module programming for a OMAP2. I want to access a external device through nCS3 of an OMAP3530. I expect that the function "gpmc_cs_request" enables you the access to that memoryregion and that the variable "cs_mem_base" is set to the memory starting point of the requested nCSx.

But in my case the variable has the value of the requested memory size (SZ_16M).

What do I wrong?

Henk

snipped of the code:

  if (register_chrdev(MYDEV_MAJOR,"Device",&mydev_fops))
  {
    printk("\rFiFo: Failed to get major %d\n\r", MYDEV_MAJOR);
    return -EIO;
  }

  if (gpmc_cs_request(3, SZ_16M, &cs_mem_base) < 0) {
	printk("CM-T35: Failed request CS3 for GPMC mem for Device\n");
	return -ENODEV;
  }
  printk("\rMemory Address: %lx\n\r",cs_mem_base);